The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 9, 2009, 10:23 AM   #26
simonkenton

A friend who is a sharpshooter (retired from a military rifle team) tried one of my MN 44s from 50 yards, using his small sand bags. The bore is fairly shiny but not bright. This guy has won some AR matches from 200 and 600 yards with iron sights.

He had such a large group from his sandbags on the black plastic target (yellow holes) that he never found where two of the rounds even went. From 50 yards.

Even for an M44 that is horrible accuracy. Did he have the bayonet extended.?
Even still, there is no comparison between the M44 and the Finnish M39.
Like comparing an air cooled VW van to a turbocharged Porsche.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:59 PM   #27
7jinxed7

I looked into a few Swiss Mausers,German and Yugos. The swiss K31 uses a different caliber 7.5x55 if I remember right. The German and Yugo uses the 8mmx57.I'm leanin' for the Yugo due to cost. The Germans seem to be in worse shape for more money. I've also noticed some have straight bolt levers and some are slanted. Why the difference?
Old September 9, 2009, 09:13 PM   #28
.300 Weatherby Mag

If you can find a Mosin made by Remington or Westinghouse I would grab it... Or if you come across a Finn buy that as well... My Remington built mosin will produce groups right at MOA off a rest, with me have a very good day... Its will shoot 2 MOA without issue... Mine prefers the wolf 148 gr FMJs... I do not shoot milsurp in mine...
Old September 10, 2009, 02:06 AM   #29
Ignition Override

simonkenton:
Yes, the bayonet was extended. I sold that laminated rifle in July for the original price ($130).

Ironically, I took my other MN 44 to the range today with about 20 rds. of HB Bulgarian yellow-tip and 20 rds. of Russian (LB?).
With the bayo extended, the group was really large and right of the bulls eye with the Bulgarian from 50 yards, but folded, the next group was much better. By some miracle, two of those shots made one 'large' hole in the bulls eye (fluke). Almost as good as my LE #4 group (also a bright bore/rifling).

The group with the copper-washed Russian ammo, bayo folded was worse, but still a bit better than what Mike did with the other 44 (Bulg. HB). These 44s are strange animals. Some claim that bores can be different sizes.

Last edited by Ignition Override; September 10, 2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:41 AM   #30
jsmaye

Quote:
I looked into a few Swiss Mausers,German and Yugos. The swiss K31 uses a different caliber 7.5x55 if I remember right. The German and Yugo uses the 8mmx57.I'm leanin' for the Yugo due to cost. The Germans seem to be in worse shape for more money. I've also noticed some have straight bolt levers and some are slanted. Why the difference?
If the K31s are in your budget, then they are the way to go. You get Swiss quality, Swiss care, and the fact that, since the Swiss never went to war, the bores are going to be in much better shape than the Mausers and Mosins. The GP11 ammo is all match grade, and will cost a little more, too. All-in-all, it's a target-grade rifle disguised as a military surplus. Plus the straight-pull bolt is a bit of a novelty.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:30 AM   #31
simonkenton

Yeah that M44 is a strange beast, the Commies figured, if Ivan couldn't shoot the charging Krauts, he could use the bayonet!

They do make great photos, using a time exposure on a nighttime shot.
What a fireball!
Old September 17, 2009, 02:16 AM   #32
Ignition Override

Yes.
Actually, my LE #4 is a good bit better, and you should see it in the hands of a friend who is a marksman.

His only shot at 100 yards with the iron sights after a few practice from 50:
he was in a kneeling position using just his hands-the only shot from 100 yards went right in the bulls eye. Mike had never used an LE, at least not for many years.

But with the bayo folded, the 44 surprised me, and I'm untrained at any shooting. Embarassing, especially for my older age.

Last edited by Ignition Override; September 18, 2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old September 27, 2009, 06:00 PM   #33
rocinante

I have a mn 91/30 and a yugo 24/47. I had a turkish mauser too.

The MN action after a few rounds gets very sticky and difficult to open after a few round. Might be the lacquer on the rounds but it is not much fun. The yugo was a lot smoother but exhibited some of the same behavior. Now its bolt is blued and it might smooth out in time. The turk was dreamy and its action always silky and compliant.

They all kick big time and I shoot so poorly I can't testify to accuracy. All in all I like the mauser and just bought some german AP ammo for 21 cents a round. You can get 50s yugo and romanian all day long around 25 a round. I got some yugo m75 for about 35 a round still sealed in the spam can. Not much more than shooting the MN

All in all the mausers are better quality guns. I believe my yugo is originally an FN.
Old September 27, 2009, 07:30 PM   #34
Chris_B

Looking at WWII bolt action rifles?

Ever consider a 1903 or a 1903A3? Great rifles, Mauser action. Classic andgood performing cartridge, parts are still all over. I've even seen some NOS USGI C stocks lately
Old September 27, 2009, 07:33 PM   #35
simonkenton

Rocinante, I give you five gold stars for the user name.
Don Quixote's horse, pretty good.