The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 2, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
hilligan

What's in your BOB?

Pardon questions from a newby to your site; but I did a search and found nothing:

Given the times and the attack on our nation; what is in your BOB, (Bug-Out-Bag)? I have to plan on the wife and I, both in our 60's; mountains are close, water is available, game is plentiful, and it's cold as a ..... well ..... it's cold most of the year here. Especially in the mountains.

I figure given my age and disabilities, I can realistically carry 35-40 pounds without too much trouble and the wife could carry maybe 20-30 pounds in backpacks.

What kind of backpack? Will a cheapie WalMart backpack work or do I need to get something like a Maxpedition?

Another question: do you know of a paperback identifying edible plants, primarily in the Rockies? Specifically, if possible, The Sangre de Cristos and San Juan Mountains?

Thanks for your input.

BTW, nice site, good folks, (mostly).

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45
Old March 2, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
2Old2Change

Welcome Aboard, Hilligan; That said, my wife and I are older than you, and live in the Ozark Mountains. So far as a BOB, our thinking is to just stay put. Neither one of us are capable of carrying much of a load, and certainly not for any distances. We have essentially all the needed items, i.e., water,edible plants, shelter,wild animals, etc, close by. But recently I picked up Pocket Tutor Guide, by Waterford Press. It's called "Edible Wild Plants", an introduction to familiar North American Species.
It is folding,slick finished, almost like plastic, and would take a beating in your pocket or BOB. $5.95 To order, call Waterford Press, 1-800-434-2555
IBSN-10 1-58355-127-1 is the catalog number.
Hopefully, this is what you are looking for. Enjoy the great outdoors!!
Old March 2, 2009, 12:32 PM   #3
hilligan

Thanks 2Old

I went to Amazon and ordered it along with the medicinal one.

Maybe between you and Waterford the wife and I can survive for a week or two.

Staying put is an option; but after watching the chaos after Katrina, I don't know ... Seems like our new administration is bent on taking everything away from anybody that has anything and giving it to people that have never hit a lick in their lives. I don't think I want to play that game.

Gonna be interesting .... Hope I live long enough to see what happens.

Thanks for your input and good luck.
Old March 2, 2009, 02:50 PM   #4
sholling

See my response to your other post.