The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 21, 2016, 04:14 PM   #51
Old Bill Dibble

True but did not the Model 8 come in .300 Savage well prior to the US entry in WWII?
Old August 21, 2016, 06:26 PM   #52
mavracer

No not in the model 8, the 300 savage was available when they redesigned into the Model 81 in 1936.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 25, 2016, 10:15 AM   #53
Picher

The .35 Rem is a very capable cartridge, made even better by Lever-Revolution ammo.

The problem is not with the cartridge, it's with the sighting system that comes on the rifles. I've had friends who shot well on target not be able to hit a deer with the open rear sight.

One friend never got a deer, but shot at about 5 per year. He looked right over the rear sight. After I installed a receiver sight (and higher front), he hit a running deer at 50 yards in the woods. Thought he missed the first shot, so shot again. The first went through the heart and the second, the neck. Both were killing shots.

Another friend and shooting buddy shot five rounds at a standing buck, at about 40 yards. He missed, and the deer just stood there, looking at him.

Bottom line, get a receiver sight, a red dot, or low-powered scope on that baby before you miss or worse, wound a deer and have it run off!!!