The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1
wmo964

Starting on Herter's press

I am getting into reloading and someone is giving me an old Herter's press. I know I need to get a shell holder adapter. I was wondering what else I will need to get started. Here are some pics of what I will receive. I am not even sure what model it is. Thanks in advance for your guys advice.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...Herters014.jpg
Old March 9, 2008, 09:29 PM   #2
wncchester

First, read the stickys above. Then get at least one reloading manual, I prefer Lymans for beginners - and advanced too for that matter. And order some loading suppliers catalogs online, they're free from Midway, Grafs, MidSouth, Natchez, etc.
Old March 10, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3
qajaq59

Start with a couple of books. The ABC's of Reloading should be one and a loading manual should be the other. After you read them you'll have a good idea of what to buy. I know Lee dies come with the right shell holder for whatever caliber die you order, and my guess is that most other dies makers probably supply them as well.
Old March 10, 2008, 10:40 PM   #4
.45 COLT

I don't remember where I got my adaptor for the shell holders. That's the only drawback to a Herters, it won't take standard shellholders without that adaptor. I have a couple of Herters presses, they'll outlast any great-grandchildren I might have.

Everybody has their favorite how-to book, I like The ABCs Of Reloading 5th Edition. I have all of them up through the 7th, I like the 5th the best. I usually see various old copies at gun shows, most in new or like-new condition, pretty cheap.

DC