The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Jeffenwulf

New reloader

Hey guys/gals. I need some information on what I'll need for reloading a range of shells for bolt action rifles and auto handguns.

I've been running the search function quite a bit, but I've got a few questions about reloading components. I picked up a Lyman turret press for starters. I've got my eye on Lee deluxe dies with the factory crimp die for each of the calibers. My biggest concern right now is with the powder measure. I need one that I won't have to replace any time soon that also works accurately with a range of powders.

If anyone has suggestions on components, I'm all ears. I'm going to start ordering from Midway this weekend. I'm not 100% sold on using Lee/Lyman/Hornady etc, I really don't have a preference. I just need things that will work with the T-Mag II turret press. I'm open to any suggestions since I don't know a whole lot about reloading yet. Turning down good advice would just be stupid.

What I'll likely reload:
.380 ACP
.45 ACP

What I may end up reloading later:
.40 S&W - I don't have one of these yet
9MM - ammo prices here = $13.50/100 WWB ... so no reason yet
who knows what else
Old March 1, 2008, 12:26 PM   #2
remshooter

I have always been pleased with my RCBS Uniflow measure. It's accurate and very well made. It has the changable cylinders for large/small loads but I think unless you go from one extream to the other that one size would fit all.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old March 1, 2008, 12:46 PM   #3
RKJ

If you are looking at Lee why not go with their powder measure too? I used a Turret press and their PM years ago and it worked just fine for me. It might not be the most solid of the ones you are looking at but with normal use it would last you a long time. I loaded 30/06, .45 acp, .44 mag with mine. I got a 550B and sold it, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another.
Old March 1, 2008, 07:07 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

If you don't have a manual, go buy one and read it before you do anything else. Then look at what comes with the RCBS Beginner's Kit. It'll tell you what else you need other than dies and shell holders. A scale for one.
The .270 and .30-06 should use the same shell holder.
You will want to shop around first. Starting in your local gun shop. Midway isn't the cheapest nor only source for anything. The shipping alone will negate any cost saving they might get you.
Old March 1, 2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Jeffenwulf

I've got a good store locally, they carry a large selection of actual cartridge components, but the rest I'll need to purchase online. I'm not going to be participating in matches or anything, but I'd like the powder part of the process to be as dummy-proof as possible. I have Lyman's 48th on order already, looking into a few others (like the ABC's of reloading) once I know more.
Old March 1, 2008, 11:55 PM   #6
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
What I'll likely reload:
.380 ACP
.45 ACP
I reload all of those.

Where in Texas are you?

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 2, 2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Sevens

If Jeff lives anywhere near you, he'll make this entire thread a moot point. In the mean time, I'll talk powder measures.

If you are on a very tight budget, the Lee Perfect Powder measure is a decent tool for the almost zero money it costs compared to the others. But it will never look or feel like a durable, high quality and rock solid part of your bench. But does it work? Yes, it works well.

I use the Hornady powder measure. It costs 3-4 times as much as the Lee, and works just as well but I don't know that it works much better. It's built like an Abrams tank. I haven't used the RCBS measure, but it seems to be built very much like the Hornady. I would buy either of them.

As for how accurate or repeatable it is, a lot of it depends on the powder you are using. A good spherical powder is simply going to work better in one of these devices. Stick and flake powder typically doesn't work as well.

I'm not a fan of the Lee Auto Disk Powder measure as you have certain set volumes you can use, but plenty of folks use it regularly with great success. Texas Sea Ray is one of those folks, and you could put up any argument you want until you see the groups he shoots at 50 feet. Then you drop the argument.
Old March 2, 2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Jeffenwulf

Stationed at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo.
Old March 2, 2008, 01:57 PM   #9
TexasSeaRay

I'm in the north Texas/Fort Worth area. Semi-regularly, I load up the Cessna and fly out to Eldorado (not far from San Angelo) to see an old college pal.

Shoot me a PM and if you want, we can exchange phone numbers and I'll be more than happy to help answer any questions you got going. And, next time I'm heading out your way, I'll give you some advance notice and look you up.

In fact, if you want, next time I'm headed out your way, I'll see if there are any supplies you want/need that I can either order at a good deal or pick up locally--and save you the hazmat/shipping colonostomy fees.

Us vets gotta stick together. Don't know about you, but I was an enlisted guy and a surplus of money was never something Uncle Sam ever promised or delivered.

Now, if you're an officer, you can forget it, sir (spelled c-u-r) You're already rich.

Absolutely kidding!

Let me know.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 7, 2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Jeffenwulf

Nah, I turned down an appointment to the academy because I was young ... and was never going to be in the Air Force if I couldn't fly. Well, that was about 13 years ago and I've been enlisted for 10. I'd be happy to meet up with you and pick your brain when you're available.

As for those supplies. I bought the RCBS uniflow and RCBS rangemaster 750 scale. Just need a case trimmer, micrometer, and a better way of loading primers and I should ready to get started. Thanks for the replies gents.

It looks like my choices for .380 ACP, 9MM (9x19), and .45 ACP are pretty broad. The most popular seem to be Unique, W231, and Bullseye. Let me know which one you swear by if you have a favorite. I'm old enough to take advice and new enough that I haven't really formed any opinions about powder yet.