The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 6, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Dirty_Harry

A hallelujah and a question

Indiana has finally wised up and has let us use pistol caliber rifles...which I prefer to a shotgun. That is the hallelujah.

Now for the question. .357 mag, .41, or .44 mag. I made my mind up on the gun, a marlin 1894, but need to know the scoop. I know that I probably wont get the .41, ammo expensive and rare. .357 is the cheapest, and .44 is more powerful, any real experiences on either of these? I am leaning towards the .357, because I might use it for coyotes also and don't want to blow a huge hole in the pelt, and I hav e heard that the .357 is more than adequate for deer.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 7, 2007, 09:12 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

If I may...

The .44 is probably a better choice for a dedicated deer rifle. It is much more powerful than the .357 out of a rifle. It won't kill a deer any ' deader' than a .357 but it will hit significantly harder.

If you plan on shooting it alot - plinking and lots of target shooting, then you might want to consider the .357 as is will be easier on the wallet. A well constructed .357 bullet out of a rifle will work just fine on deer out to 100 - 150 yards or so if you do your part.

The .41 ( IMO ) is a compromise that isn't as good for deer as the .44 but costs as much to shoot - in my book there's no real advantage to the .41 mag.

just my opinion...
Old August 7, 2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Compared to any of the usual "deer cartridges", even the .44 Maggie is rather pipsqueaky.

IMO, while the .357 has been used to kill deer, I'd go with the .44.

Just generalizing: The use of the smaller cartridges--.223, .243, those sorts--should be limited to those who are more experienced in hunting and who are very skilled in precision shooting. "Closer and calmer" does make a difference.

Art
Old August 7, 2007, 09:40 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

Harry,

Since the .45/70 is available in a revolver...does it make it on the list of approved handgun cartridges?

A marlin guide gun in .45/70 would be nice.....

How about a rifle in .454 or .460, heck even a .500 S&W?
Old August 7, 2007, 11:35 AM   #5
john1911

I'm gonna pick .41 mag cause that's what I like.

If you already have a revolver in one of the named calibers, I would get a rifle in the same. If you don't, go with the .44mag.

IMO, .357 is not enough for deer, .41 or .44 is better. If you don't intend to reload, stay with the .44. Ammo can be hard to find for .41 and is more expensive than 44 when you do find it.

No matter what you choose, you still have a 100 yard or less gun.
Old August 7, 2007, 02:16 PM   #6
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
A marlin guide gun in .45/70 would be nice.....
Already have the .450 marlin

Quote:
How about a rifle in .454 or .460, heck even a .500 S&W?
What rifles can you get in those calibers? I have to say I am partial to the Marlins.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 7, 2007, 02:42 PM   #7
mikejonestkd

Tc Encore come in any of these, if you take a quick visit to their custom shop.

I believe the NEF handi rifle also come in a few of these.

The puma lever comes in .454.

You can always get a copilot from wildalaska......

Any chance of using the .450 marlin lever action for deer? they do chamber the .450 in pistols so it just might be legal. ( TC encores can be had in .450 marlin from the factory custom shop, among other places as well)
Enjoy!!!
Old August 7, 2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Dirty_Harry

No they put a length limit on the cartridge that you can use. Plus the .450 and .45-70 are technically rifle rounds.

Old August 7, 2007, 04:49 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Foh-tee Foh Mag!
Old August 7, 2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Schamankungulo

44 hands down .. Can always shewt specials if ya dont reload ..
Old August 7, 2007, 10:31 PM   #11
Old Poet

Quote:
The .44 is probably a better choice for a dedicated deer rifle. It is much more powerful than the .357 out of a rifle. It won't kill a deer any ' deader' than a .357 but it will hit significantly harder.
I'd have to agree with mikejonestkd on this.
I've hunted with both, have taken deer with both, but just feel a little more confident with a solid hit from the 44.

I currently use a Marlin '94 with a Williams receiver sight on it for hunting the "wilds" of the wine country. Don't need a scope where it is nice and brushy and seldom get a shot at more than 50 to 75 yards.
Old August 7, 2007, 10:56 PM   #12
jrothWA

Having used a M1 Carbine...

for Michigan Deer, the .44 would be preferred.

The M1 was a last minute addition when my 16 yr old daughter asked to go with me. She 5'7" and 100lbs, only thing she could use was the Carbine. I was backup with .308.