The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Guyon

Reticle Preferences on Hunting Rifles?

Am rescoping my Marlin 336. You purists can jump up and down and shake your fists and scream about iron sights and peep sights. I'm still scoping it.

Have decided on a Leupold VX-II in 1-4x20. The compact scope should keep point of balance pretty much the same and should enable me to get the scope down low. 4X should be plenty of magnification. I plan to use this rifle as a woods/brush gun where the longest shot is probably going to be 50 yards.

That Leupold comes in Duplex or Wide Duplex reticle. Leupold bills this last reticle as having a "larger center gate for lightning fast target acquisition, even on a moving target" and as "ideal for picking targets from heavy brush or timber".The two reticles are all that different, but given my intended use of the gun, I'm leaning toward the Wide Duplex.

Anyone use/like this particular reticle style?
Old January 3, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

For a gun/scope like that (short-range), I prefer something like bushnell's "circle-X" reticle, but among those offered by Leupold, the heavy duplex would be my choice.

http://www.leupold.com/products/reticles.htm
Old January 3, 2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Guyon

FirstFreedom, what would the advantage of the Heavy Duplex be? Seems like you're going for more reticle instead of less. In cover (scrub, brush, trees), how would the Heavy Duplex help out?

On the scope I've chosen, it only comes in Duplex, Wide Duplex, or CPC (the last one for $30 more). It is a VX-II, so I could conceivably get Leupold to change out the reticle. However, first I think I'd rather try one of the standard offerings.

Edited to add: Regarding your sig line, I didn't hear about that incident. However, when I took my CCW class, a married couple attended, and they both delivered pizza for a living, though I can't remember the chain. They both showed up in a subsequent Advanced Pistol class I took from the same instructor.
Old January 3, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Twycross

Between the two you specify, I'd say its a toss-up. They're not all that much different.
Old January 3, 2006, 08:14 PM   #5
hIPSHOT33

I think I would go with the heavy duplex . it will let you pick up the duplex fastr in low light and help hold you eye on the reticle insted of the hornes .
Old January 3, 2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Guyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyon
That Leupold comes in Duplex or Wide Duplex reticle.
If I get Heavy Duplex, it'd have to be a reticle change-out by Leupold.

I picked the standard Duplex. Hard to go wrong with a classic.

And after I made my decision, I found the scope $20 cheaper than the lowest price I'd previously found. Anybody ever order from D&R in Pennsylvania?

Next question: standard base/rings or Quick Release?
Old January 3, 2006, 10:03 PM   #7
jiminthecorner

scope on Marlin

I know,I know Scopes are what you want BUT....... I switched to an AIMPOINT and is FAST!EASY! and NO parallax! You put the dot on the target and thats where the bullet goes! I have shot deer I would have lost in a scope. Its just like "follow the bouncing ball" Just my humble opinion, Jim NOLI CONTRA VENTUM URINARA