The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 7, 1999, 09:11 AM   #1
Bennett Richards

Just wondering if there is any concensus as to whaich firearms lube is best? BreakFree CLP, TW-25B, Rem Oil, FP-10, KelLube M12, Snake Oil, G-Lube, ProLix?

I have liked the TW-25B and the BreakFree... Just wondering what others have found to work....

Ben
Old October 7, 1999, 10:31 AM   #2
jimmy

FWIW, my personal favorite gun lubricants are Wilson's Ultima-Lube grease and oil, and good-old Hoppe's Gun Oil.
Old October 7, 1999, 10:58 AM   #3
JoeHatley

Bore cleaner: ProShot

Oil: Break Free CLP

Grease: Rig Grease

------------------
Go NRA
Old October 7, 1999, 01:41 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Bennett for an all rounder, Break-Free is the way to go. As you've probably noted, very few of us use "an all rounder". Dosen't mean anyone's right or wrong - we just all have preferences.

Good (old) friend who has more experiance than I likes Break-Free. As an example of the differences - he refuses to clean the bores of his guns unless they stop shooting right.

YMMV !

Giz

------------------
Vote Democratic! 1 Billion Chinese can't be wrong......

Old October 8, 1999, 03:06 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

All around cleaner, G96 Gun Cleaner (black, red and yellow can).

Oil, nearly any gun oil.

Avoid ammonia cleaners on nickel plated guns.

Jim
Old October 8, 1999, 09:43 PM   #6
RWK

I don't have the personal expertise to comment on this topic. HOWEVER, Mike Guarmieri -- the senior gunsmith at Sig-Sauer/SigArms -- recommended Break Free to me. That seems like "the voice of wisdom".
Old October 9, 1999, 01:15 AM   #7
StanA

Call me weird but not only do I like the BreakFree I think it has a good smell! No I don't try to breath it but you can't help to when you use them. I think some others just smell to loud when used in a small home.
Old October 9, 1999, 01:57 AM   #8
Dakotan

Try Eezox. I have a friend who was a Break-Free disciple until he reassembled his 1911 at my place, and lubed it with Eezox. He called me yesterday to ask what the stuff was and where to get it. I have used it for 10+ years. Its' lubricity, film longevity, and corrosion inhibitance is absolutely unparalleled by any other product I have ever tried. Try it, and you'll never use anything else. Take Care- Dakotan
Old October 9, 1999, 07:33 AM   #9
Rosco P. Coltrain

I use mineral spirits as a solvent. It is cheap and works well. For a lubricant I usually use break-free.
Old November 28, 1999, 10:21 AM   #10
BBINJ

That Eezox is really nice on blued steel! Break-Free is great on rusted bolts and nuts under your mower, its lousy on firearms - especially autoloaders. ESPECIALLY .22 autoloaders! When I was doing general 'smithing full time(walk-in repairs and such), I used to LOVE those Break-Free guys! Fast 'n easy money, just toss their gummed-up Break-Freed stuff into the ultrasonic for instant repair! I still haven't found anything that beats a detail strip, crud removal with a brush in the parts washer(running kerosene), blow off the bulk of the kero & reassemble. If you MUST use oil, Starrett tool & instrument oil very sparingly. If you don't have ultrasonic and you don't want to disassemble that trigger group or whatever, grab a bunch of CRC Brakleen when it goes on sale at the auto parts store. Same as B/C Gun Scrubber and lots cheaper. Hose out that assembly, then blow it out w/ compressed air. Now it's clean and bone dry. Hit 'er with some Starrett M1, and blow out the excess. You're good to go.
Old November 29, 1999, 06:54 AM   #11
plateshooter

I use Ed's Red for a solvent, then USP Bore paste and Kroil for the barrel. Break free to keep the rust away. I clean the bolts, carriers etc. with Simple Green, dry with a hair drier or compressed air, then Kroil to be sure everything won't rust.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter
Old November 29, 1999, 02:49 PM   #12
Desert Dog

I mixed up some Ed's Red a couple of weeks ago, and I am impressed! It seems to keep the mechanisms cleaner, even shooting lead. And the weapons seem to clean up easier also. I'm sold on it. Also, I use Birchwood/Casey Sheath on all my weapons.. Good stuff!!!

------------------
"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 2, 1999, 10:26 PM   #13
TGS

I do a little blueing and when yall are finsihed with "rust removers" Ill be happy to give you a nice new blueing job!
Ezzox is super, Outters Teflon really can be used with just slight amounts. I like that in that it lubes and protects and keeps things nice and tidy.
The Ezzox is great but I usually apply it let it "set-up" and buff it. Just like a wax.
Old December 3, 1999, 01:45 AM   #14
Ivanhoe

about Eezox,

a) where are you folks buying it? it seems to be rare in the usual mail-order catalogs.

b) are you having good success with it on autopistols? rifles?

concerning Prolix; I have used the original (carcinogenic) formula on a Glock with good success. it didn't smell, cleaned OK, was an OK dry lube (though maybe a bit thin). I have not yet tried their New! Improved! Non-carcinogenic! formula yet. If it were easier to find I'd probably already have tried a bottle.

Old December 3, 1999, 10:13 AM   #15
DMSC

I tried Eezox and then went back to Break Free. Not knocking the Eezox, but I haven't had any problems using CLP.

It would be nice if they could improve the smell of Eezox though!

Old December 8, 1999, 07:50 PM   #16
fastball

Every weapon that I cleaned while in the Marine Corps (M-16, M-243, M-60, Mk-19, .50 cal, etc) was done so with CLP. This is the same as breakfree, just in government bottles. Seemed to work just fine. Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant.