The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 1, 2000, 09:32 PM   #1
Judge Blackhawk

How does the rossi 92 compare to the other lever actions of same style?
Old February 1, 2000, 11:19 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

I've owned a 92 Rossi in 45LC. The mrs. had a 92 Rossi in 38/357. Both guns were reliable and accurate. Problem is the action is stiff and needs to be manhandled. We kept thinking we could shoot the action in. But it never happened. Rather than have an action job done, we switched to Marlins. The 92 Rossi is a priced right if you don't mind the stiff action.
Old February 1, 2000, 11:22 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

PS. The mrs. may go back to the 92 Rossi. She liked the light weight of the carbine. I'm staying with the Marlin.
Old February 2, 2000, 12:30 AM   #4
Joe West

Tuned up and with the buckhorn rear sight sold by Brownells, the Rossi can be a real bargain.
Joe West
Old February 2, 2000, 11:57 AM   #5
D Roberson

I've had three of the Rossis, and still have two -- a .357 and a .45. Both are fgood durable guns, and i'd only advise that you look one over carefully before you buy. Rossi's QC isn't the best, and some lemmons do get to the market.

There a gunsmith who advertises in the SASS newsletter that he does Rossi 92 action work. I don't remember the name, but he might be worth contacting.

My main gripe against both the Marlins and the Winchesters is those darn safeties. Rossi still makes theirs like the original 92s.
Old February 2, 2000, 12:51 PM   #6
Joe West

The 1892 action is about the fastest pistol caliber lever design ever made. Old Cowboy Chronicle articles gave a scientific description of lever arc and angles years ago trying to show which gun is fastest. Even a slow and decrepit shooter like myself can look fast shooting an 1892. And looking good IS what's important after all! I'm winding up the work on my back up '92, an old Rossi in 44-40. My main gun [The Mutant]is a '92 Winchester made up of parts from different eras and even different models. A 1892 first year reciever with a model '94 barrel that has the original '92 sights fitted, and furniture that looks like it came from a repro yellowboy. I got a good deal on it because the smith who built it could not make it work. Shoots ok now.
I'm not as cheap as some of the advertised Rossi action jobs. I do work for Fergie's Custom Guns in my spare time. I do a full action job on a Rossi including a match trigger pull, adding a semi- or full buckhorn rear sight and chamber flex-honing[some Rossis have rough finished chambers] for $150 plus return shipping. That includes the sight. That sounds high until you figure that hand fitting and stoning all internal parts takes me 8 to 10 hours. If you can pick up a Rossi for $280 or less you can end up with a top match gun for less than the cost of a Marlin cowboy. Most Marlin Cowboys benifit from action work as well.
Joe West
Old February 2, 2000, 04:08 PM   #7
Jack Straw

How does one go about adjusting the windage on the Rossi 92? I bought one last summer, but have only taken it out shooting one time. I just thought I would go ahead and ask in case I run into this problem. I plan on taking it out this weekend for more extensive load testing.

Jack
Old February 2, 2000, 06:43 PM   #8
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Jack,

Take a brass punch and hammer and carefully drift the rear sight in its dovetail. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move. Go slowly-a little goes a long way.

Bellicose Bill
Old February 6, 2000, 10:21 AM   #9
Bert

I worked mine-two,45colt&44wcf-still alittle stiff.So I tried some spray on graphite on my 44wcf.Smooth as silk now and no oil to trap grit.
Bert
Old February 7, 2000, 09:30 AM   #10
Jack Straw

Bill,

Duhhh...I had a major brain fart on this one. I was looking at the sights, but for some reason didn't see that dovetail. Thanks for getting my head screwed back on!

Jack

BTW, my dad and I had a ball shooting that thing this weekend!