The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2002, 11:55 AM   #1
DMK

Slugs for target practice?

Would shooting slugs(using low recoil Tac. ammo to save my shoulder) at paper targets be benificial for practice with an HD shotgun?

I'd do other practice for sure, but sometimes when the range gets busy, paper targets at 25 yards is the only practical alternative to going home and trying another day.

I appologize if this has been brought up before. When searching, I saw some offhand references to a thread that may have covered this, but never found it.
Old August 8, 2002, 12:07 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The answer's a definite maybe...

Straight paper punching isn't the best practice, tho it can be the only practice available for some folks.

Slugs also tend to impact elsewhere from shot loads.

Be that as it may, shooting your shotgun beats not shooting your shotgun whne it comes to improvement.

One thing, slugs can rip you a new one unless form and fit are good. I wouldn't want to run a 100 slug range session, even with all the tricks I know to drop the kick. Keep it fairly short, stop if you''re getting sore or showing signs of a flinch building.

HTH....
Old August 8, 2002, 12:10 PM   #3
Ledbetter

I agree that the only practice available is better than no practice at all.

If you don't have a PAST or similar pad (worn on the shoulder) you should try one for range practice with slugs (buckshot too).

Regards
Old August 8, 2002, 01:30 PM   #4
DMK

So reading between the lines, it's good for practicing stance, mount, form and getting to know how to funtion your shotgun, but perhaps little else?
Old August 8, 2002, 01:36 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Well, DMK, wouldn't argue the points made already, but it most certainly will show you where your slug's POA/POI is & you'll get practice shooting slugs.

Slugs can be a pretty darned precision shooter within reason & shootin''em's the only way you'll find out that capability.
Old August 8, 2002, 02:04 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Is there a reason why you couldn't use birdshot? Indoor range?
If possible, I like reactive targets better - cans, clay pidgeons (propped up), that sort of thing.

If your SG hasn't been patterned/zero'd with slugs, it would be a good idea to do so..
Old August 8, 2002, 03:36 PM   #7
DMK

Gizmo,

Absolutely, those are all preferred by me as well. Unfortunately, only paper targets at fixed 25, 50 and 100 yards are allowed in the local range.

I've been working within those limitations using sillouettes and paper bags at various ranges between 5 and 20 yards and it works great when I have the range by myself or just one or two others. I always clean up my mess along with the mess others have left before me, but if the range gets busy, well let's just say it's impractical (frowned upon) to use "alternative" targets.

My Mossy doesn't pattern birdshot very well past 15 yards and buckshot stays on a 20x20 sillouette at 25, but that's it.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:53 PM   #8
Bruce626

My only readily available ranges (see my other thread) are pistol ranges that only allow slugs, no shotshells. The advice I've gotten is that frequently shooting slugs at pistol ranges is better than not shooting.

My Mossy 500 12 ga shoots 00 Buck and Slugs at almost identical center of POI at 7 yds and maybe out to 40 yds for the brands I use. (Estate SWAT 00 Buck and Remington Reduced Recoil Slugs) (center of Buck spread is about same as slug hole). YMMV. So, if it is important to you, find a combo of stuff that patterns about the same so that you can make use of the slugs-only time.

Given that, I'm positive that my pistol range slug shooting is contributing to my sighting as well as all of the other stuff.

My guess is that at 50 yd and certainly 100 yd you'd do a slug select anyway, so might as well practice that.
Old August 9, 2002, 01:34 AM   #9
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Been thinking about this post off & on since I last replied. I need to be a bit more emphatic.

I would absolutely shoot slugs for practice & the more the better. & the more variety regards distance, conditions, ranges, etc.

That SG o' yers can be employed very nicely as a "short-range" rifle with impressive capabilities. That it'll do shot is a big plus - or visa versa.

I would suggest though that you'd buy a few 5-packs of slugs, stick the SG on sand bags & see what shoots best - accuracy-wise & then stock up. You don't need the high-dollar/hi-po slugs as anything you can hit with will do the job. Try the less expensive first & work up till you find what shoots good & then buy a bunch - stock up best you can.

Too, it may be that you'll need to go through some tweaking to get more used to a bit stouter load - fit, etc. or maybe just more shooting to get more familiar if a new-comer to shotguns. There's no "shame" in getting yer butt kicked by stout loads in a SG (we all have), but you don't really have to put up with it - there's answers here.

The advise about not killing yourself at the range is good. Maybe only 10 or so a session & maybe those low-recoils you have work just fine - all the better.

Paper targets can be just fine if you work them into somewhat of a drill. Quick target acquistion, double tap, reload do overs, etc. Work up to it, & maybe using bird shot till you're getting on the target more regularly, then towards the slugs.

Better than low-recoil slugs though, are ones that hit where you're aiming & every shotgun is different. Do use those that hit where you aim.

I ran across some 12 gauge PMC Brennekes for $1.99/5 pack locally - 1 0z at 1600 fps & shoot like a dream in all my 12s - I bought a bunch & they're not too bad re recoil. Look 'em up & try a few.

Alas, none to be had in 20 ga & the "real" Brennekes are $2.89/5 pack here ... wah!

Wanna wring out all the bennies of having a shotgun - ya gotta shoot slugs.
Old August 9, 2002, 07:33 AM   #10
DMK

Thanks guys!

Labgrade thanks for the thoughtful response. I never really thought of a shotgun as a big bore, short range rifle before. That's an interesting tack.

Practice at 50 yards with slugs sounds interesting. Up to now I've used my SKS for that distance and beyond, but those Fed. Tac slugs are right in the 10 ring at 25 so I don't see why I couldn't do the same at 50 with practice.
Old August 9, 2002, 05:42 PM   #11
Drjones

Just went to the range yesterday with my new Mossi 88. All they allow if you want to use the rifle range is slugs.

Holy [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], guys, PLEASE tell me that 00 buck doesn't kick as badly as those Winchester hollowpoints!!! I could only handle 10 of 'em before I and my (now bruised) shoulder said "SCREW THIS" and went to shoot my Beretta 96.

Drjones
Old August 9, 2002, 08:38 PM   #12
KSFreeman

Dr., have someone look at you mounting the weapon. Or post a pic.

Are you shooting off a bench? If so, I know why you're sore.
Old August 9, 2002, 09:03 PM   #13
Drjones

Yes to the bench. Why?