The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2002, 02:51 PM   #1
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Stressfire 2

Hi all...

Just got done reading Stressfire 2: "Advanced Combat shotgun" (Mossad Ayoob) and while it was a quick interesting read, I'm not sure I picked up anything "new" that I didn't already know from TFL. (ie pistol grip vs. reg. stock, patterning & overpenetration, slide vs. auto, etc etc)

The noteable exception being the cross-over kneeling /crouching techniques described at the end, and the suggestion to crowd cover/use cover as a support (which seems to fly in the face of every thing I've ever read)

Noted also there were some tricked out "competition" guns listed as the bee's knees that I don't think are handy enough for runnin' through the bushes etc.

Anyone else read this? Anyone get any better feedback?
Old August 8, 2002, 07:47 PM   #2
Penman

It's been a while since I took LFI II, but IIRC, some of the supported positions we practiced dealt with using the shotgun with one hand. (Inspired by the FBI's Miami incident?) using the cover for support may also allow you to keep a lower profile and present a smaller target. YMMV, study and practice everything you can find, and use what works best for you.
Old August 9, 2002, 02:54 PM   #3
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Yes using a support made sense in the one-handed techniques, but Ayoob also suggests resting the mag extension on your hard cover (car hood etc) as a way to stabilize your shooting. In rifle shooting thats the equivalent of resting your barrel on a rock to shoot it, this totally screws up your accuracy. Maybe at "shotgun range" he doesn't see this as a problem, but I know I can shoot bullseyes at 100 yards with my slug gun (off the bench).

Later in the book he shows the proper "slice the pie" technique as well.

Anyway over all it was a good read and a quick one.

Any other thoughts ?
Old August 9, 2002, 04:25 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

He missed on article..

Several years back he had a good article on why # 1 buck beats # 00 . I was disappointed to find that article was not in the book.

IIRC, the basis of the argument was that #1 stacks better due to it's .30 diameter. I.E., more pellets than 00 and a slightly reduced diameter adds up to more frontal area for B zone engagements.

I've used #1 and 00 on deer and don't see muchh difference. Both work, while I will say that #1 seems to pattern better in mod/full chokes.