The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 29, 2016, 04:54 PM   #76
Gunplummer

I am one of those folks. The only deer I hit with a rifle and lost looked like a hard hit. I actually had the time to shoot again and did not. It REALLY threw blood and crossed a creek. I can only think to this day that it doubled back when i was looking for a log to cross, fell into the creek, and was pulled under a log jam. I looked for hour and hours and just could not figure out what happened. After that, if it does not go down and I get a chance at a second shot, I take it.
Old August 30, 2016, 12:20 PM   #77
shafter

Quote:
I hunted black bear in Alaska a couple of times as it doesn't require a guide like grizzly and brown bear do.
I believe they have changed the rules. A guide is required now.
Old August 30, 2016, 01:10 PM   #78
reynolds357

Until recently, I have never had any need to hunt anything other than birds with a semi auto. When the hogs invaded my territory, that all changed. Mowing down 7 or 8 at a time is much easier with an AR than with a bolt action.
Old August 30, 2016, 01:47 PM   #79
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Or if unmolested, the animal that you thought was fatally wounded (how fatally?) may be 20 minutes farther away.
There are a lot of different styles of hunting through the nation and this board really covers the entire world, so what I say may not be relevant for all. I'm also talking white tail.

I limit my range to something reasonable for the firearm in use. 200 yards being the longest max range for me. The longest shot I have actually taken was about 125 yards and that was almost ten years ago.
I've shot the firearm enough to be comfortable with it before heading into the woods. Dozens this season and likely hundreds overall.
I've put myself in a position that is physically comfortable in my stand or blind. Improvised rest if possible.
If any of this doesn't come together on the day of, I am going to limit my range further. For instance if using a back-up gun.
Puts me in position to take a shot at a 3MOA worst case and usually more like 12-16 MOA target. In a comfortable position, with a familiar gun, I am going to have a pretty good idea if it was a good shot or not when I pull the trigger. I'm using a cartridge in which I am confident of the terminal ballistics at a given range. Not saying 100% of my shots are perfect, but if I pulled it I should have a good idea before I can regain sight picture.

It could deflect off a limb I didn't see(I clear shooting lanes and stick to them). It could be a incorrectly loaded round. It could take a weird path once it hits the animal. My sights could be off(did happen about 5 years ago with a scope that must have been bumped somewhere in transport) Etc., Etc. but I believe that is all less likely than me thinking I had a good shot and it turns out I pulled it. I keep learning lessons though. For instance, I now have a much better case to transport my rifle to and from the field when using a scope and tossed the cheap rings that came with the rifle. If my scope is off it will be off for the follow-up also.

My lost deer crossed a river onto private property. Sucked. I looked into dark and came back the next day. I did find out the land owner found and shot it an hour or so after I took my shot.

I'm not saying semi-autos shouldn't be allowed. I'll never slug hunt with anything else again(hopefully never slug hunt again). The reduced recoil is reason enough for me.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; August 30, 2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old August 30, 2016, 04:00 PM   #80
gunrunner1

I make no personal judgements about what type of firearm or cartridge a person chooses to hunt with. Whatever firearm/cartridge combination he chooses is his business and none of mine. While I mainly hunt with semi-autos (M1A, 742, AR15), I have also used bolt and lever actions, and all worked equally well as far as killing the animal I shot. The farthest killing shot I took with a bolt was just over 300 yards, the farthest with a semi-auto was 250 yards, and the farthest with a lever action was 220 yards.
Old August 30, 2016, 04:25 PM   #81
michaeldarnold

First doe I harvested was with a Remington 742 in .308. I only needed one shot, but was glad that the follow up for was ready without the need to cycle something. I would have missed for sure on the follow up because of the adrenaline rush of the hunt.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk