The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 11, 2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Targa

Garand question/opinion?

I also have a Garand question but did not want to highjack the other thread that was going. I would just like opinions on rather or not you all think the premium for a special grade over a service grade is worth it. I like the idea of completely refurbished nostalgia but a service grade is appealing as well. Anyway, I have been interested in one for a number of years now and I worry that the supply is going to be exhausted and I am going to miss the boat.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:57 PM   #2
the rifleer

Depends on what you want. If you want a rifle that looks brand new, get a special grade. If you want a rifle that is is good shape but has some wear, get the service grade.

I placed an order for a service grade. My logic was I'm going to shoot it and have fun with it, so if I got a special grade it would just get nicks in the stock and the bluing rubbed away from me shooting it, so there is no reason for me to get a special grade.
Old May 12, 2016, 05:00 AM   #3
Orlando

special grade has a new commercial barrel, commercial wood,service grade is all USGI with exception sometimes the wood is commercial
Persoanlly the Special Grades dont do anything for me, I would go with Service Grade
Old May 12, 2016, 06:03 AM   #4
Targa

Probably the biggest reason I am considering the special grade is because I will be shooting it. Thank you for the replies, a premium that is pushing $300 is a little hard for me to justify, service grade it is then.
Old May 12, 2016, 06:48 AM   #5
grumpa72

I prefer original USGI over the Special and that is what I bought. I shoot my Service Grade a lot and like the fact that it has its (mostly) original parts. There are a lot of folks at the CMP that shoot their Service, Field, and even Rack grade with regularity.
Old May 12, 2016, 07:50 AM   #6
springer99

I have a 6-digit SG M1 that's quite dinged up and rebuilt many times; last time by the Danes, and a new CMP Special Grade. The old SG M1 fires fine and accuracy is about 2 1/2-4" at 100yds. Looks like it went thru a war or two because it did.

The CMP Special Grade actually came to me with 95+% original 1956 Springfield metal and a new Boyd's stock. Honestly it looks like it just shipped from the Armory. It shoots wonderfully and accuracy is about 1 1/5-2" at 100yds. This is the weapon I use in CMP matches and my pre-Pearl Harbor M1 stays on my wall.

Both mean a lot to me.
Old May 12, 2016, 01:00 PM   #7
Targa

Ideally Springer one of each is what I would like but that won't be the case. To many other firearms on my list to purchase so one of anything is all I will have, I am just trying to make that one count . Thank you all for your input.
Old May 12, 2016, 01:18 PM   #8
P5 Guy

Special Grades can be had chambered in .308WIN or 7.62x51.
Using commercial ammunition instead of M2Ball without having to make the gas system adjustable for the different pressure curves found in commercial .30'06 can be seen as the advantage to buying the Special Grade in 308WIN over the Service Grade only chambered in .30'06.
Old May 12, 2016, 05:24 PM   #9
Ernest T

Quote:
Special Grades can be had chambered in .308WIN or 7.62x51.
Using commercial ammunition instead of M2Ball without having to make the gas system adjustable for the different pressure curves found in commercial .30'06 can be seen as the advantage to buying the Special Grade in 308WIN over the Service Grade only chambered in .30'06.
I think the primary advantage of the CMP specials is that you can get one in 308. I highly recommend that if you go this route to consider getting one chambered for 308. As mentioned above you avoid any problems shooting commercial ammo, plus many shooters claim a slight advantage in accuracy.

On the other-hand, I just picked up a SG in 30.06, and it had a near new barrel, and new CMP wood. Metal was near perfect, and the barrel measured TE-1 and ME-1. Side by side with my CMP Special in 308 and you could not see a difference. I haven't shot it yet, but it should be a great shooter.

Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either.
Old May 14, 2016, 08:04 AM   #10
Ernest T

Looks like the CMP is all sold out of FG and SG Garands, and Special grade Garands in 30.06 as of May 13. Right now your only option is the Special grade in .308. I wouldn't wait long to order, because I'm sure the last of the specials will be gone soon.

Will more rifles be forth coming in the future???...............I wouldn't bet on it!
Old May 14, 2016, 09:15 AM   #11
Targa

Well son of a %^*# Ernest T, your right. They had them available two days ago, well I say congrats to you that have one. I agree Ernest I wouldn't bet on it either.