The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2013, 02:27 PM   #1
kh1911

Remington Model-11

I was lookin at a remington model 11 semi auto in the local gunshop and i really wanna get it. Its only about $280, i was just lookin for someone whose has or has had one of these to tell me if its worth that price and if its overall a good reliable gun. im not exactly sure what date this particular one was made but i know they stopped makin them all together in 1948.
Old July 3, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
amd6547

A Model 11 in good shape is a fine shotgun. They shoot rapidly (like, all five empties in the air rapidly), and are pretty much failure free.
Releasing the bolt...if you want to know what it sounds like, go to your bank and ask them to slam the vault shut.
Old July 3, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3
joe45c

seems like a good price depending on the condition, which is important. I don't own a model 11, but I do own a browning A-5, pretty much the samething. I like mine use it for small game hunting and shooting clays. Very reliable and fun to shoot. I'm no expert, but if it is in decent to good shape, buy it. The action has a unique feel to it.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4
TheNatureBoy

I've had one for about 3 years and its a shooter. Its in very good condition. The only thing I had to repair was a very small crack in the forearm. A little dab of gorilla glue took care of that. Mine has the military badges to include a Cutts compensator. Shoots a tight pattern. Just make sure your rings are properly set. You can Google it. Give it a good going over and if its in good shape go for it.
Old July 4, 2013, 01:13 AM   #5
chesterfield

I have three of these in 12, 16, 20. They are some of my favorites to shoot. They will shoot under just about any circumstances. I bought the 12 from a pawn shop years ago and it shot and ejected the shells perfectly. I put about 100 shells through it shooting skeet and then took it apart to clean it. Imagine my surprise when I got it stripped down to find mud and grass inside the receiver and the trigger assembly! Whoever owned it previously had abused it quite a bit, but it still functioned flawlessly. My advice would be to get the gun, you can't go wrong with those old Remingtons.
Old July 4, 2013, 07:31 PM   #6
kh1911

hey thanks for all the feedback im goin tomorrow to pick her up, ill letcha know how it goes. I cant wait to get it into my collection
Old July 21, 2013, 06:24 PM   #7
warezaholic

fiber cushion

I found a model 11 recently made in 1935 and before I bought it, I researched the model 11 on the internet and the only caution I found was one to alert me to issues about the bolt, fiber recoil cushion! so as soon as I got it home I did a complete tear-down and low-and-behold; the fiber cushion was completely GONE! AND-there was a hole where the factory rivet used to be. So I bought a new fiber cushion and used the hole to put a steel pull-rivet with a small steel washer and will soon see if it holds up to being fired!

Over all the gun is in 98% since I re-finished the wood with about 10 coats of clear polly to preserve the well beaten "patina" of the old wood.

All-in-all I'm in love with it. I might part with it for a 12 guage over-under if it looks right... :-)
Old July 28, 2013, 04:45 AM   #8
mxsailor803

Buy it. You won't regret it. They are just as reliable as the Browning A5's.
Old July 28, 2013, 01:42 PM   #9
publius

At that price, I'd be all over it unless it had been rolling around in a saltwater duck boat.
Old July 28, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Arocholl

Remington Model-11

My grandpa gave me one in 20 ga. It's a great gun and will last several lifetimes if cared for.