The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 6, 2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Shotgal

Suppressor costs

I was looking at getting a .22LR 44/45 Ruger pistol and thought it might be nice to get a threaded one and maybe suppressor too. That was until I did the math!!!!

Suppressor - starting around $200
Pay BATFE - $200
Class III FFL transfer for the silencer only? $??
Then of course if my husband wants to shoot with it too then we need to set up a trust to register the suppressor under.

The pistol itself was only going to cost about $360. And that's a lot higher in price than where I was originally looking for a first time/beginner pistol anyway. The whole thing really put me off a bit.

So if a suppressor is out, maybe I should re-evaluate the pistol - and I was soooo close to "pulling the trigger" ha ha.
Old May 7, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Logs

I would try to shoot a can first before you buy. I bought the YHM Mite can and was not real impressed with it. I have shot a sparrow can and it seemed to be much quieter than mine, but was a lot more money. If I had to do over again I would have went the 5.56 route so that I could use it on my AR and 22's.

As for the trust I have had some of the online trust building tools, but still a lot of paper work, $$$$$, and then the WAIT...

You can also try CB .22LR subsonics 750 fps they are quiet and no can required...
Old May 7, 2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Crow Hunter

Keep your eyes open for sales.

Sometimes Gemtech and/or AAC will run a sale in which they will cover the tax stamp on some of their higher end models.

My local suppressor dealer will fill out all the paperwork for you, all you have to do is get the local sheriff to sign off on it.

My dealer doesn't charge anything other than purchase price to transfer the suppressor.

Suppressors are the only Class III item that are worth the price in my opinion.

Especially .22 suppressor on pistols. It sounds like a pellet rifle going off.

I hope one day they will be legal for purchase without a tax stamp. It makes shooting much more pleasant for both the shooters and those nearby.

Good luck.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Japle

There’s no good, logical reason to own a suppressor. If you really want one and you can afford it, buy the thing!

Be advised, there will be plenty of time for “buyer’s remorse” to kick in. My dealer sent in the paperwork last November and I’m still waiting.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
LarryFlew

Could be worse - you could be in a state where you can't have one, then they are priceless!!!
Old May 7, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6
Dave P

"There’s no good, logical reason to own a suppressor." Ah, come on now Japle...

My first one is also on its way - about August, I figger. For an AR in 22 cal - just illogical fun!

And AFAIK, anybody can shoot it (like your husband) without any trust or other fo-faw. You just have to stay with it.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:52 PM   #7
loose_holster_dan

my buddy's little bro just set up a trust to do exactly this. he bought one of the new 22/45 lite models and is suppressing it.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 7, 2012, 02:42 PM   #8
dajowi

Only one person can be listed as the transferee if you use a ATF 5320.4 form. As such no one other than the transferee can technically have access to the item either, this includes inside your residence. If the suppressor is in your name, your husband can use it, but you must be present. Also, you'll need a copy of the approved form whenever you take the item out of your residence. If your husband was to be in possession of the suppressor, without you or the paperwork - YIKES. You're in big trouble.

Now let's say you buy the suppressor and use it a lot. After extensive use they'll need repair work done. So ATF strongly recommends that a Form 5320.5 application be submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. Another Form 5 should be submitted by the shop doing the repair to return the item to the customer. Also, depending on the repair, the suppressor may have to be re-registered and another $200 transfer tax paid. You should also be aware that some shops licensed to work on ATF items may not be honest and try to ding you for additional fees and such.

And just when you think it can't be anymore complicated. You need to fill out a ATF Form 5320.20 for permission to move the item to another address even if you move from one apartment number to another at the same location. They want to know EXACTLY where it is. If I recall the 5320.20 doesn't even mention suppressors, however the person I dealt with at the ATF said the form has to be submitted and approved.

And if you think that's difficult...you may live in a state that allows civilian possession of a suppressor, but the CLEO, (chief law enforcement officer) doesn't think it's a good idea, and may not sign off on the forms. ATF and DOJ are preparing to drop this requirement for Form 1 and 4 transfers. But I have no idea if they've done so at this time.

The process is made to be as costly and time consuming as possible. After dealing with a number of establishments who deal in NFA weapons I've come to the conclusion (sorry about using a broad brush here folks) that many of these places don't know the laws, convey false and imprecise information, and will wheedle as much cash as they can from you knowing that you're as
confused about the subject as can possibly be.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Rinspeed

I live in NY so I doubt I'll ever have the chance to own one but does anyone have a link to a site that lists which states allow them.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
vyse.04

http://www.aaccanu.com/

There are plenty of others online too, but the states are listed at the bottom of the page.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:12 AM   #11
RAnb

Quote:
Only one person can be listed as the transferee if you use a ATF 5320.4 form. As such no one other than the transferee can technically have access to the item either, this includes inside your residence.
Not true. A corporation or trust can be listed as the owner. This allows several trustees or corporate officers to possess and use the silencers.
Quote:
Now let's say you buy the suppressor and use it a lot. After extensive use they'll need repair work done.
Not true. A well made silencer needs little or no maintenance unless it is used with rim fire or cast ammo. In this case a silencer that has removable end caps is able to be cleaned by the owner.
Quote:
Also, depending on the repair, the suppressor may have to be re-registered and another $200 transfer tax paid.
This is only true is the repair makes the silencer longer, changes the bore or requires replacement of the tube.

Quote:
And just when you think it can't be anymore complicated. You need to fill out a ATF Form 5320.20 for permission to move the item to another address even if you move from one apartment number to another at the same location.
This is only needed for permanent change of addresses.

Quote:
After dealing with a number of establishments who deal in NFA weapons I've come to the conclusion (sorry about using a broad brush here folks) that many of these places don't know the laws, convey false and imprecise information, and will wheedle as much cash as they can from you knowing that you're as confused about the subject as can possibly be.
I avoid this by making my own, a very easy process.

Ranb
Old May 9, 2012, 12:14 AM   #12
RAnb

Quote:
There’s no good, logical reason to own a suppressor.
Just like there's no good, logical reason to use a muffler on your car.

Is it really too much to ask that gun owners promote firearm ownership on a gun forum?

Ranb
Old May 9, 2012, 12:30 AM   #13
Indi

Get a user serviceable suppressor if your getting a .22lr can. I just got approved for my sparrow, I can't wait to go pick it up. Be aware once u by one, you are hooked!!!!! Its a desease, you can not cure this desease, u can only supress it!
Old May 9, 2012, 12:30 AM   #14
scottd913

here here RANB bravo i agree 100%
Old May 9, 2012, 02:11 AM   #15
Sport45

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just like there's no good, logical reason to use a muffler on your car.

Is it really too much to ask that gun owners promote firearm ownership on a gun forum?

Ranb
Read the whole post. It seems to me that Japle does promote firearm ownership and is in fact waiting on his own suppressor.

Am I the only one that saw the irony in the post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle
There’s no good, logical reason to own a suppressor. If you really want one and you can afford it, buy the thing!

Be advised, there will be plenty of time for “buyer’s remorse” to kick in. My dealer sent in the paperwork last November and I’m still waiting.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:10 AM   #16
RAnb

I am irony impaired on most forums. This is due to the fact that I used to be called a criminal on a regular basis for merely discussing silencers on gun forums. It did not matter that I referred to registered silencers and that the feds do not register contraband.

If Japle is promoting their use, then I apologize. But I have to say that silencers are a very practical item to own.

Ranb
Old May 9, 2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Japle

Quote:
If Japle is promoting their use, then I apologize. But I have to say that silencers are a very practical item to own.
For some folks, they may be practical. Not for me. I’m buying one just because I want one.

It’s the same reason I have a $3,000 SteelMaster. I could shoot steel with much less expensive guns (and I do), but I wanted the STI, I could afford it and I bought it.

“Practical” and “need” are irrelevant. Your budget and your desires are what count.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:38 PM   #18
eldorendo

A good logical reason for me to have a suppressor would be to install one one my nightstand G17. It'd keep me from damaging my hearing, should I have to fire it inside.

FWIW, if you can find a local p.d., sheriff's dept, etc., that has a suppressor that they'll sell to you, you can buy it, via form 5, with no transfer tax. Same applies to pre-86 f.a. weapons.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:32 PM   #19
chris in va

We have guys at the range that use supressors. To me, unless you also use them on your own land, they're pretty much pointless as everyone else around you is firing as well.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:44 PM   #20
RAnb

I disagree. For example I have an AR-10 with a 16 inch barrel that is insanely loud. Unsuppressed it is not comfortable to shoot for me or those near me. Attaching the silencer changes everything.

Ranb
Old May 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #21
RickE

Spend a few bucks on good ear protection. And, it is a .22, much easier on the ears than almost any other round. If you are attempting to shoot on private land with bothering the neighbors, That may have some merit, otherwise don't post a sticky note with your info on the BATF bulletin board.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:47 AM   #22
RAnb

Quote:
otherwise don't post a sticky note with your info on the BATF bulletin board.
I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble with the ATF for legally owning or using a suppressed firearm.

Ranb
Old May 12, 2012, 12:58 PM   #23
brmfan

Quote:
+1 RAnb! In semi-enclosed areas my 16" POF 7.62 gives me a splitting headache after a few mags. It's an awesone rifle but highly unpleasant to shoot anywhere not out in the open. That's why it'll wear a can as soon as my stamp arrives.

Last edited by brmfan; May 12, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:53 AM   #24
Willie Lowman

In my case

Suppressor - SWR Spectre around $500
Pay BATFE - $200
Class III FFL transfer for the silencer - $25
Then of course a trust to register the suppressor under - Already had one.

The pistol itself was only going to cost about $325. - $200 for a MKII 22/45, have the front sight set back and barrel threaded and a barrel nut made, $125.

So I'm looking at close to $1200 after I buy a few extra mags and a few bricks of .22lr.

Now for $100 I get a threaded barrel for my 10/22. The can runs double duty on the two Rugers. I rarely shoot them without it.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:45 AM   #25
blume357

I'm up to around $850 invested in my little 22lr suppressor , which I still don't have possession of. This does not include any firearm but does include having two barrels threaded. $150 each.