The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 12, 2008, 04:27 PM   #1
mnlitig8r

TruGlo TFO Fiber Optic Fell Out!

I recently had some TruGlo TFO sights installed on my XD-9 Tactical. Last weekend I noticed that the fiber optic in the front sight had fallen out. I found the piece of plastic and put in back in place, figuring problem solved. Not so much.

This weekend I was at an IPSC match and halfway through a stage I noticed that my three-dot sights were down a dot. The front optic fell out again and this time could not be located. I hoped I could improvise by borrowing some fiber optic material from another shooter but with the closed end of the sight there was no way to hold the material in place. Needless to say, it didn't help me performance any (though it did give me a convenient excuse for my poor shooting).

Has anyone had a similar problem with these sights? I had heard good things but as these sights were less than a month old, I'm not too impressed so far.

I have a fax into TruGlo and I'm hoping for a timely reply. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for any insight/help/info!
Old May 26, 2008, 05:55 PM   #2
mnlitig8r

I realize there's been no responses to my post, but in the event that someone else searches for threads on the topic I want my experience to be available to them since it might cause them to make a different purchase than did I.

Well, TruGlo didn't exactly rise to the occasion. They agreed to fix the defective sight, and thankfully they were open to me sending them the entire slide rather than having to get a gunsmith to remove the sight and then reinstall it when it was fixed. My satisfaction ended there.

TruGlo gave me a specific timeline for the repair, which was important to me for reasons I won't bore you with. I sent the slide via overnight mail so that I got it back when promised, but then on the day after I was supposed to receive the slide I was told that it was just being sent out via UPS ground. In other words, I'd get the slide back well over a week later than promised. Given that I use this pistol for USPSA matches, that was a big deal to me. When I suggested that they ought to send the repaired sight/slide back to me via overnight mail since it was already a week past the promised date, the response was to tell me that if I was willing to pay for it, they'd do it. They even suggested that I should be pleased I was not being charged for return shipping if I was willing to wait for UPS ground service. Even after going around and around with a so-called supervisor they still bullied me into paying for half the return shipping cost. I needed the gun to be operational, and I was sick of dealing with them. I figured it would be my very last dealing with them since I won't buy their products in the future. I'm not impressed with the sights, and I'm less impressed with their customer service.

I know lots of people like their TruGlo sights, but given how little regard the company had for me, I plan to repay the favor next time around.
Old May 26, 2008, 06:07 PM   #3
roadrash

Sounds to me like they should have just priority mailed you a new front sight,and let you worry about getting it installed!Could of had it in your hands in about three days, for about three bucks shipping!
Old May 26, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
mnlitig8r

Yep. That would have been a lot easier for them, and while it would have required a bit more effort on my part to get it installed, I would have happily done it in order to get things taken care of more quickly.
Old May 27, 2008, 02:42 AM   #5
Axion

This isn't the first I've heard of the optic falling out of tru glow sights. It's a shame because I really like the idea of a night sight + fiber optic sight.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:09 AM   #6
9mm1033

This is very interesting to me. My Sig is set up with the same sights and I'm going to use it for IDPA this month. So far at the range I've experienced no problems. But now I know, if and when the rod falls out during harder use in a match, I can forget a quick and reasonable fix from CS. That is ashame, because we all know they are not cheap sights. I hope your experience was isolated.