The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1
klcmschlesinger

World shooting complex

I went to the World Shooting Complex today to see some of the ATA competiton. Anyone else get to see this? This is the second year I have seen this in Sparta Illinois and it is awesome. Great shooter, great stores, sales and just an overall good time. Anyone else ever been to these events?

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old August 12, 2007, 12:01 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

Whatchutalkinboutwillis?
Old August 12, 2007, 12:41 AM   #3
Scoupe

He's talking about the new-ish Sparta Illinois American Trap Association complex.

Haven't been yet, but some of my skeet shooting buddies shot the Briley earlier this summer and all came back with glowing reports of the facility. It's barely 5 hours from me and I'm looking forward to competing there next year.

I have been to the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio for the Skeet Worlds and that's just more fun than a shooter should have. It's fun to compete surrounded by a thousand of your closest friends and watch the big dogs of your discipline just grind 'em up. And, like you say, vendor's row in itself is a treat.
Old August 14, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
mswestfall

I shot there last year in the ATA Doubles and Singles Championships. It was my first Grand American Trap Shoot; I never made it to Vandalia, OH.

I shot an 88 in Doubles. I road the tram back to my car and was hanging my head because of my score. A gentlemen asked me what I'd shot. I told him that "I only shot an 88". He said, "No, you shot an 88 in the World Championships". Nice guy, he really made me feel good.

They need hotels but the complex itself was very impressive.

Did they have grass this year?