The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1
clayking

Ok, here's my screw-up........advice?

Hopefully, someone else has tried this or has screwed up like me.

Loading 9mm, 125gr. LRN over 3.8 231. Fairly light target load shooting in CZ 75B. Well, dumbass me used small pistol magnum primers instead of small pistol standard Winchester primer's. Do I toss 'em or shoot 'em? Frigging 400 of them and not sure I can safely identify the entire batch from correct reloads to add to the mistake, although the loads on top of my ammo stack should be the hot ones.........................ck
Old July 20, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2
cdrt

I don't think you'll have a problem since Winchester uses their primer for both regular and magnum loads, so your data should be okay even though you used a magnum primer. Pressure should not change that much since it's a light load. I'd shoot them, but maybe somebody else has a different take on it.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old July 20, 2007, 07:35 PM   #3
clayking

My thought also, but then, I've been wrong before. Win primers are the same for large, but different ones for small, so I'm sure the small have a little bit more wallop than the standard primer............................ck
Old July 20, 2007, 07:37 PM   #4
arkie2

I've loaded .357 mag before where one book calls for SPM and another SP. If loading manuals disagree in some areas with respect to what primer you should be using you should be OK.
Old July 20, 2007, 08:26 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I would shoot a couple and see how they shoot as long as they are not near max.
Rusty
Old July 20, 2007, 09:13 PM   #6
clayking

Well, I do have a .357 Ruger Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder. It shouild be strong enough to handle this one if it doesn't blow the brass apart, which I certainly doubt.......................ck
Old July 20, 2007, 09:18 PM   #7
DGindlesperger

shoot them and have a blast
Old July 20, 2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Shoney

Since your load is near the minimum or start load, and since you were using Winchester primers, which are very close to if not an actual magnum primer, you should have no problems. You will probably be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two loads..
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 23, 2007, 11:52 AM   #9
scheirere

I concur with the previous post. I've switched over to small mag pistol primers for all applications as it's easier for me to only deal with one type of primers on hand. Anyhow, when I made the switch I chrono'ed my favorite loads and there was less than 10 fps change in the average velocity. Granted, most of my loads are fairly mild with the exception of my .40 major loads but it really didn't make a difference. I even mixed up some regular and magnum and couldn't tell a difference in terms of practical accuracy or anything else for that matter. Go ahead and shoot'em!
Old July 23, 2007, 03:43 PM   #10
ShootingNut

If your still uneasy

Check with a Tech for an opinion, either on your Powder website, or maybe Winchester would respond. Not saying the guys replies are not correct, just if you need to hear it from "the horses mouth".
Old July 23, 2007, 04:31 PM   #11
Jart

The Chuck Hawks primer page was about as ominous as I could turn up and it's not very ominous given loads near the low end of the bracket.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

I'd guess all would be fine.

I gather from the username that you've a significant background in shotshell reloading? I was doing shotshells long before metallics and one of the first things I noticed is that the metallic manuals just don't seem to obsess over primers the way the shotshell manuals get all breathless over substituting one manufacturer's 209 for somebody else's 209. With 209s, the warnings were dire even with relatively light loadings.

'Course that might just be my impression, but if you go to Hodgdon's web site you'll note that they don't list primer info directly in the tables like they do shotshells. Neither do they seem to care who made your hull .. unh .. I mean brass.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:15 PM   #12
clayking

I did email the Winchester site re this question after I posted here and got a reply today from Hodgdon. They said that the load would be fine to shoot.

Quote:
I gather from the username that you've a significant background in shotshell reloading? I was doing shotshells long before metallics and one of the first things I noticed is that the metallic manuals just don't seem to obsess over primers the way the shotshell manuals get all breathless over substituting one manufacturer's 209 for somebody else's 209. With 209s, the warnings were dire even with relatively light loadings.
Spot on regarding shotshell reloading, both in name and primer info.

Thanks for all the replies.............................ck