The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2000, 10:40 PM   #1
Peter M. Eick

I just opened up a new pound of Unique and have had the dickens of a time throwing 4.0 grn charges out of my RCBS Uniflow. This was not a problem on my last pound, so I do not think it is technique or poor equipment.

What I get are charges running like this:
4.0,4.0,4.1,4.0,3.4,3.9,3.7,4.0,4.0,4.0,4.0,3.4,3.7,3.4,4.0,4.0 etc.

Its like the powder is sticky???

This is new powder, March 99 manufacture (I believe) but it is the older labeling. It smells fine, pours fine, so I do not have a clue? I am kind of leaning toward just using it up and switching to Universal clays or something else.

Anyone else having recent Unique dispensing problem?
Old February 22, 2000, 10:55 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Peter,

I used an RCBS Uniflow for Unique and noticed that a full powder column within the reservoir helped with consistent charges due to the light weight of the powder. This seemed to keep just the right pressure on the powder so that it flowed better.

A baffle at the bottom of the reservoir column keeps the pressure directly off the exiting charge gate opening. I made one out of sheet aluminum and positionedit by hand. I also used the return action of the dump handle as a "knocker" which helped the powder stay settled for the next charge.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited February 22, 2000).]
Old February 22, 2000, 11:33 PM   #3
TEXAS LAWMAN

Peter, is it possible you are not being absolutely consistent with every throw of powder. I've never had any problem with UNIQUE in my RCBS measure. I am very careful to throw the handle down the same each time and I ramp the handle smartly on the upstroke. Never used baffles but may try one sometime. Good luck!
Old February 23, 2000, 08:26 PM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Thanks for the comments. I am using the RCBS powder baffle, but I usually run the powder only about 1" up from the base of the plastic. My attitude has always been never to have more powder then necessary on the bench at one time. I will certainly try more in the hopper next time.

On the consistency question, I am having to cut grains on the dispense stroke, so I am losing my rhythem on each stroke. I will document more carefully, maybe this is what is causing my problems.
Old February 23, 2000, 09:08 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Universal Clays meters much smoother and more consistently than Unique, burns cleaner, and has about the EXACT same properties as the old standby.

Might be a 'smidge' slower.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old February 24, 2000, 03:13 AM   #6
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greetings Poster's, Another remedy or helpful
hint; before charging the powder mearure
hopper, reach down inside and twist a fabric
softner sheet around a couple of times. That
seems to work just fine for me.

Regards,