The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2001, 05:18 PM   #1
Ravenwolf

Inexpensive O/U recommendation

Can anyone recommend an O/U that I can get that would be adequate for skeet, sporting clays, pheasant, and grouse. I would like to retire my old tired Mossberg 500 and get an O/U but the cost of the big name brands are keeping me from it. My only other alternative is to have screw in chokes installed in my Stevens 311A 16 ga but that in not cost effective either. Any help appreciated....RW
Old August 29, 2001, 06:04 PM   #2
7X30WATERS

There is alot of talk of the Russian O/U on the cruffer list. I don't have any experience with them, but those that do are impressed with the guns for the money. I think you can pick them up for under $500.00

Allen
Old August 29, 2001, 06:32 PM   #3
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
I don't have any first hand experience with "budget" O/Us but here's a link to a pertinent Gun Tests article. They liked the Russian Tula.

Also, a recent American Rifleman (we all get that, right?), August IIRC, reviewed 5 or 6 inexpensive O/Us. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old August 29, 2001, 06:36 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Part of the reason good O/Us and SXSs are expensive is the handwork needed to regulate the bbls so they shoot into the same place.

IMO, cheap doubles of either variety are not good choices. Either live with a repeater, or save up until you can afford a good,used double.
Old August 29, 2001, 07:05 PM   #5
Bam Bam

From what I have seen around the 'Net from very experienced scattergunners Dave's advice should be taken seriously. A poor tool at any price is no bargain.
Old August 29, 2001, 09:08 PM   #6
huntsman

inexpensive o/u

I too agree with dave, But I owned an American Arms silver 2 that wasn't to bad (16 gauge) nice light field gun .I'm not sure how it would do as a target gun but I would still have it execept for the cast off stock.
Old August 29, 2001, 09:25 PM   #7
K80Geoff

The only inexpensive O/U that I would recommend is the Baikal. And with the caveat that it is a very crudely made and finished gun.

It's locking mechanism is stiff, it swings like a log and has absolutely no refinements. But it is solid and built like a typical russian firearm.

If you want to get into competitive clays shooting and can't afford the good guns than go to a semi auto, don't waste your money on low end O/U's.

Better you should look for a previously owned Browning, there are plenty of them out there.

Geoff Ross
Old August 30, 2001, 05:28 AM   #8
Ravenwolf

Thanks everyone for your replies...I think I'll take Dave's advice and save up for a better quality O/U. Any recommendations on which make/model that will fit the bill.....RW
Old August 30, 2001, 05:47 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Big Two are Browning and Beretta, RW. Another good choice is SKB. Winchester 101s are great, but they've been discontinued for a while.

Much as I like Remington Pump guns, their O/U line is not up to snuff.