The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Thor2j

Problem with dillon 550b cartridge spring

Hi,
Just got my 550 today and having a few issues. First it says to adjust your resizing die by screwing it down until it touches shell plate. Fine. But that little cartridge spring there after rides on top of the shell plate thus being smashed between die and shell plate. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. What is the proper alignment of that cartridge spring and what does it do.
Thanks
Old May 22, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
dmazur

The cartridge spring holds the case in position at Station 1, not just to help with case entry into the die, but to maintain alignment after resizing so the case lines up with the primer punch.

The top of shellplate to shellplate platform distance should be around 0.125", and this should be sufficient room for the cartridge spring. If the die is hitting it, the spring is in the wrong position.

It should be radially aligned with the shellplate center bolt, and lay nearly flat on the shellplate platform. As you insert a case, the spring should ride above the rim, and then snap back to just hold the case. If it is too far toward the center, it will interfere with indexing.

Fig. 16 in the manual shows a picture of this, but there doesn't seem to be much text to explain how to adjust it -

You will notice an adjustable retaining spring at Station One. This spring should be adjusted to almost contact the case when it’s placed in the shellplate.

I would imagine that this spring would have to be adjusted to handle widely different case diameters, just like the locator buttons have to be changed to match. (Unless you load a lot of calibers with the same diameter, like .30-06 Sprg, .243 Win. and .45 ACP. Then you can use the same locator buttons, shellplate, and cartridge spring adjustment...)
Old May 22, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
1Hobie

"Fig. 16 in the manual shows a picture of this, but there doesn't seem to be much text to explain how to adjust it". +1

Regards,

Hobie

Never mind, too much vino.....

Last edited by 1Hobie; May 22, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4
jepp2

Quote:
But that little cartridge spring there after rides on top of the shell plate
It isn't intended to ride on top the shell plate. Bend it down a bit and it should ride in the extractor groove of your shell. The correct installation will allow you to remove a case after you have slide it into place. You have to rotate the case slightly to cause the spring to move to the side.

From your description, it sounds like yours it sticking too far in, and bent too high. In the proper location it really isn't pressing against the case at all, it is just holding the case from moving out any.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:15 AM   #5
kalevatom

This is how mine is set up.

Old May 23, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Vance

I was following this thread and was confused myself about the case retainer spring. Thanks for the pictures. They made it clear about what was being talked about.
Old May 23, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Thor2j

Thanks all, got it figured out.