The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
SPUSCG

Rust problem

My 870s barrels are getting a coating of rust (light but all over) and im wondering why. The insides are bright and shiny but the outsides are rusting. How do i remove rust and protect it from going further?
Old April 23, 2009, 02:32 PM   #2
BigJimP

Rust is primarily caused by condensation / storing a gun in an environment where its humid / as it cools where you have the gun stored - the moisture will collect on the coldest thing around ( cast iron table tops on tools, gun barrels, etc ).

I'm assuming you're in a maritime community / so the first thing you have to do is clean the barrel - and a couple of things I've tried .... a coat of paste wax will work pretty well / a light coat of oil - like #2 Rig Oil / there are some other products that I use on things like my table saw top - BoeShield T-9 ( I have not tried it on my guns ).

You might try and get a little heat in the area where you store your guns / like a small wattage light bulb inside your safe. Make sure there is good air circulation around the guns in your safe ( don't store guns in a soft sided case, that traps moisture ). If you shoot the guns, on a rainy day - take them apart - clean them, let them dry out ( take stocks off, etc ) - clean, lube them, spray them with Rig #2 or wax them - and it should stop.
Old April 23, 2009, 02:53 PM   #3
ar15chase

What he said. also you should put some silica packets in your safe to help absorb the moisture. I keep those in my safe, and every ammo can I have.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 23, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
BigJimP

Silica packets are good ... but when they saturate, they become like a wet sponge - and then they give off moisture ( and can make it worse ) until they equalize.

If you use Silica packets - you need to bake them periodically ( in an oven , or laying on top of a barbecue cover while you're cooking a rack of meat or something ) not a microwave... - and dry them out.
Old April 23, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
ar15chase

I forgot the throw that part in. Thanks. Have any of you used those electric de-humidifiers they make for safes? I thought about getting one a while back but couldnt figure out how I would plug it in with the safe door closed.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 23, 2009, 04:03 PM   #6
oneounceload

Living here in lovely, but humid, Florida - my small safe has three BIG dessicant packages AND a Golden Rod dehumidifier.....SO far, all is well - I have to "dry out" the dessicant about every 6 weeks or so....two of the three are the plain no frills boxes with the colored dots.....the other one is the type you can plug in to dry out. There are a variety of brand names, but they're all made by the same company - they work, BUT, it takes me a lot longer to get them dried out than they say.....more like 5-6 hours, not two

Use those things and put a light oil on them, and your guns should be OK
Old April 23, 2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Pahoo

SPUSCG:
I'm going to guess that you are primarily having this problem with the barrels off the 870 Express. This is understandable as the finish is not as good as the WingMasters. Again, addressing the 870 Express, the last one I owned showed this problem right out of the box. My safe has a Hot Rod inside and I never did stop chasing this problem. Finally had to trade it off. You certainly can cover it up but to some degree, it will still there. In some situations, I have used the Silica packs as well and it's true what BigJimP has stated and they need to be regenerated every so often. Well perhaps not quite like a sponge but will lose their effectiveness. Take care not to heat them up too fast as the little grains will fragment and not be as effective. It's like rock salt turning into table salt. in this case, low and slow is the ticket.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 23, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
SPUSCG

Yeah, its an express, I probably will end up buying a better shotgun in the future. Where do you get silica packs? I usually only get one when I buy new shoes.
Old April 23, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
ar15chase

You can order them online, they are cheap. Or just buy a bunch of beef jerkey, which ever you prefer.
Old April 23, 2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Pahoo

Quote:
Yeah, its an express,
Imagine that!! Gees I like making a good call especially when this is my first one this month.
As far as locating the packs or canisters, why don't you Google it. I know that Midway has them and would not be surprised if MidSouth has them as well. This stull is very easy to find you won't have to buy a bunch of shoes to get what you need.

Be Safe !!!
Old April 23, 2009, 05:08 PM   #11
SPUSCG

how many silica packs do i need.....i love beef jerkey but i dont think i can eat THAT much.
Old April 23, 2009, 05:26 PM   #12
publius

On an express I spray a heavy coat of rem. oil or similar on it and let it sit on the workbench for a couple of days. usually i put another heavy coat on and let it sit for another couple of days. Then wipe off excess. the finish on an express will really soak up a lot of oil and if you do this every once in a while it will really help stave off the rust. do remember to wipe it down with an oily rag after each use just as you would do any other gun.
Old April 23, 2009, 05:35 PM   #13
sophijo

dessicant

I use a tray of cat litter and throw it out periodically.
Old April 23, 2009, 05:55 PM   #14
longranger

The problem with most "gun oils" is that they are highly refined oils and migrate to places unknown. I have for 35 years when I lived near the coast in CA wiped my guns down with plain old motor oil.Motor oil is designed to cling and prevent rust.What ever oil you use in your vehicles is good for wiping metal down.No rust ever even when guns are stored in travel cases.
Old April 23, 2009, 08:03 PM   #15
jmr40

I've heard synthetic motor oils such as Mobile 1 work well. Never tried it but a lot of people recommend using Johnsons Paste wax on the wood and metal surfaces of their guns. Seems like a good idea.
Old April 23, 2009, 08:07 PM   #16
SPUSCG

Well I think ill just get one of these car dehumidifiers i saw on sale and try to remove rust. This will probably be my beater range gun though, Im upgrading next year. Possibly the marine magnum, thats nickle coated and everything so it wouldnt rust.
Old April 23, 2009, 08:45 PM   #17
zippy13

Lot's of good advice on preservatives and moisture control. My friend BigJimP, the first responder, knows about rust prevention. Where he lives, it rains so often that shooting glasses come with windshield wipers.

To remove light rust, use Flitz polish sparingly.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:27 PM   #18
Scattergun Bob

SPUSCG

I think we discussed this when you first posted about your express. Remington seems spotty on the express finish. 0000 steel wool or synthetic wool and Flitz GENTLY applied will help remove rust blossoms and the same wool and Sheath will help with overall rust removal. Rust proof your express OFFTEN, and inspect frequently.

The good news is that we have several NEW expresses in the shop and the finish seems much more uniform and thicker, ABOUT TIME.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old April 24, 2009, 01:24 PM   #19
RamSlammer

The exterior finishes on the Express models are notoriously lousy at repelling rust. doesn't affect performance at all. We keep a scotchbrite (non scratch - pink) pad saturated with CLP and go over these when they dry from a wet hunt in duck season. Takes the rust off and leaves a protective coating until the next time someone dunks a gun or gets rained on.

Express' aren't showpieces just keep 'em oiled down on the outside and they'll outlive you.
Old April 24, 2009, 02:59 PM   #20
BigJimP

I do know rust - but that's just in my shoulder joints these days ... never mind.... ( but a little rain never hurt anything ..).

My best to you - and your station or shipmates in the Coast Guard.... Semper Paratus or "Always Ready" .... to some of you guys. He understands what I mean.
Old April 24, 2009, 03:00 PM   #21
SPUSCG

I think ill make this a range and field gun, as it seems desighned for. I can do some maintenance and jsut have it in my trunk. Im buying a new shotgun in the fall, so I now have an excuse for 2
Old April 24, 2009, 06:44 PM   #22
ar15chase

I can agree with a few of the people on here who used motor oil. I was at the lake last summer, when a rainstorm hit, not knowing my tent leaked since it was new, I stupidly left my gun under my sleeping bag while we were getting hammered with rain. After the rain stoped I picked my 9mm out of the puddle of water in my tent, and said "&@#$@#@#.!!!!!!" I had no gun oil of course, so I took oil off the dipstick of my truck a few times, and lubed it up. No rust.
Old April 25, 2009, 10:43 AM   #23
James R. Burke

All my guns are stored in the basement very moist. I keep a coat of good oil on them, and some silica packs. I always wipe them down with oil after I handle them or about every two months if I am not using them. Never had any rust ever.
Old April 25, 2009, 06:49 PM   #24
BigJimP

Don't use the "food pack" silica packs .......go to a store where you can buy silica packs that are about 6" X 6" ( maybe hardware stores, barbecue stores have them ( put in high end barbecues that stay outside ), maybe a good sporting goods store ( Cabellas, etc ) ...

And get at least 4 of them / 2 to put in your safe - 2 to dry out and rotate them in and out once a month at least.

But honestly - a low wattage light bulb - is a lot easier ...keeps the temperature up in the safe...
Old April 25, 2009, 08:53 PM   #25
zippy13

"I had no gun oil of course, so I took oil off the dipstick of my truck a few times, and lubed it up."

Been there, done that -- any port in a storm.