The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 31, 2007, 12:45 AM   #1
TheBoondockSaint

Tactical Response THE FIGHT FoF Scenarios 5/19-5/20

The Fight Force on Force Scenarios AAR 5/19-5/20
Murfreesboro, Tn

This is a must take class… it will humble you in ways you cannot begin to understand. If you think you are a badass or that your range skills and competitive shooting will save you against a real criminal threat... take this class and see if you really are as squared away as you believe yourself to be. It will only cost you a little pride, some welts, and of course tuition. The Fight FoF Scenarios is also a “drinking from the fire hose” experience. I learned fundamentals and principles of Fighting with a gun in Fighting Pistol. FoF on taught me what I personally will do when faced when stress and Murphy are introduced to the mix. I feel as though fighting pistol is about learning the gun, tactics, mindset, and legal issues. Where FoF is about learning how the real weapon works (the brain). It is hard to really understand if you have absorbed the Fighting Pistol material until it becomes a two-way range. Under stress I learned many things about myself both good and bad. Lessons I feel fortunate to have learned in a safe environment, not in a fight for my life.

After the first day I was disappointed in myself, because I knew that I was capable of holding myself to a higher standard. By day two, I was no longer coming out of the gate in condition Orange… it made some of my reactions slower but I gained so much from not being so amped up. I feel as though I was improving my reactions and learning as we progressed. I felt surprisingly good about how I managed the final scenario, especially with Joe being such convincing role player. By the time we were at the other end of the warehouse and I was speaking to 911, for the first time in class I reached a level of adrenaline equal to being in a real fight. My hands were shaking, feet heavy, perception of time slowed, and out of breath. I was pleased that even though my mind was so fogged up with adrenaline… I kept thinking “SLOW DOWN, scan for other threats”. While talking to 911 I was thinking ‘SLOW DOWN, you need help… not absolution.”
I noticed that early in the class students fixate on the gun as an immediate go to lifeline, then “911” becomes the go-to-lifeline with students attempting to get on the phone before the threats/non-threats had been properly negotiated, and if you were learning and progressing getting off the X became the highest priority while your ooda loop was processing and threats/potential threats were negotiated. This class definitely reinforces the concept of “the best fight is the one that doesn’t happen.”
I am glad that I kept very detailed notes on my after scenarios sheets. I think I learned more about myself in this class than I have in any other experience other than actually being in a real street fight. Being able to go over your after scenario notes later will demonstrate the tachypsychia or “tachy psyche effect” that is discussed in the fighting pistol class/DVD.

To Shay and Chris, thank you again for allowing me in this class. The Barrett’s, their employees, and their friends were incredibly hospitable (when not shooting at me). My fellow students were a really good group of guys and gal. This is an exceptionally valuable thing when sequestered together for two days. That aspect of the class is like jury duty in a frat house. For those of you that just completed this class I would recommend buying a copy of Rob Pincus’ book “Combat Focus Shooting” it would be a good companion to the things you learned during the FoF training. Shay, Joe, and Mike make an amazing team. The enthusiasm and realism of the role players (Trailhiker & xmikex) was beyond anything I could have imagined. These guys can really transform a warehouse into any scenario with the level of intensity and depth of acting that only T.J. and his brother bring to the class. The role players and instructor really made this class, which is why I would recommend the Tactical Response FoF class to anyone that is looking to progress as a warrior. I must also agree with Wood, the Group GOAT would have been legendary!!!

Final Thoughts:
If you think you are moving… MOVE MORE, MOVE FASTER, & MOVE FURTHER!!!
Practice your one-handed shooting, reloading, and malfunction clearing… in a gunfight you are very likely to be injured in your hands. Practice one-handed drills with your primary and complimentary hands, Murphy will **** you.
Being legally justified to shoot has nothing to with being tactically justified to engage. Trading lead for lead is not a good course of action; if you must go to gun do everything possible to improve your position.
I hope in the future that there will be an Advanced FoF Scenarios class offered by Tactical Response, if there is I will be there.
Avoid ATM’s… when a wall dispenses money it will attract predators.
The Fight FoF Scenarios is a huge piece of the “Warrior” puzzle. This is your opportunity to test all that training and range time without your life being put on the line. Shay works hard to keep this class both safe and realistic. Don’t give up, stay in the fight till its over… when on the two way range keep fighting because mercy is not a virtue you can expect from your opponent(s).

T