The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Doggieman

Man followed in car by rednecks, confrontation

Would you have handled this in the same way?

http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=591

It is staged though.. but a good lesson nonetheless
Old May 25, 2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Slugthrower

Those dorks got what they they deserved. The Beemer guy shouldn't have flipped them off, but that isn't really a big deal.

The hillbillies are lucky that they didn't get shot. Funny how there attitudes changed once they realised that they shouldn't have brought a baseball bat to a gun fight. Bet the skinny one has some nice skid marks in his pants.
Old May 25, 2007, 05:57 PM   #3
CarbineCaleb

Considering the rednecks were seeking to corner him and provoke a fight the entire time, and then came out with a baseball bat once they did, I don't know what else he could have done - at least he didn't shoot them. I can't say that it'd have been any loss if he did.
Old May 25, 2007, 07:10 PM   #4
junkpile

This has been tackled in two other threads, this one and this one.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Doggieman

man you are on the ball!
Old May 26, 2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Mannlicher

Pretty old story Doggie, and by the way, is it necessary to use the term 'redneck' in such a pejorative way?
I mean we don't use the "N" word here, or make fun or light ,f Jews, Muslims or those whoe are gender challanged...........

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 26, 2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Doggieman

didn't realize I used it in that way! What about that comedian who uses it all the time?
Old May 26, 2007, 07:11 PM   #8
John28226

Aren't we getting just too sensitive?

I think the term "redneck" is an adjective or a descriptive noun. Not really a word to not use when it applies.

Maybe we should all just sit in the middle of the floor, hold hands and sing songs - or go to sensitivity classes??

I think PC sucks! And I don't like that word!

John
Charlotte, NC (AKA Mayberry)
Old May 27, 2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
What about that comedian who uses it all the time?
Analogous to the black comedians who use the N word.

Denny
Old May 27, 2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Doggieman

so he is a redneck himself? I didn't think there was a bright line test of "redneckery" like there might be for race. Can one be half-redneck and still use the term to refer to oneself? What if one thinks of oneself as a redneck but everyone else doesn't? Can one still use the term?
Old May 27, 2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
is it necessary to use the term 'redneck' in such a pejorative way?
Is there a meliorative use?

Actually where I came from, "redneck" was a proud class of people who believed in hard work, usually out of doors, usually on the farm/ranch.

I take it that the term as used here is meant to infer "white trash" or some such categorization?

Of course, you won't hear southern rednecks speaking like those boys, eh?
Old May 27, 2007, 05:00 PM   #12
MCCALL911

I agree it's staged...

but that's just my opinion.

I would have a problem with taking someone else's property at gunpoint like that, i.e. the video camera. I'm no legal expert, but this might be construable as armed robbery.

Entertaining video, anyway.

Moe Howard: "Fire at will!"
Larry Fine: "Which one's Will?"
Old May 27, 2007, 05:01 PM   #13
FM12

OK, history lesson time:

Farmers and others that would work out of doors were exposed to a lot of sunlight, DUH! Unlike the "city folk", they seldom got haircuts, and when they did, it left the back of their neck white because of the longer hair covering their neck. A little more exposure to the sun after the new haircut would cause the freshly exposed skin on the back of their neck to turn "red", making them "rednecks." This was a way to tell who was from the city (frequent haircuts, NO redneck), and who was from the country,(less frequent haircuts, "red" neck). This was usually most noted in the fall, when the workers would go to town to shop for school supplies, and everyone get their "going back to school clothes" & haircut. The taunts of "redneck" would usually start then.

Although a derogatory term now, it SHOULD signify a group of hardworking persons who were more rural than urban.

I usually claim to be a redneck myself, but not a "hillbilly."
Old May 27, 2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Magdaddy

Them guys had funny accents, like they're from the north east er something. Not an expert, but I don't think theres any real rednecks north of Ky. or west of Tx.
Old May 27, 2007, 08:24 PM   #15
elrod

Right on southern brothers! I, for one, do not object to being called a redneck. (Rather proud of it). I realize this is not quite on thread, but I am fed up to here with PC----call me a honkey, cracker, redneck, or whatever! My skin is way too thick to be "offended".
Old May 28, 2007, 02:54 PM   #16
michael t

redneck redneck redneck redneck redneck redneck redneck redneck hillbillyredneck

PC PC PC PC PC PC :barf::barf::barf::barf:
Old May 28, 2007, 02:56 PM   #17
MCCALL911

And oh yeah...

I'm from Alabama, so I'd be hurt if someone didn't call me a redneck!

Moe Howard: "Fire at will!"
Larry Fine: "Which one's Will?"
Old May 28, 2007, 03:03 PM   #18
kcshooter

Quote:
I would have a problem with taking someone else's property at gunpoint like that, i.e. the video camera.

Aww, come on, if it wasn't for situations like that I'd never have gotten a video camera. Or cellphone. Or laptop. Or car.

(BTW, LEO's, that a joke)
Old May 29, 2007, 09:40 AM   #19
PILMAN

Quote:
Is there a meliorative use?

Actually where I came from, "redneck" was a proud class of people who believed in hard work, usually out of doors, usually on the farm/ranch.

I take it that the term as used here is meant to infer "white trash" or some such categorization?

Of course, you won't hear southern rednecks speaking like those boys, eh?
As a northern transplant living in the south (don't worry i'm a conservative), generally the term redneck was referring to anyone that had a simple view on life, generally a lot of manual labor and a hard worker, normally nationalistic and very patriotic as well as a Christian. Also viewed to drive pickup trucks or buy American only, a gun owner and save money by doing work on their own houses. Normally viewed as a rebel of some sort or anti-yankee, the term could be used negatively or positive as the europeans say "stupid redneck" in comparison to anyone. I would say "hillbilly" was considered to be worse than a redneck, I always figured a hillbilly was someone who was ignorant of the world around them living in the middle of the country in a trailer or something. I guess a hillbilly could be compared to a poor ghetto black or something.

I don't think negative of the term redneck, I have many family and friends who would be "rednecks" and they seem to be proud of being known as one , heck most southerners are warm welcoming people and plenty of hospitality, i'll take living in a town full of rednecks over liberal yankees any day.
Old May 29, 2007, 01:25 PM   #20
JR47

I'm amazed that purportedly intelligent men and women would believe that such an event wasn't staged, and worthless.

Face it, if you have a BMW, or a vid-cam, or any of today's electronics, would you actually believe that NOBODY had a cell phone? Or that the crew in the BMW wouldn't have used it?

It's a bit of shot-for-entertainment video. That's like drawing life-lessons from Two and-a-half Men.
Old June 3, 2007, 01:12 AM   #21
Mahalaleel

Redneck, N word, white trash, whatever someone says, you can choose to be offended or not. I'd say inflection is a more realistic way to detect whether you should be offended, and you can't really hear what the person on the other side of the internet is typing...

Someone could say "hey man," and it could be offensive if he wanted it to be. Don't look for offense where it isn't intended. Same thing as calling football buddies the "n word." If it's between friends and no offense is intended, it's no foul. Everyone just needs to lighten up about vocabulary.

If someone truly intends to be considered racist/religion-ist/whatever because that's what they believe, they need therapy and some edumacation for their ignorant behinds.

Sorry for the long spiel, this is a subject I feel intensely about...
Old June 3, 2007, 12:23 PM   #22
45-70

Redneck Peckerwood

As a child I was raised way out in the country in the Deep South. (let's say that was more than 50 years ago.) "Redneck" was usually sort of a compliment, at least if you smiled when you said it. You need some background to understand the rest, though.

In those days, I almost never heard the word "woodpecker" used to describe the bird that hammers away at trees, except in the cartoons at the "picture show" on Saturday or if your grandmother was present. When you saw one of those birds in the woods, they were called "peckerwoods." Yeah, some of us knew there was a kind of bad connotation to it, but that's why we didn't say it around grandmothers or preachers.

If someone was a real low-life jerk, he was called a "redneck peckerwood." The worst of that lot were just simply "peckerwoods." Both of those were "perjorative," which means you start a fistfight with them.
Old June 3, 2007, 12:37 PM   #23
alligator94

Fake

This has been circulating for a while it is an admitted fake, and a good example of what not to do.
Old June 3, 2007, 01:24 PM   #24
pax

Not discussing tactics or training, much ... and the opening post was about a mythical event that's been posted before.

Guess it's probably time to lay this one to rest.

pax
Closed Thread