The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2011, 11:18 AM   #26
SteelChickenShooter

To answer the question of storage, but lacking a safe, here's what I did: I searched supply catalogs for industrial or lab grade, heavy duty garage grade steel cabinets with key locks. Not flimsy thin metal doors easy to pry open, but at least thicker metal with better hinges and a better lock. It's a good compromise to keep kids out of the guns without having a large, heavy, expensive safe. Yes it is true some quality made cabinets can cost a great deal. But there should be plenty that fit a particular need at a reasonable cost. Another lead, in this economy, is to attend auctions at places where companies are going out of business. I cashed in this bigtime by getting a wonderful high priced work bench for next to nothing. And as a bonus, the drawers are all locking with keys and were full of nice tools.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:20 PM   #27
langenc

Ten or so years ago I got a couple of those 'gun cuffs' that I thought would sell like hotcakes. Installed them in bedroom closets and keep em locked.

Just the wife and I here. Occasional 3 yo grandson. He dont mess w/ guns
esp when locked and closet doors closed (bifold doors).
Old July 28, 2011, 03:59 PM   #28
Gun Casket

The perfect shotgun safe

I've got kids "trained" to not touch my guns but they've got friends in our home all the time. Who knows what their friends parents teach (or don't teach) about handling weapons. Better to be safe than sorry...

I'm one of the owners of Gun Casket (www.GunCasket.com) and we actually just released a safe that would be perfect for your application. It's a small safe that perfectly fits most shotguns. It fully encloses your shotgun and you can slip it under your bed, behind a door, on a shelf in your closet etc.

You said you won't need your shotgun for HD, but if you do, our safe will open in about two seconds (if you know the 4-6 digit code).

Sorry, this post sounds like a commercial, but I think it's exactly what you and many shotgun owners have been waiting for. I wanted the same type of safe for myself and nobody makes one so our company decided to add this shotgun model to our lineup. Hope this helps.
Old July 28, 2011, 11:25 PM   #29
shortwave

Many years ago I didn't have the means for a safe but wanted to secure my firearms.

The old house we lived in had a rather large walkin closet in the master bedroom. I took and made a false wall in the back of the closet. The storage area was complete with pistol,long-gun and ammo compartments. I installed a pull chain light inside compartment and painted the sliding access pocket door to match the original side walls of closet.

You couldn't tell it was there when looking in closet and kids never did know it was there.

Of course a safe is the best route.
Old December 4, 2011, 06:53 PM   #30
Yung.gunr

My idea

Before I got my gun safe I got some of the hooks that you use for bikes with the rubber on them. I put two in the wall horizontally to hold the long guns. Put them up about 7ft high and it would be tough for the kids to get to it. I then took a heavy duty eye bolts and put them deep into the studs. Took some cable with the crimp style connectors and made a loop with the cable through the eye (that way it couldn't be unbolted). I used the cable locks that came with the guns and ran it through the action and locked it to the cable.

With the pistols I used the locks that came with the gun and ran them through the action and they just "hung out" there from the cable bolted to the wall.

I know it was not as secure as a safe, nor was it fireproof at all (pretty ghetto looking too). It kept the guns away from the kids and would cause any smash and grab thieves to rethink..

I think the whole thing cost me less then $30 and made the wife feel a lot more secure.