The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 2, 2007, 11:53 AM   #1
chris in va

Taking a 2nd level class soon

This coming weekend I'll be taking a level II handgun training class which involves use of various positions and barricades.

The instructor said we'll be shooting 250 rounds or more. My CZ75 would be my first choice, but it's not that reliable with some stovepipes and I'd have to go buy another mag at $35 plus try and find a belt mag holder. The Fobus holster also is extremely retentive, not to my liking.

Or, I could use my uber-reliable Sig 220 but deal with the 45 recoil and extra cost of ammo. I have a good holster already, just need the mag holder.

I shoot the CZ a lot better than the Sig. Worth getting it up to speed for the class? Oh and we may be using steel poppers.
Old June 2, 2007, 12:35 PM   #2
kcshooter

I wouldn't take an unreliable gun to a training. I would take the one I carry the most. If I had to pick between those two, I would pick the sig for both carry and class simply for it's reliability. I would also spend some time before the class on the range with the sig and try to get a little better with it, or at least more comfortable. Spend the extra money on ammo, it's gonna be worth it.
Old June 5, 2007, 12:12 AM   #3
pangris

I'd get rid of the unreliable gun, period, regardless.
Old June 5, 2007, 01:45 AM   #4
chris in va

Well, I think much of the reliability issues with the CZ are mag related. The Sig's springs are very stiff, making it pretty hard to load the last round. I installed the 'extra power' Wolff springs in the CZ's but they still load like wet bread.

There's no way I'm selling that CZ though, what a range gun.

You're right though, I'll probably just take the Sig.
Old June 5, 2007, 08:57 AM   #5
mlandman

Take what you'll carry.