The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2018, 01:32 PM   #26
JeepHammer

How does that work on digital calipers?
Old July 21, 2018, 01:48 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Funny you should ask. I got a cheapo set of Harbor Freight calipers just because the processor in the metering unit had the option of producing fractions to the nearest 1/128th of an inch in the display and I was trying to teach a neighbor's kid about fractions at the time. But these calipers were just awful. Cut-you sharp edges at every corner and they felt gritty sliding and the jaws splayed and flexed badly. So I tore them down and discovered they were chock full of grinding dust. A true zero QC product.

I happened to have a gallon jug of Bransonic ultrasonic water-based circuit board cleaner and I removed the battery and got the tool as far apart as I conveniently could do and used that solution to clean the whole set inside and out, followed by a short time in the ultrasonic with DI water followed by sitting in a desiccator full of baked-out montmorillonite clay (STP brand oil absorbent) for a couple of weeks. It came out working fine and is dramatically less gritty in operation. Pain in the backside to have to do all that to it and to use a Craytex bit on my Fordham tool to dehorn it, though. I've probably got enough work in it to have justified buying a good set in the first place, but then it was mainly time rather than money and I always did like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 21, 2018, 03:01 PM   #28
hdwhit

Quote:
JeepHammer wrote:
You NEED a quality, accurate measuring tool, caliper or micrometer.
I have a decent caliper that I mostly use for checking case length, but spent most of my tool money on a quality micrometer.
Old July 22, 2018, 11:24 AM   #29
F. Guffey

Quote:
why own a gauge at all when they have the chamber right there...
I believe you could find as many excuses for that procedure not working as you have listed for the failure for any other method and or technique.

About the only procedure you did not cover was the verifying of a gage. For years and years Sinclair/Hornady sold a comparator with a radius, I do not know how long it took them to be convinced there is no way to verify/ZERO the comparator with a radius. I thought many reloaders were going to pass out before they started recommending measure before and again after.

The problem was complicated by their refusal to recognize the difference between a head space gage and a comparator.

Back to the case gage: The case gage is 80 years old +/-, it is not a drop-in gage, it is not a head space gage because the case does not have head space. Point: The case gage can be verified, it is possible to use a standard to check it for accuracy.

"IT is possible", I have decided this stuff is not for everyone.

F. Guffey
Old July 22, 2018, 07:50 PM   #30
BWM

I would try to change my resizing die a little. Back it up a tad
Old July 23, 2018, 06:23 PM   #31
JeepHammer

Keeping in mind that about 80% or so of new employees will wash out or quit inside of 6 months in a machine shop (or any employment requiring more brain power than pushing boards through a saw or pulling pieces out of a mold and stacking them)...

We start the new hires out on a broom.
If they can figure out how to sweep out a corner with a shop broom, we move them to cleaning cuttings from machines, and so on.
When they get to tool stage it's one good dial caliper (usually something that just barely missed passing QC) and they WILL learn to use it or they hit the bricks.
If you can't teach new hires to read a machinist scale (ruler) and a direct read caliper in 6 months, no point in wasting more time on them.

And the current generation, a recent case, absent 6 days (no calls), late 19 of the first 30 work days and saw nothing wrong with it. Couldn't understand why he was let go...

Keep in mind, in the past twenty years at this, I've had exactly ONE person I didn't have to teach basic math, and teach them fractions from scratch. Most can't do simple addition/subtraction of anything with places behind the decimal point (probably why they can't make change for a dollar or balance a check book anymore).
That one guy has been here 14 years.

I honestly don't want to be a jerk about it, but what the hell happened to basic math & shop classes?

I've given up several times on this forum when trying to explain something as simple as reducing the neck sizer ball or opening up the neck (under sizer) in the die.
It's like π r2 escapes people and they don't understand the significance of even slight changes in the diameter of a circle...
If they can't run an 1/8" jump in drill size through it, they aren't interested.
Old July 23, 2018, 10:27 PM   #32
Irish Lad

"(or any employment requiring more brain power than pushing boards through a saw or pulling pieces out of a mold and stacking them)..."
"I honestly don't want to be a jerk about it, but what the hell happened to basic math & shop classes?"
I apologize if I misread the intention of your post, but I read it as demeaning to people who have certain jobs. I was raised by a father who was actually a rocket scientist and worked on NASA projects. He always stressed to me to respect everyone who worked no matter what they did for an honest living. Me, I retired from the phone company after many years of climbing up and down telephone poles fixing good old landlines. Didn't take a lot of brain power, but I enjoyed my job(maybe not when it was raining) and made a good living at it. God Bless