The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 12, 2018, 01:40 PM   #26
precision_shooter

6.5 Creed is the .260 done right, that’s why people are fans of it, not because of the name. 6.5 Creed addressed all the shortcomings of the .260 and proved that with those issues solved it’s a much better .264” shooter.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 12, 2018, 09:39 PM   #27
Ledslnger

The CM had a ton of $ spent on marketing. Most of the people shooting it probably think it’s the first 6.5 ever made a Lol. The Swede, Saum, .260, and PRC all smoke it.
Old July 13, 2018, 06:16 AM   #28
hooligan1

Ledslinger the 6.5×55 is the old stand fast, but the reason the Creedmoor was developed was for low recoil and barrel life, while not as good as Swede it recoils less and maitains energy after 600 that rivals .30 cartridges.
The PRC is interesting to me because of local roots, George Gardner of GAP helped design that cartridge for shooting 140's to 3150 and no faster, which is a rule in some of these matches.
I have a Creedmoor, but it does nothing better than any Swede, but it's easy to load for, and it's accuracy is superb.
Old July 13, 2018, 06:36 AM   #29
muzzleblast...

Some years ago, one Saturday morning I looked over a USRAC, Winchester M70 stainless, walnut stocked 6.5X55 while perusing the tables at a gun show. By the next morning, I had convinced myself that I needed it. Went back and the seller wasn't there. I still don't have a 6.5X55...
Old July 13, 2018, 06:49 PM   #30
std7mag

Nice rifle, good groups!

I'm not surprised the Creed came up. Mention 505 Gibbs, and someone will compare it to the Creed.

Simularities. Mild recoil, with good high BC bullet choices.
Otherwise your comparing an 1890's military round to a made for competition round.
I've seen simular groups with my 257 Roberts and 250 Savage. Others with 6mm Rem, 7mm-08 and 308.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...