The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 7, 1999, 12:15 PM   #1
Futo Inu

Since I notice that many people use traditional IWB holsters for concealed carry, this question has been bugging me for some time:

I personally cannot see why anyone would buy or use a "non-tuckable" IWB, but instead use either a tuckable IWB, OR use a BS or paddle or shoulder, because you really can't conceal a regular IWB anyway, can you, without the same sort of garment that would cover the others (i.e. a jacket). So therefore why would you put up with the discomfort of an IWB unless it was a deep cover "tuckable"? Is it because you are concealing with say, a sweatshirt, sweater, or simply an untucked t-shirt? I can see using an IWB with the first two, I suppose, but what about the summertime? - If you are using just an untucked ordinary t-shirt or other thin shirt, you're going to print badly, aren't you, because the looseness of the untucked shirt will cause it to press against the gun's outline, and also "pull up" above the beltline when you bend down, etc. (unless you're sporting gangsta-wear). If, on the other hand, you use a tuckable IWB, then the "pooch", for lack of a better term, immediately above the belt-line, caused by the tuck itself, will form a "cavity" within which the gun is held; therefore much less printing. Maybe you guys are wearing vests or something. My point is, as long as you must wear a jacket, wouldn't you be much more comfortable with a non-IWB?

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited October 07, 1999).]
Old October 7, 1999, 04:09 PM   #2
JerryM

Futo, I have found the IWB the only practical way for me. I tried a tuckable and found it too bulky to suit me. I always have worn my shirt out with a squared tail. Here in the Southwest a jacket isn't practical for everyday wear. I have never thought the photo vests were practical and I can't imagine that you wouldn't show the gun during some everyday activities. The OWB holsters are more comfortable, but simply aren't useful in the hotter climates for my use. I wear a reasonably dark shirt that isn't form fitting and have never found that the gun prints. I, at various times, carry a compact 1911, a S&W 640 and 642, and a G26. The Glock is the most uncomfortable due to its thickness. Seems that the Glock always wants to dig in me. I am 5-10 and weigh 175 so can't blame a lot of extra flesh (muscle). Others will have much different opinions, but here is one guy that prefers the IWB and don't think I could use anything else in the summer in most states where I carry. Regards, Jerry
Old October 7, 1999, 06:44 PM   #3
SB

Bulkiness and printing tend to be the primary concern for tuckable IWBs. Also, they tend to be slower on the draw than non-tuckable ones. All IWBs are inherently uncomfortable to varying degrees. For mine, I now have to wear an additional undergarment T-shirt or tank top, like socks with boots. After that, it's not so much of a problem. My rig and style will work regardless of season and weather. The only caveat is that I must wear untucked shirts, but I have also worn 3-piece suits and sports coats with great success. Again, the only catch is that I must never take the suit off. Best of all, I can do this anywhere, anytime, with anything that provides untucked fabric without ever having to use additional holsters or carry positions, even when sitting in a car or restraunt.

There are downsides also. But no carry system is perfect. Point is, it will require experimentation and field trials before it is fine-tuned to your needs.
Old October 7, 1999, 10:49 PM   #4
DWM

I carry in a Blade-Tech IWB and this works fairly well for me. I haven't tried a tuckable, but I think that tucking the shirt in around my waist would cause the shirt to cling even closer to my gun, therefore printing more easily. I also have a small frame, (132lbs./5'9") and therefore have no x-tra bulk to hide any additional bulging in that area. Again, I have yet to try this kind of holster.

I know that belt holsters are more comfortable, but my jackets, coats and sweatshirts are not long enough to fully conceal one as they only hang an inch or two below my belt line. I'd like to try a paddle, but again most of my clothes would not conceal it, so it is hard for me to justify the expense. My only solution to wearing a tucked in shirt right now is a .32ACP pocket pistol.

David
Old October 8, 1999, 02:19 AM   #5
SB

After re-reading the thread, I realized that I didn't exactly answer Mr. Inu's questions.

My concealment methods are completely modeled around the summertime. If you can conceal in the summer, you can conceal any time during the year.

I don't believe in vests. I can't wear vests in the summertime without looking funny. Besides, they scream gun. However, that and a good strong-side paddle, pancake, or speed belt holster is undoubtedly the fastest presentation I've ever seen.

Actually, the bigger the size of the shirts, the less the gun will print. In fact, it is not unusual for people to select over-sized shirts for casual wear, as it tends to be more comfortable. That's probably stating the obvious though. And no, I don't look like a gang-banger. I can only say that concealment works just fine, even with thin fabric.

My IWBs are actually quite comfortable. In my personal experience, there are two variations on the theme for IWBs and Glocks: Open bottoms and rounded bottoms. The advantage of an open bottom is that you can use this holster for both short and long slide Glocks. Unfortunately, they can also be quite uncomfortable as it pokes your body. The other type is rounded bottom. This means if you have a Glock 26 IWB with a rounded bottom, for example, you won't be able to use it with your Glock 19. However, this type is much more comfortable. And for IWBs, this is definitely the way to go. On the other hand, I think the open bottom is better suited for OWBs. Why don't people follow this model consistently, I don't know. Anyways, mine are rounded bottoms. While I do notice them, I have regularly gone as much as 12 hours straight before I start experiencing any noticeable discomfort.

Yeah, printing by bending over is quite a problem. However, this is true for all types of concealment that uses the strong side position. The best recommendation I've heard for this is to learn to bend your legs while keeping your back straight. It's better for your back anyways.

IMHO, the IWB represents the highest level of concealment while still maintaining the speed of presentation necessary for PDWs (Primary Defense Weapon). I think it is the best option for conceal carry if you can get it to work. Paddles may be more versatile, but they tend to print more, at least for me. Pancakes are good too. But most conventional pancakes can't be snapped or slipped off. This is a problem because I have other junk hanging off of my belt. Alan Folt, I think, has an excellent pancake that can be snapped off. Unfortunately, the holster takes up too much belt space. A simple belt holster may be the best way to go. Just two hurdles with OWBs as opposed to IWBs. First, I find the OWBs do not hold the gun as close to your body as the IWBs. This alone is enough of a problem for me to shun it completely. And with long slides, you have to use shirts that will cover the whole thing.

Gosh, I sound like I am bashing everything else in favor of the IWBs. While I think highly of IWBs, I do not think it is the holy grail. For conceal carry, I recommend trying to get IWBs to work first, but if it doesn't work out, there are plenty of other alternatives with little loss or trade off. I'm rambling.
Old October 9, 1999, 12:53 AM   #6
Nakano

I' ll agree that it often depends on dress code and climate. I prefer to use IWBs (Milt Sparks) exclusively as I find them to be an excellent combination of speed/ accessability, comfort and security. Yes, the additional pressure of the belt helps to maintain security to an already snug fitting holster. A properly fitted/ matched belt and comfortable pants will help go a long way. If concealment for a belt holster is first priority then a "tuckable" would be the way to go. If speed of presentation is paramount then an OWB is ideal but for a combo of all considerations as mentioned above, the IWB is the way to go.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

[This message has been edited by Nakano (edited October 09, 1999).]
Old October 9, 1999, 10:37 PM   #7
Grayfox

In warm weather I carry IWB almost all the time and have never had any problems. I tried one of the "tuckable" models and found it stuck out worse than a belt rig. It also required both hands to yank the shirt tail out to reach the gun and was very uncomfortable.
I've also never had any problems with the gun printing. Usually when carrying IWB, I'm dressed casual and wearing a t-shirt. I simply buy the shirts one size larger. BTW: when its hot and sticky the larger shirt is also cooler.

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited October 09, 1999).]
Old October 11, 1999, 05:56 PM   #8
Futo Inu

Thanks, SB and others. That makes sense. I guess what it comes down to is that, gun or no gun, if my shirt is not tucked, then I feel kinda "slouchy" - not tidy & respectable-looking. Also, it just seems that many of the BSs and paddles are so high-ride these days, it doesn't take any more garment to conceal them than an IWB. Well, to each his own...