The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 16, 2018, 09:03 PM   #1
mgulino

Ruger Ranch Rifle

I have a Ruger Ranch rifle in 5.56mm. I also reload 223 ammo. After firing my reloads, each cartridge has a noticeable dent about halfway between the rim and case mouth. I even tried some commercial loads...same dent. Ruger can't explain why, except to say the ranch rifle has a violent ejection. Anyone else experience the same with this rifle?
Also, even after running the empty cases through my FFL sizing die, the dent is till noticeable. I'm erring on the side of caution and not reloading these.
Old July 16, 2018, 09:08 PM   #2
jmr40

Ruger makes a bolt action "Ranch" rifle in 5.56 too, but I assume you mean the Mini-14 Ranch rifle. Actually that isn't uncommon for any semi auto rifle.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ch/models.html

Winston Churchill
Old July 16, 2018, 09:36 PM   #3
ThomasT

Replace the gas bushing with a smaller size and recoil spring with a heavier spring. You may also want to install a buffer. I have done all of this to my Mini and its a much softer shooter and only throws brass about 8 feet away all in the same pile.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:38 AM   #4
lordmorgul

Ruger Ranch Rifle

Yes to replace gas port bushing (there are kits available with several sizes) and add buffer rubber to the op rod. My mini was doing the same, now much more tame... but now also ammo sensitive (my light reload I was using doesn’t run it, commercial 62gr XM855 does). So I have another change to make.

So, expect some tuning of this and several range trips, but it’s fun and worth it.

I’m trying to get mine to cycle with my 53gr OTM light load as well as with 55gr Tula so I can fire the rest of that ammo and use for plinker for friends.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old July 17, 2018, 11:14 AM   #5
rc

To change the gas port bushings you have to unstake the screws for the gas system so buyer beware going there. If you can find a heavier spring it will help slow it down. The cases spin out of a mini and you'll see a wipe of brass on the operating rod where they are getting wacked on exit. My budy has a saiga and it puts a crease in them so bad you can't get it completely out.
Old July 17, 2018, 07:50 PM   #6
mgulino

Yes, it is a mini ranch 14; didn't realize the ranch was offered in a bolt.
May have to try replacing the recoil spring before trying the gas bushing.
I can adjust loads to operate the new setup.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:45 PM   #7
the rifleer

Its the brass hitting the operating rod as it ejects. Its normal, mine foes the same thing. If you look at the oprod near where the charging handle is you'll see where the brass hits.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:50 PM   #8
Bamashooter

Just FYI I have owned my 580 series Mini-14 since 2007 and I have reloaded tons of once fired brass with that ding you speak of in them. 99% of the time resizing fixes it right up. I did install 1911 style buffers on gas block and op rod, Accustrut LT because my 580 series has the skinny barrel, and had a local smith do a trigger job. Left everything else alone and the only ammo it will not cycle is Tula and Im ok with that because Im a reloader and want the brass. The brass getting dinged up isnt anything to worry about IMHO.
Old July 18, 2018, 08:39 AM   #9
mgulino

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have some work to do.