The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 7, 2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Jack O'Conner

Ported Barrels

My Savage 99 always had excessive muzzle jump which affected my shooting. So I did a little research and sent this .308 to Magna Port in Michigan. Their skilled craftsmen formed four slots at the muzzle which reduced recoil and eliminated muzzle jump. Now I find this a joy to shoot; it was money well spent. Cost to me was about $130.00 Disclaimer: I am not employed nor compensated by Magna Port in any way for endorsing their service.

For a time, Marlin ported their barrels with multiple round holes which is the same concept but different approach to eliminating muzzle jump.

TR
Old July 7, 2018, 09:37 AM   #2
taylorce1

Nice Savage 99! I had the same problem with my 99 in .358 Win, but ultimately I sold the rifle because I didn't want to modify the rile.
Old July 7, 2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Scorch

While the Magna-Port system looks very clean and is 1960s cutting edge, it reduces recoil by only about 15%-20%, while more recent developments in brakes can easily give 50% recoil reduction but are typically not as visually pleasing. In my shop, I install an average of 2 or 3 muzzle brakes per month (more right before hunting season, fewer during late winter/early spring). Light weight magnum rifles in particular benefit from more recoil reduction, but you can often get almost the same level of ballistic performance with less recoil simply by stepping down in case size. If you need further recoil reduction, then a brake can make most hunting rifles quite tame.
Old July 7, 2018, 11:44 PM   #4
kozak6

I think I'd rather have the barrel threaded for a brake.

However, that front sight would make it a bit more difficult and expensive. I suppose Magnaporting is a reasonable compromise.
Old July 8, 2018, 11:54 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...is 1960s cutting edge..." More like the 70's. Wasn't a full time business until 1973. They also did the math to determine the exact dimensions, shapes and angles required for the holes.
In any case, both brakes and porting are more about reducing muzzle jump than felt recoil. And the both increase the muzzle blast for the shooter and anybody close to him.
"...threaded for a brake..." Isn't always possible.
Old July 8, 2018, 01:00 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"...threaded for a brake..." Isn't always possible.
Threading for a brake is always possible, it just my require more work than some people want to pay for.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:29 AM   #7
Jack O'Conner

My primary concern was muzzle jump and MagnaPort was the right choice for me.

Jack