The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old January 15, 2007, 03:40 PM   #26
HangFire83

NYPost....I'll bite....Why the different colored tarps???

Jeff Cooper.
HangFire83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007, 08:25 AM   #27
Zephyrnoid

I'm thrilled to read that article in SWAT. I've been working with a partner on an emergency preparedness website now for a year and a half. Any positive reinforcement is appreciated! It is a bit of stretch however to be imagining a 'return to the jungle' scenario as a viable escape route these days. Unfortunately, the most likely SHTF escapes are going to be urban to urban or sub-urban escapes by masses. The wherewithal for masses to figure out survival in the woods beyond a week or so is little to nil.That's mostly because our wilderness food gathering skills have been all but lost and there isn't as much to hunt in the backwoods as there once used to be. As for fish. Here's my take: Total North American fresh water fisheries contain less than one tenth the edible fish today that they did 150 years ago. So that leaves us with fisheries that mostly contain fish with mercury levels too high to make them viable for the long stretch. Add that notion up to the fact that actually catching BIG fish is pretty hard- I'd say a case of Powerbars is a safer bet for a week in the woods.
Zephyrnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007, 03:36 PM   #28
Anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangFire83
...I'll bite....Why the different colored tarps???
Those are the main colors of lightweight tarps. With a few tarps you can have shelter, or wearable shelter, catch rain, work under the car, makeshift stretcher, whatever.

The colors: Green and silver could be used if you don't want to be easily spotted.

Blue can be used when you DO want to be spotted (lost in the woods).

Reds, silver, white, greens, even oranges..... depending on the time of year, these are all colors that exist in nature.

Tarp Blue does not exist in nature, and is readily identifiable as man-made from the air.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2007, 04:52 PM   #29
BillCA

Our biggest risk, here in sunny Kalifornia, comes from earthquakes and the stupidity of our politicians. At least we can knowledgeably prepare for earthquakes.

The last 20 years have seen me working anywhere from 25 to 45 miles from home on a daily basis. The 1989 Loma Prieta (NorCal) quake taught me some serious lessons in what I really needed to reach home or a shelter.

For those of you packing kits in autos and trucks, don't forget to add a dozen trash-can liners (8-13 gallon size) for human waste disposal. You'll need that afer a major event.

My goal is to either reach home or the home of a friend or colleauge when the highways are impassable. I'll need only up to about 24 hours to reach somewhere "safe" as I figure it. If I make it home, I have sufficient stores and equipment to live comfortably unless it takes more than 30 days to recover the area.

In my case, a 45 mile walk home would take somewhere between 12 and 24 hours (there was an 1800 ft mountain in the way). Presuming a larger event with more damage, my kit consisted of;
  • Comfortable walking shoes - a must if you wear dress shoes
  • Thick, cushy socks for walking.
  • Thin gloves (singleweight deerskin or neoprene) for cold weather
  • Lightweight windbreaker, lightly insulated. (it's Kalifornia after all)
  • Hat - baseball caps are my favorite but include a watchcap for ears.
  • Fire kit - matches & two small BIC lighters; plus 1 pack generic cigarettes to aid fire starting
  • Web belt w/full canteen, first aid kit in 30-rd M16 mag pouch.
  • Compass in case I have to "off-road" navigate.
  • Folded area map (of the area I'm travelling)
  • Pocket knife - multifunction or leatherman tool
  • Sheath Knife - my Gerber Mk-II
  • Small pistol w/holster - either a .22 or 9mm
  • Magazines, charged, 2ea.
  • AA Maglight w/lanyard to belt
  • Flashlight 2-C cell in jacket pocket
  • Rain poncho
  • Spare batteries (2 AA & 2-C)
  • Police traffic whistle for emergency signaling
  • Six energy bars in 30-rd mag pouch.
  • Spiral notebook & stubby pencil for writing notes
  • $20 in cash with $10 in ones and two $5 bills

All of this folded and compacted into a small buttpack I carried in a motorcycle saddle bag.
Old February 16, 2007, 04:30 AM   #30
106RR

Bill in CA -- I carry a very similar kit in the bay area. Mine includes a three day supply of pharmaceuticals which I need and condoms to carry water or trade for other goods. A ski mask might be useful. After Katrina all water had to be stolen from stores.
My truck also has BFG ATko tires which are resistant to flats, spare fuel, a CB, a compressor, and spare parts.
106RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007, 09:46 PM   #31
EJJR

*Bump*

Simply because the thread is full of info. that everyone should consider and I fully agree with being prepared for the unexpected. Ive experienced it firsthand.

Don't be a fool, It can happen to you.

Want to learn how to shoot well? http://appleseedinfo.org/
EJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007, 01:13 AM   #32
CobrayCommando

Quote:
In my case, a 45 mile walk home would take somewhere between 12 and 24 hours (there was an 1800 ft mountain in the way).
You walk fast!
CobrayCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007, 10:52 PM   #33
BillCA

Cobray,

Not that fast. 2-3 mph but that doesn't take into account fatigue and rest stops. Going straight along at 3 mph give me about 15 hours. About 24 hours if I can average 2 mph. This assumes the same highway route I travelled.