The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 11, 2020, 03:34 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

I am curious about your question of strength in a replica 1800's big bore, tang sighted rifle.

specifically because "strength" is a nebulous term with different meanings to different people. Often it means absolute failure point (blow up strength) but it can also be used for the "rigidity" or "flex" of an action type.

IF you aren't looking to blow up the gun what's the point of worrying about blow up strength?? Put another way, if rifle A lets go at 118,000psi and rifle B doesn't fail until 123,000psi, rifle B is "stronger" but what possible practical difference can it make??

Period lever guns are "springy" by modern standards, even the best of them made with the best steel of the day. But again, its not something that matters on the practical level shooting black powder pressure levels and using cases headspacing on the rim.

A tang sight can be fitted to any action that has enough tang.
Old November 11, 2020, 09:39 AM   #27
Double K

Scorch

Your right about wood guns, I've bought 2 wood stocked rifles in the last 30years and only because they weren't available in synthetic.
Bolt guns are not going away, every AR-15 loving millennial I know has at least one in one of those weird looking metal chassis "stocks".
Old November 11, 2020, 09:08 PM   #28
dgludwig

Quote:
Your right about wood guns, I've bought 2 wood stocked rifles in the last 30years and only because they weren't available in synthetic.
A sad passing of the guard.
Old November 12, 2020, 04:06 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I guess I'm on the old side of the coin, I've only bought a couple of synthetic stocked rifles in the last 30 years, and only because there was no wood stocked model.

(and those were both semis, not bolt guns)

Yes, I see where times have changed, the market has changed, but I haven't, and the up side is the stuff I like and want is cheaper...now..sometimes, comparatively speaking...
Old November 12, 2020, 06:08 PM   #30
Scorch

As a gunsmith, I build rifles for a living. 10 years ago I built at least 1 rifle/month, mostly bolt actions with wood stocks, but a few fiberglass or carbon fiber stocks for the lightweight hunter crowd. 5 years ago or so it was down to 5 rifles/year, almost all fiberglass bolt guns, camoed and plain jane. I haven't built a wood stocked rifle in 2 years, camoed fiberglass tactical stuff is what the younger crowd is looking for, McMillan stocks and Badger Ordnance hardware with custom actions and scopes that cost as much as a small car. Makes me feel sad that people don't want checkered walnut and blued steel any more. I don't know, maybe this is how the old smiths felt when we wouldn't build custom rifles on Krag actions any more?