The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Sid

Bullet seating problem with Lee Classic Turret Press.

Here is a problem I have never encountered before and I have been reloading for over 50 years. I am loading 9mm Luger with 125 grain lead round nose bullets. The powder charge is 4.7 grains of Winchester AutoComp. The listed OAL for this is 1.125" I prefer to use 1.135 for my EAA Witness Match. In this evening's batch of 50 cartridges, the first ones were the correct length. However, at the end of the run the last cartridges had shortened to .92" in length. This creates a potentially dangerous pressure situation since I am very close to the maximum load for this powder which is 4.8 grains. I have not touched the adjusting screw at all. When I first noticed this last night I reset the adjusting screw to the correct length and was able to load 100 rounds without problem. This evening the problem started up all over again. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. The adjusting screw is not loose in the die.
Old June 24, 2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Sevens

I'll bet you have either shaved lead or bullet lube in your seating die. This happens a lot, especially if you aren't flaring the case mouth enough. The lead build up will grow and your bullets get seated shorter and shorter until you clean out the lead rings.

Clean the seater die and then figure out where/why you have the lead building up.
Old June 24, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
wingman

Quote:
I'll bet you have either shaved lead or bullet lube in your seating die. This happens a lot, especially if you aren't flaring the case mouth enough. The lead build up will grow and your bullets get seated shorter and shorter until you clean out the lead rings.
Bingo, you nailed it. Check those dies.
Old June 25, 2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Sid

Thanks for the help. You nailed it. I took the die apart and found a great deal of lead build-up. It was in the lower body of the die as well as encrusted on the end of the bullet seater itself. The die is part of a set I bought about 2 years ago and I have never disassembled any of them until now.