The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2020, 04:21 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

How I've missed my Ruger MkIII.

I wish I were reporting it's rimfire replacement but in reality it is just nostaglia after shooting an airsoft Ruger Mk1 replica.

The rendering is very faithful to the original, I must say. Even down to the infernal take-down...

Anyway, as recreational shooting firearms out side ranges in not permitted, any shooting I do from my terrace in the forest is limited to my break-barrel airguns my airsoft pistols or has limbs, a string and field-tips.

I decided to buy a slim-grip pistol so that my elder daughter could have a go. The trigger is pretty heavy so hopefully she can hit some tin cans with it.
Old November 25, 2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Adventurer 2

Due to the current circumstances leading to ammo shortages - I’ve revisited my Ruger Mark Iii as I have thousands of 22LR. It’s my most accurate 22 handgun and makes me look like a great shot at the range.
Old November 25, 2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Hawg

I like the MK II better. Just sayin.
Old November 26, 2020, 09:55 AM   #4
GarandTd

Thanks to ammo supplies, I've been primarily taking the 22's out. My range is outdoor at a private club mile from my house. It did not close. My MKIII and my M&P22c have been seeing most of the action. I can't imagine living in the woods and not being able to shoot.
Old December 12, 2020, 01:57 AM   #5
jmstr

I am lucky that my outdoor range is open, but unlucky as I just don't have time to go shooting.

That said, my .22lr handguns get the most use from me, compared to any other caliber I own.

I have a Ruger MK II 6 7/8" Government Target, as well as a Ruger 22/45 [some call it a MK II 22/45, but they didn't make the 22/45 with the earlier generation].

I have gutted/tuned both of them- so they both have aftermarket trigger/triggerbar/hammerbushing/slide-stop/safety/magcatch. I kept the Ruger hammer as I could get the most reliable strikes and crispest trigger break, compared to my luck with Volquartsen parts.

My wife [small hands] loves the 22/45 and it is now 'her' range pistol [and HomeDefense. I know, but she can keep their head down while I change mags.].

I am lucky that I live where we do not have to get a permit for each firearm from the government. I do have to have the government involved, as they record what I buy.

I say this as I recognize the OP's name, and realize the limitations in much of Europe, where he lives.

James, I haven't kept up- do you normally still do a lot with big-caliber revolvers? Or have you moved on [before covid?]
Old December 12, 2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
James, I haven't kept up- do you normally still do a lot with big-caliber revolvers? Or have you moved on [before covid?]
Still have my Ruger Redhawk and thoroughly enjoy it!

Although the competition season was sporadic this year, thanks to lock-down, I have done a few revolver matches. I've loaded some moderate .44Mag loads for those.

The cheap LSWC I got make reloads cumbersome due to the pronouced lip on the bullet profile that catches the chamber edge, but that didn't stop me getting a 1st place in one match! (One of the benefits of being the ONLY revolver shooter there! as long as I don't get a DQ, I just can't lose!)
Old December 12, 2020, 04:58 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

I've sold/traded a few handguns in my time. One I still miss was a Ruger MkII 6 7/8 Govt. I can't remember now why I sold it, but I figured I would just buy another one if I changed my mind.

A few years later, I did, but I could never get it to work properly. I finally ended up buying a MkII series 22/45 which I still have, but it just doesn't have quite the same style points. Shoulda kept that original MkII Govt Target!
Old December 14, 2020, 05:30 PM   #8
Lavan

This is supposedly a MK 4b.

I see no reference to it in Google however.
But I won't ever get rid of it.

(and it now wears the stock front sight)