The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2020, 01:26 PM   #26
Grant 14

I gave up on 3 inch hulls and just ordered 300 2.5 inch hulls. That will keep me busy for a good length of time. I need to find some 7 1/2 shot, since all I have right now is #5, and I think that is too big to be practical for the 410. I will look for 3 inch hulls after the election freakout is over and things get to whatever the new normal will be. This will be a learning experience. Thanks to all, and I might take Double K s offer up and torture myself. Grant.
Old October 20, 2020, 01:59 PM   #27
GE-Minigun

Not going to be a lot of shot with 7.5's...most reload with 9's.
Old October 20, 2020, 03:15 PM   #28
Double K

My skeet loads are #8 1/2 shot with Hodgdon LiLgun powder, it's pretty windy here so I use #6 on the going away targets often.
Nothing quite as satisfying as dusting both station 8 targets with a 410.
Old October 20, 2020, 03:43 PM   #29
FITASC

Your club allows shot bigger than 7.5? that's unusual
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 20, 2020, 03:53 PM   #30
Double K

I have my own range.
Old October 24, 2020, 06:38 AM   #31
darkgael

Range

How neat is that. Gotta be fun.
Old October 25, 2020, 11:00 PM   #32
bamaranger

.410 and shot size

My Dad and I did quite a bit of rabbit hunting w/ beagles and .410s. My observations on the .410 from those days is that most folks that hunt it use shot size that is too large. The small payloads in the .410 yield very thin patterns with shot any larger than #6, yet one frequently finds (or used to) #5 and #4 for sale in the 3" shell, and of course, folks buy and hunt them.

Dad and I deemed the 3"-#7-1/2 load best and that is all we shot. Guns were full choke of course, Win 37's, a High Standard pump, clunker Mossberg and Savage bolts, and Dad's last .410, a Springfield 67.
Old October 26, 2020, 03:48 PM   #33
littlebikerider

If I could extend this conversation a bit, for those of you who love your .410s and are successful with them...what choke are you using?

I ask because I bought a SxS .410 late last year, and in the three times I have had it squirrel hunting I haven't come home with anything. Using Winchester 3" 3/4oz 6 shot, if I recall correctly, with improved modified and full chokes. I didn't think I was that bad with a shotgun, but I might be.

To add to this, last week I went out with a 20 gauge imp. cyclinder with 7/8 oz 6 shot and was very successful.

Did I just have my .410 choked down too much, or should I just stick with my 20 and work on shooting fundamentals?
Old October 27, 2020, 06:03 AM   #34
darkgael

Chokes

I have four .410s....a pump, a SXS, an O/U and the bottom barrel on an M6 survival gun. All but the M6 are FC. M6 is CYL.
Old October 27, 2020, 09:07 AM   #35
Grant 14

Maybe I should start another thread, but I will first add to my original REAL WORLD question. Since the only hulls that I could buy are Fiochi and the only primers that I could find are Federal 209s, which are 001" smaller diameter , will it be a problem with primers backing out? I realize that I will have to reduce the powder charge with the federals, but gas leakage has me concerned. Is that small of a difference a real issue? Thanks, Grant.
Old October 27, 2020, 10:14 AM   #36
Double K

Grant

If you pay for the shipping I'll send one of those small post office boxes full of 3" winchester hulls, pm me and we'll exchange addresses.
Old October 27, 2020, 10:33 AM   #37
FITASC

Quote:
Maybe I should start another thread, but I will first add to my original REAL WORLD question. Since the only hulls that I could buy are Fiochi and the only primers that I could find are Federal 209s, which are 001" smaller diameter , will it be a problem with primers backing out? I realize that I will have to reduce the powder charge with the federals, but gas leakage has me concerned. Is that small of a difference a real issue? Thanks, Grant.
Where were your Fiocchis made? They did operate a plant here for a while
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 27, 2020, 11:39 AM   #38
Grant 14

Double K, PM sent. Thank You very much for the offer. I will torture myself reloading 410s and have fun doing it. Thanks, Grant.
Old October 27, 2020, 07:27 PM   #39
Grant 14

I really dont know where the Fiochis were made. I had assumed Europe, but I didnt know they had a US plant. I will have to go see if there are any markings on the bag they came in. Would that make any difference in the primer size, and is .001 even enough to worry about? I dont recall where I saw it, but I remember an add for a primer pocket re-conditioner that I think said fixed loose primer pockets. Any body out there familiar with the tool , or am I confused about it? Grant.
Old October 27, 2020, 07:52 PM   #40
Grant 14

I just answered my own question. I was looking at the Ballistic Products site and saw the "primer pocket re-conditioner". Just ordered it. Now I dont have to worry about the Federal primers backing out. What a simple solution. Grant.
Old November 1, 2020, 08:29 PM   #41
Grant 14

Double K, thank you very much. Now I know what wads to order and maybe #7 1/2 shot if I can find some without high shipping costs. I may just start with the #5 shot that I have. This should be fun. Thanks again. Grant.
Old November 1, 2020, 11:51 PM   #42
Double K

No worries, good luck and keep us posted on your progress!