The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2020, 03:26 PM   #1
hal9000

Sling upgrade options

Does anyone have a recommendation for an "improved" sling for hunters. Im thinking about something similar to a single point, but designed for non-tactical gear. I do a lot of walking with a pack when I hunt and traditional over the shoulder slings are just not that great when you already have a pack on.

Is there anything better out there?

Many thanks and happy hunting everyone.
Old October 28, 2020, 04:16 PM   #2
jmr40

I almost always carry a pack too. I've never had an issue with a conventional sling. This is what I use, and highly recommend.

https://www.montanagunslings.com/

Not cheap, but hand made in Montana and the best design I've come across. They make a 1"and 1 1/4" version. I bought the 1 1/4" sling 1st. A few years later a 1". Unless the rifle is really heavy I prefer the 1" version.

Winston Churchill
Old October 28, 2020, 06:19 PM   #3
big al hunter

I have been using a pack of one sort or another for many years. I have found that I prefer a sling with stretch and a sticky surface to keep it on my pack strap. Neoprene on the sling helps. I also just started using an Eberlestock pack with a rifle scabbard. When I'm just making mileage to my truck the gun becomes part of my pack. And I can remove the rifle while still wearing the pack on my back. They have many models with this option. I chose an external frame with modular bags and scabbard. I can make the pack into a day pack with a meat packing shelf. Or I can add a large bag for a week long back country hunt. The shoulder straps are adjustable too. Fits almost anybody
Old October 28, 2020, 06:26 PM   #4
big al hunter

Forgot to add that you can buy just the scabbard and put it on your pack. It has MOLLE webbing system on it.
Old October 28, 2020, 08:55 PM   #5
sako2

Check these out. I use them and like them a lot.http://www.sloganoutdoors.com/products.html
Old October 29, 2020, 07:58 AM   #6
taylorce1

Frakenstud Sling Keeper made for backpacks and will keep your rifle on your shoulder with any sling. Also a shameless promotion for my buddy who makes them. Works best with rifles that'll weigh 8 lbs or less.

Kiafaru Gun Bearer works well with a rifle of any weight. I only like using it with a speed sling or other sling that is easily and quickly adjustable, as you'll want to take out as much slack as possible when carrying in the gun bearer.

Both systems keep your hands free to use trecking poles, optics, etc.. as well as keeping your rifle readily accessible.
Old October 29, 2020, 11:02 AM   #7
hal9000

Hey thanks for the ideas guys.

My packs are old enough not to have the rifle scabbard. That's a great option for trekking or recovery but I'm slow enough on the draw even with a traditional sling that I don't think I'd use it while I'm actively hunting.

That gunbearer looks intriguing. I'd prefer something behind the shoulder but that or something like it might do the trick. I've actually made DIY versions of the Frankenstud (not knowing theyre available for sale) but never liked the way it worked out. I like the idea of using the hip belt to carry the weight of the rifle. Solves another problem with having extra weight over one shoulder for a whole day!
Old October 29, 2020, 08:09 PM   #8
Nathan

I find carrying like this works well with a pack on my back...

On my hunting rifle, I use a:
Specopsgear 2pt
Old November 1, 2020, 12:30 AM   #9
hal9000

Ive thought about that a few times. Its probably a good option but I get pretty uncomfortable carrying my rifle muzzle down in the steep rocky territory I usually end up in. I have a friend who regularly carries muzzle down and he ended up recrowning his hunting rifle after banging it on a rock a couple years back. Hes about 6" taller than I am too.

Still, I keep coming back to the idea....
Old November 1, 2020, 09:58 AM   #10
Nathan

Well, I’m very observant about where my muzzle is....I keep it taped to prevent water or dirt intrusion.

In a rough section, I would just grab the barrel and pull it around causing the barrel to point up.