The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 4, 2018, 11:28 AM   #1
cje1980

Hilarious armslist

I’ve had a few wacky armslist experiences and oddball trade offers but I think this one takes the cake. I recently posted separate ads for a Sig P365 and a Beretta M9A1. So this guy offers me his “custom” Glock 34 as a trade for both of them. All it has is an upgraded trigger and a tin coated threaded barrel. These guys on armslist trying to push their modded Glocks for $1000 plus are ridiculous. I told him that a new Beretta M9A1 alone is worth more than a Glock 34 and mods don’t really add much resale value to a gun. I told him at the end of the day it’s still just a Glock. Not a Wilson Combat 1911. The folks that add up what they spent on a gun and all their mods and think that’s what the gun is worth crack me up. On the contrary. I tend to avoid modded guns. Just thought I would pass this along.
Old June 4, 2018, 12:31 PM   #2
TXAZ

Yep.
Isn't it amazing what people think a modification does to their gun value?
If it was all that great, it would be standard or an option from most gun manufacturers.

(If the guy is still interested, tell him I have a 1958 Ruger .22 worth more than $1Million I'll trade for his glock, as it's the only such model in the world that has been customized by a 65' Chevy's left rear wheel.)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 4, 2018, 09:38 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
cje1980 ….All it has is an upgraded trigger and a tin coated threaded barrel.
Depending on what that upgraded trigger is it could easily exceed $250.

I would love to know who makes a "tin coated" threaded barrel for a Glock.

Quote:
told him that a new Beretta M9A1 alone is worth more than a Glock 34
Not necessarily.
Dealer cost is actually higher on many models of the Glock 34 vs the Beretta M9A1.

Quote:
and mods don’t really add much resale value to a gun.
True.

Quote:
I told him at the end of the day it’s still just a Glock.
And yours is just a Beretta 92.

If you don't like the silly trade offers just mention that in your listings.....No trades considered, cash only.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 4, 2018, 09:55 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

[QUOTE/]

I would love to know who makes a "tin coated" threaded barrel for a Glock...

...If you don't like the silly trade offers just mention that in your listings.....No trades considered, cash only.[/QUOTE]
TiN. Titanium nitride.

I always say I don't want trade offers, especially pump shotguns. I always get trade offers, especially pump shotguns.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old June 4, 2018, 11:26 PM   #5
Sharkbite

As mentioned, the trigger (depending on what exactly it is) could be a $200 upgrade and the barrel is at least that. So, he has put ~$400 worth of extras into the gun.

Not saying its worth both of yours, just saying those extras are expensive mods
Old June 5, 2018, 12:28 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Isn't it amazing what people think a modification does to their gun value?
If it was all that great, it would be standard or an option from most gun manufacturers.
Perhaps you should present that point to manufacturers, with aftermarket triggers, quality scope bases, quality scope rings, and extra magazines at the fore-front.

Then again, I can save you some time: They don't care.
They make and sell just enough to keep the average idiot happy. If someone wants a better trigger, they can get it elsewhere. If they want more magazines, the company will gladly offer them with a 300% markup. If they want better scope bases and rings, hit the catalogs/internet. If a plastic stock isn't good enough, Boyd's will have something.

And, some modifications and accessories are worth far more than your simple statement implies.
A few years ago, I started converting a ratty Marlin 336 .30-30 to .444 Marlin, before turning the project over to my brother (I had another, better 336-to-444 I was working on). He finished it, with a beer can shim to clock the barrel, mis-matched hardware, and custom-shaped, spray-painted stocks sourced from two different models. Total cost was under $300. Since the rifle made its way back to me last year, I've had three offers of over $600. Why? Because the work to make it a ready-to-go beater is already done, and it's still cheaper than a "proper" JM 444.

About five months ago, a friend in South Carolina sold a Hamilton Bowen customized Ruger Redhawk for $750 over what he had into it. Why? Because some people want it NOW, instead of shipping the revolver to Bowen and waiting eight to twenty months before they see it again (if HB will even take the work).
Old June 5, 2018, 05:58 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

There is a big difference between a drop in part and a known gunsmith.
Was that $300 including the cost of rifle before modified?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old June 5, 2018, 08:38 AM   #8
sigshepardo

I feel your pain.

My use of armslist is surely putting many gray hairs on my head. Sometimes it can be discouraging.
Old June 5, 2018, 01:08 PM   #9
cje1980

Dogtown, your post is one big contradiction. Again, I don’t care how much somebody spent on mods. You don’t get 100% of the money back spent on mods. Bring in a $600 with $400 worth of mods into any gun shop and you’ll be lucky to get $500 for it. Again we aren’t talking a system of mods from a well known gunsmith like Wilson Combat or Taran Tactical.

My Beretta M9A1 is absolutely worth more than a Glock 34. I just checked Gunwatcher and the lowest price for an M9A1 is $660. Glock 34s can be had all day every day for under $600. I know that my gun is “just a Beretta” but I’m not the #%^hole asking $1000 for my gun. I’m asking for $500 which I think is very reasonable.

Your post is one big incoherent rambling mess. You try to justify the value of the guys Glock yet at the same time agree with me that mods don’t add value. You don’t buy a gun for $600 and then add $400-500 of mods and then all of a sudden believe it’s a $1000 gun. It just doesn’t work that way. I can see adding a small premium but not 100% ROI on mods. That’s absurd. If you buy a gun and invest a ton of money into it you better be happy with it because you are never going to come close to getting your money back.
Old June 5, 2018, 01:40 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
There is a big difference between a drop in part and a known gunsmith.
Was that $300 including the cost of rifle before modified?
Yep.
Rifle cost (+) parts cost (+) consumables cost (-) parts sold.
It was a ratty, old beater with function issues, and came to me cheap. Converting it from .30-30 to .444 Marlin allowed the use of most of the old action parts, with modifications to tune and re-time the action. A barrel, magazine tube, and some miscellaneous small parts did have to be purchased, but they were partially offset by selling the barrel, fore-stock, and sights.
Old June 5, 2018, 01:55 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cje1980
Dogtown, your post is one big contradiction.
How?

You write:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cje1980
My Beretta M9A1 is absolutely worth more than a Glock 34. I just checked Gunwatcher and the lowest price for an M9A1 is $660. Glock 34s can be had all day every day for under $600.
But he actually wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
Dealer cost is actually higher on many models of the Glock 34 vs the Beretta M9A1.
I interpret this as saying that certain models of G34 have a higher dealer cost than a new M9A1. Not all of them! MANY of them.

Can you prove that his assertion is incorrect?

Last edited by carguychris; June 5, 2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: accidentally deleted...
Old June 6, 2018, 03:42 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Quote:
cje1980 Dogtown, your post is one big contradiction.
Please point out the contradiction.

Quote:
Again, I don’t care how much somebody spent on mods.
But some people DO CARE.

Quote:
You don’t get 100% of the money back spent on mods. Bring in a $600 with $400 worth of mods into any gun shop and you’ll be lucky to get $500 for it.
Are you a gun dealer? If not then why do you think that matters one stinking bit?

I am a gun dealer. If someone came in with their self modded Glock I would likely decline any offer unless I know I could flip that gun for a profit.

If the only mod is a Zev trigger or other high end custom slide.....heck yeah I'm going to offer the least amount of $$$$ for that gun. Why the heck do you think a gun dealer would pay retail value for a used firearm? That's the quickest way to go out of business fast.

Quote:
Again we aren’t talking a system of mods from a well known gunsmith like Wilson Combat or Taran Tactical.
We aren't talking about it because you didn't mention who did the mods.

Quote:
My Beretta M9A1 is absolutely worth more than a Glock 34.
To you.

Quote:
I just checked Gunwatcher and the lowest price for an M9A1 is $660. Glock 34s can be had all day every day for under $600.
Well sure......for the Gen 3. But I'm sure you are aware that the Gen4 and Gen 5 and the MOS models run significantly more.

Quote:
I know that my gun is “just a Beretta” but I’m not the #%^hole asking $1000 for my gun. I’m asking for $500 which I think is very reasonable.
Why call him names when you can just decline his offer? I'm sure someone thinks $500 for a Beretta 92 is crazy.

Quote:
Your post is one big incoherent rambling mess. You try to justify the value of the guys Glock yet at the same time agree with me that mods don’t add value.
I didn't try to justify the value of his Glock.....I haven't seen it. I just pointed out that there are a lot of drop in parts that BY THEMSELVES can be worth several hundred dollars. THOSE mods DO ADD VALUE.

Bubba with a soldering iron stippling jobs? Not so much.

Quote:
You don’t buy a gun for $600 and then add $400-500 of mods and then all of a sudden believe it’s a $1000 gun.
Funny, but Wilson Combat and others do just that. Heck, some guys add $100 worth of mods to a $450 Glock and ask a $1000 because.....their name.

Quote:
It just doesn’t work that way. I can see adding a small premium but not 100% ROI on mods. That’s absurd. If you buy a gun and invest a ton of money into it you better be happy with it because you are never going to come close to getting your money back.
You never stopped to think that what he's asking is HIS starting point in negotiations?
You never thought to counter his offer did ya?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old June 6, 2018, 04:43 PM   #13
laytonj1

Speaking of Wilson's and Glocks, true story: About 4 years ago a coworker listed a Glock 19 with a streamlight, lone wolf barrel, couple of 32 rd mags, apex trigger and a cheap optic for $1000 on Armslist. Next day a guy emails him asking if he would consider an older 1911 with scratches, missing grips and buggered grip screw bushings as an equal trade. Coworker asked for a picture. It was a Wilson Combat "Protector" from around 2001. Current ones retail for close to $4K. Checked the serial number thru a friends wife who worked at the sheriffs office, not stolen. So, he met and made the trade. Since my coworker wasn't into 1911's and wanted the cash, I gave him $1100 for it. All three of us walked away happy. Well, for me, real happy.
Can get some crazy deals on Armslist.

Jim
Old June 6, 2018, 06:53 PM   #14
Don Dayacetah

My opinion of glocks aside, I will say this. I save the original manufacturer's parts for any
part I swap out, in a mod, and do the mods for my shooting enjoyment. Never met a buyer who was impressed by mods, or the cost of some part I installed on a gun.
Old June 6, 2018, 07:02 PM   #15
CLC

Yeah but you gotta be careful on them deals. I found a m24 kit listed for 2k. Figured it was a scam and wasnt disappointed. Did buy a couple real nice Finn mosin nagants for $500 a couple years ago. And traded a Hakim for a colt 1917. The trick is to check often, strike while the iron is hot and wade through the BS.
Old June 9, 2018, 08:07 PM   #16
fastlane

All I see on armlist are $550.00 used Glocks, SCCY for $250.00. Armlist for me is only good for a laughs.
Old June 10, 2018, 03:06 PM   #17
dogtown tom

Quote:
fastlane …...Armlist for me is only good for a laughs.
This.
Too many scam listings and scam buyers.

On 5/30 I get a phone call asking about a gun I had listed on Armslist. I don't buy or sell on Armslist many reasons.

The caller had bought and sent a Paypal payment for this listing:
https://www.armslist.com/posts/83721...l-postal-meter Note the "texas" in the URL.

Now that same listing says the gun is in Florida:
https://www.armslist.com/posts/83721...-postal-meter#

Last edited by dogtown tom; June 10, 2018 at 03:13 PM.