The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 30, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
gbantha

Live round stuck over the top of the bolt on AR-15

I have a live round stuck between the top of the bolt and the upper. How can I safely remove it. It is jammed really tight and charging handle will not budge. I can't remove the upper from the lower because the gas tube is sticking out too far. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old July 1, 2012, 12:42 AM   #2
10-96

I'm really trying to visualize what you got going on here.

If the round came out of a magazine and somehow wedged it's tip beneath the gas tube or something, do this: Move your collapseable stock all the way to it's shortest position (if you have that type of stock). Grab the charging handle with right hand and pull down. Grasp handguards with left hand. Keep muzzle pointed straight up and away from face. Slam rifle butt on hard surface such as ground or hard floor. Do this til your worrisome bits and parts become disloged. It sounds abusive and brutal, but it's no worse than what goes on in firing anyhow. Nothing in there should whack the primer hard enough to set it off.

What were you doing when this ordeal began? Were you slowly riding the bolt forward?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 2, 2012, 12:35 PM   #3
dcobler

10-96 already covered what I know to do. A few range instructors I have shot with in the Marine Corps had experienced this before and they said that it mostly happens with carbine length rifles. If you havent removed the round yet, try getting a picture of it and post it.
Old July 2, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Striker1

If you can, use a tool to press back on the face of the bolt holding it to the rear while pushing the charging handle forward, that may release the round...or if you are not experienced, I would take it to a gunsmith and get them to show you how to do it.

Safety is always the first concern.
Old July 2, 2012, 08:27 PM   #5
gbantha

picture

Here is what it looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1423.JPG (105.9 KB, 609 views)
Old July 2, 2012, 08:58 PM   #6
NESHOOTER

Do what 10-96 said to do not much fear of firing pin striking the round.
Old July 2, 2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Striker1

Do you think pulling back on the charging handle will relieve pressure on the round or maintain it?
Old July 2, 2012, 10:11 PM   #8
10-96

I think the CH ought to be pulled. If the CH is pulled, it will nudge the ctg at the 6 o'clock area as seen in the photo and urge it upwards. Also, after he strikes the rifle on the ground, if the CH is pulled, it will hold the bolt to the rear and not re-jam the ctg if it should not fall free once the bolt/bcg moves rearward over the ctg base and begins it's forward movement. And, if the ctg falls free, he'll want the bolt/bcg held to the rear and locked so the ctg can be totally removed and the chamber/receiver area can be inspected.

Old July 3, 2012, 05:01 AM   #9
impalacustom

This is exactly what the Leatherman MUT was made for. You need something to pull the bolt back, you won't be able to pull the charging handle back and release the cartridge as the cartridge is jamming the charge handle against the bolt carrier, even if he can the buffer spring is keeping pressure on the bolt carrier. The cartridge is stuck between the charge handle and bolt. Use a flat nosed screwdriver and push the bolt back and the cartridge will fall out the mag well.

Last edited by impalacustom; July 3, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old July 3, 2012, 02:19 PM   #10
10-96

Quote:
You need something to pull the bolt back, you won't be able to pull the charging handle back and release the cartridge as the cartridge is jamming the charge handle against the bolt carrier,
Thus, this is where firmly striking the butt of the rifle on the ground/floor comes into play.

Sorry, but I do disagree. Sticking a hardened object (screwdriver) in there amongst aluminum and the extractor and the locking lugs does not sound like a winning proposition. Inertia will take care of the problem without marring, chipping, or breaking anything.

Old July 3, 2012, 04:37 PM   #11
impalacustom

I don't know about your bolt, but mine is way harder steel than any screwdriver. The problem with using inertia to remove the jam is that gravity isn't working on the cartridge to pull it down out of the way of the bolt. If you are more comfortable use the screwdriver on the bcg, you aren't prying on anything, you are just using it to pull the bolt out of the way.