The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 19, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1
USP45usp

Stupid Question

I've lived in many states, and some of them define a "machine gun" as firing more than 3 shots with a single triger pull. Yet the ATFE (government) defines it as more than one shot per pull.

With states (Oregon is defined as more than one so it goes with ATFE's def. ) FINALLY standing up to the feds on issues (like our death with dignity and the medical pot laws we have here (hey, didn't say I agreed with them, just like the idea of the states standing up to the feds)), if the state wouldn't bust you for having, would you buy?

(sorry, I know that the paragraph above really hurts to read).

The reason that I ask is that there is a small grass roots starting up in Oregon that wants to take the 9th's decision on MG's to heart and to change the legislature here to remove the wording of a MG and also to remove the "catch all" of "and all federal laws".

We figure that it's like the auto knife laws. Federal law states that you cannot carry/send an auto across state lines and then for a civilian (the People) to own. Yet, we here in Oregon can buy/own/carry auto knives because they are made in Oregon (Benchmade). So why can't the People buy/own MG's that are made in the same state?

I know that the government says they can't (the People) because the steel has to cross state lines... well, why does that apply to MG's but not to auto knives?

Wayne

*we know that in Oregon it will never happen unless things change but it's a start.
Old November 19, 2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Nope...being a test case for a felony is no fun.

One reason people in many states cannot make/own/possess homegrown machineguns is because in states that do not have a seperate registration, laws generally are written that only machineguns (and most NFA items) legally registered under federal laws are legal in the state.

NRA Life Member
Old November 20, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3
USP45usp

HK, true.

BUT, states are already going against the feds on many issues, with Oregon leading on some (death with dignity and medical pot) and the 9th has issued a ruling saying that MG's made in the state are legal and that hasn't been overturned.

Granted, I'm too chicken to be the first test case but it's time to at least get on the "people who don't believe in the law with MG's" list, one of many that I'm sure that I'm on.

Wayne
Old November 20, 2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Legion2600

I believe there is a case in Montana where they have told the Feds to go F themselves with respect to guns. Not NFA in particular, but just guns. Their argument being that anything solely made within Montana and stays in montana does not effect the Commerce Clause therefore Feds have no authority. I hope more states do this.

Problem is SOMEBODY has to be the test case.
Old November 20, 2005, 05:40 PM   #5
Cortland

Most machine gun states have laws which make all machine guns illegal, and then carve out an exception for those possessed in accordance with federal law. There are some exceptions, among others: Virginia's Uniform Machine Gun Act says nothing about federal law and I believe New Hampshire has no state machine gun laws at all.

So if you want to build a machine gun in your basement in the complete and utter absence of interstate commerce and you live in one of these states -- go for it. You WILL be a test case and you probably won't win, so just be prepared to lose everything you own and spend 10 years in prison.

There's the way things ought to be and then there's the way things are.
Old November 22, 2005, 10:51 PM   #6
shaggy

Whether the particular gun or parts have traveled interstate or just intrastate is no longer an issue; Congress still has power to regulate guns and/or machineguns via the Commerce Clause.

Anyone remember US v. Stewart?
Old November 22, 2005, 11:48 PM   #7
USP45usp

Shaggy,

Quote:
Whether the particular gun or parts have traveled interstate or just intrastate is no longer an issue; Congress still has power to regulate guns and/or machineguns via the Commerce Clause.
Then why doesn't this apply to auto knives?

As for the test case, I'm too damn chicken to do so. The 9th has given me the "permission" that I need and the state of Oregon really doesn't have the money, or the care (unless I use it in a local/state crime) to put me into jail. Just the feds, as they have said that they will attack the state with the death with dignity and the medical pot laws (and the state/people have already said that they will not bow down to them, same with most sheriffs departments).

I talk and talk but for the time being, I won't do anything. That's for men greater than I, and I will only follow.

Wayne
Old November 23, 2005, 12:47 AM   #8
shaggy

Funny you should mention medical pot. US v. Stewart is the 9th Circuit case you mentioned earlier. Raich v. Gonzales was a marijuana case in CA that killed any hope for getting around the Commerce clause in US v. Stewart. It was essentially the case the put the nail in Stewart's coffin.

Here's a quickie version of Raich...

http://www.oyez.org/oyez/resource/case/1775/

Following the decision in Raich, Stewart was remanded back to the 9th for reconsideration in light of Raich.

As for auto knives, the feds could control auto knives if Congress wanted.
Old December 4, 2005, 02:16 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...auto knives..." A what? Is that the same as a switch blade?
Old December 4, 2005, 07:32 PM   #10
shaggy

Yup - automatic knives = switchblades.
Old December 18, 2005, 11:55 PM   #11
backfromthefuture

I don't know what the big deal is about machine guns.
I got a stepdad and stepuncle who were Green Berets
and 2 cousins who were Marine Force Recon, i bet they
could do more damage with a 9mm pistol then I could
do with a fully automatic M-16, M-4, MP-5 or whatever.

BFF