The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 18, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
9mm

Finishing my AR-pistol/ swap bolt carriers?

I was able to find a lmt upper incomplete tonight, the only thing I need now is my rear sight or a deteacth handle, and a bolt carrier lol....

So my question is, can I use my bolt carrier from my colt ar in my ar pistol? will it work? just for the time being, so I can find a real lmt bolt carrier when they get back in stock.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Mobuck

It depends on the wear on your BCG and how the chamber is set in your 2nd upper. Personally, I don't fly by the BCG swapping route. On the other hand, I've bought several uppers w/o BCG and added new name brand BCG bought from other sources w/o any problems. All function and headspace is within tolerances. This is slightly different than what you're considering so I can't say it's good or bad.
Old December 19, 2012, 02:17 AM   #3
9mm

My BGC is about 200 rounds in on my Colt AR, and I just need to test 100 rounds through the pistol from the BGC of the Colt. Shouldn't be any damage?.. Not like I am running 1000's of rounds.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Mobuck

If the bolt closes on a round and fires it w/o resulting in a protruding primer, you're probably OK. A low round count bolt(200) should be good as new.