The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

Another question re 45 Colt 240 gr Sierra JHP

This is an oddball weight bullet for 45 Colt. Not in my other reloading manuals. Awhile back someone was kind enough to provide me with starting and max loads for Unique powder from the Sierra manual (which I don't own). Anyway, I was wondering if that same manual also has starting and max loads for the same bullet for either 231 or Tite Group powders?
Old June 1, 2009, 02:45 PM   #2
steamroller

.45 Colt 240gr JHP

I have loaded these using data in the Hodgdon web site cartridge loads under pistol and .45 Colt for Ruger etc. They list 8.0gr Titegroup as a starting load and 10.0 gr Titegroup as a max load. I used 9.3 gr TG and got pretty decent results at 50 feet with a 6 shot group of 2 - 2.5 inches. I have also loaded some Speer 225gr JHP with 9.3 gr TG and plan to try them in my Puma Lever action .45LC 20 in barrel to see how they perform.

I seem to have a problem remembering stuff at my age. I told my wife the memory was the second thing to go, and she asked 'What was the first thing?' I told her, I forgot.
Old June 1, 2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

Thanks steamroller. I see that data in the Hodgdon site now. However, I don't have a Ruger, only a Taurus Gaucho. Even the 8.0 gr load of Tite Group is 19,000 psi, which is a bit higher than standard pressure for 45 Colt, so I'm reluctant to try it. I'd prefer to see the actual load tested before I try it. I'm not comfortable with winging it since I'm fairly new to the reloading sciences.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
dwwhite

Doodlebugger,

The 5th edition Sierra manual does not list the 240 Sierra JHP with either 231 or Titegroup in the Colt SAA and replica category.

It does however, provide loads for Bullseye, which is right next to Titegroup in the burn rate chart provided in the current Hodgdon manual.

It also offers load data for Unique, which you have, Unique is only slightly slower than your 231.

This load data will come close to crossing over, but I would run it past someone more knowledgeable than myself before trying it. For that reason, I don't think I'll be the one to post those numbers.

Something else you could probably try with little or no risk is using the loads specified for 250 grain jacketed bullets. You're only talking about a 3-4% weight difference. Of course, you'll want to back those loads down the standard 10% to start, but I wouldn't be concerned about using 250grn data for a 240grn bullet. (Of course, you'll need to use jacketed data for both, don't cross cast and jacketed loads)
Old June 1, 2009, 07:14 PM   #5
longranger

My ancient Sierra manual does not list either of those powders for the .45 Colt with that bullet.
Old June 3, 2009, 12:37 PM   #6
wachtelhund1

Deleted and moved.

Last edited by wachtelhund1; June 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM.