The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 4, 2005, 09:31 PM   #26
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
Now, have any of the persons who responded ever actually fired on anyone in self defense?
Only as a Soldier, and I'm not sure "self defense" is the right term.

Quote:
Drawn a gun in self defense? Carried a gun for serious defensive purposes, not just because it's "cool"? Been a law enforcement officer? Been in a situation where firing in self defense was a real possibility, even though it was not done?
Yes to all of the above.

Not everyone here has "never been in any real danger". Int the end people have to make decisions for themselves, and sometimes advice from people who have been there can be helpful.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old November 5, 2005, 01:59 PM   #27
roberts_usmc

I didn't read all the replies, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

One guy said to challenge the men before they are close.
That's the way to go!

Let's say the three continue to approach and they refuse to leave, one pulls weapon.

I would of course drop the weapon holder, begin to put distance between the remaining two and myself, and kill the other two (weapon or not) -- first taking the one that is closer, or, if both at the same distance, the bigger of the two.

What are they gonna do? Prosecute me for murder or manslaughter?
Probably - but what the hell.... Those three would never mess with me again, and I would have efectively "defused" the treat.
M59/66 Yugoslavian SKS, 1947 M44 Mosin Nagant, 1939 Schmidt-Rubin K31, 1945 T99 Arisaka, 1943 "ar" RC K98, VZ52 Rifle, 1942 M38 Swedish Mauser, 1942 Tikka Finn M91 Mosin Nagant on 1898 receiver, Mossberg 144LSB .22 Rifle, Marlin Model 80 .22 rifle, Ruger P94 9mm

Guns don't kill people...
I kill people.
-Marine bumper sticker

I buy new guns like French people riot:
To often, and for no good damn reason
Old November 5, 2005, 02:01 PM   #28
roberts_usmc

I didn't read all the replies, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

One guy said to challenge the men before they are close.
That's the way to go!

Let's say the three continue to approach and they refuse to leave, one pulls weapon.

I would of course drop the weapon holder, begin to put distance between the remaining two and myself, and kill the other two (weapon or not) -- first taking the one that is closer, or, if both at the same distance, the bigger of the two.

What are they gonna do? Prosecute me for murder or manslaughter?
Probably - but what the hell.... Those three would never mess with me again, and I would have efectively "defused" the treat. I would then kick weapons away and leave the scene with my own weapon. You never know if an entire gang is about to come down on you.
M59/66 Yugoslavian SKS, 1947 M44 Mosin Nagant, 1939 Schmidt-Rubin K31, 1945 T99 Arisaka, 1943 "ar" RC K98, VZ52 Rifle, 1942 M38 Swedish Mauser, 1942 Tikka Finn M91 Mosin Nagant on 1898 receiver, Mossberg 144LSB .22 Rifle, Marlin Model 80 .22 rifle, Ruger P94 9mm

Guns don't kill people...
I kill people.
-Marine bumper sticker

I buy new guns like French people riot:
To often, and for no good damn reason
Old November 5, 2005, 02:40 PM   #29
OTP

Empty the mag and reload, I would rather face lock up than to be dead or maimed by these guys, without giving it my best shot. I firmly believe in "Judged by 12 is better than carried by 6"

I do graveyard shift in some of the worst areas, doing what will get you killed in the day time, Graffiti Removal.
Yes I carry, yes I have full capacity mags, yes I have 5 of them and yes I would drop them all, unless they were running away.
Old November 5, 2005, 02:55 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

With respect to those who served in the armed forces, I don't think the originator of this thread had that in mind.

I was also challenged [e-mail] on my use of "serious" in regard to weapons carry, by a fellow who said he carried for fun and because he wanted to and I could go somewhere hot. Sorry, but "for fun" is not serious. Serious is when your testimony has sent the "capo di capi" to prison, or you pi**ed off the local MS13 guys. Serious is when you check your car every morning for bombs, and take different routes to work. Serious is when you are paranoid because they really are out to get you!

In several years as a deputy sheriff, I never fired a shot except on the range, and only drew my gun one time. I support "shall issue" licensing, and will stick up for folks carrying guns, even "for fun" as long as they do no harm. But "shoot first" and "shoot anyone that moves" advice does no good for that cause. If a few CCW licensees take that kind of advice, the laws will be tightened and CCW will be a thing of the past.

Jim
Old November 5, 2005, 08:21 PM   #31
CraigJS

Anyone that comes at me with a weapon in hand, be it gun, knife or bat will be shot! This isn't a western, the BG doesn't get to shoot first.They aren't there to help, they are there to harm! As to the shooting anyone that moves, not unless I believe they are going for, or have a weapon..
CraigJS