The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2020, 09:13 AM   #26
recoil junky

After I put a dent in the middle of my primers, they won't go bang again. I think they are only designed to go bang once?

Anyways, seems like a waste of primers, time, money and effort.

YMMV

RJ
Old July 4, 2020, 01:52 PM   #27
higgite

Now why didn't we think of that?
Old July 4, 2020, 02:38 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

I think he means to test some that haven't been dented yet.

MG,

Get better.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 4, 2020, 09:31 PM   #29
wbbh

It would be interesting to take a set of primers and fluids to wet the rivers, then if they work after drying out. I am dubious about water and some other fluids "killing" a primer after it drys out. I've set off primers stored in a Texas Gulf coast garage for several years, then stored indoors for 15 plus years, none of them didn't go bang.
Old July 4, 2020, 10:07 PM   #30
GTOne

Good topic. I am of the mind that a primer is a hard thing to kill. I have seen them go off after soaking in a jar of motor oil.
Old July 5, 2020, 09:02 AM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

Right. Some seem to be pretty impervious while others die easily. The object of the exercise is to see if some reliable way to kill them is available. Other than setting them off, though, I'm not sure there is a single choice of solvent that will get them all. Federal, for example, with the heavy lacquer, might need to go into liquid paint stripper first to remove the sealant and then go into the water. The problem is, whatever will dissolve the sealant is likely to be flammable and have explosive vapors. Maybe the citrus-based stripper would work? Don't know.

Maybe the easy way out is to email all the makers and ask them what will render their primers inert. They must do something with their rejects, though it could involve heat and explosion.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 5, 2020, 11:20 AM   #32
Metal god

I like the citrus based cleaner idea , I have some goo gone so I’ll add that to the list .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 5, 2020, 12:20 PM   #33
recoil junky

I'm thinking just about any liquid will evaporate and the primer will go bang. A liquid that will completely permeate the priming compound carrying a substance that will chemically render the primer inert, like an "oil based" liquid?

Not sure why one needs to render primers inert, but if it blows your skirt up, get 'er done!!!!

Anyways, no offense meant.

RJ
Old July 7, 2020, 11:52 PM   #34
Metal god

OK the correct liquid wrench came in so I think I'm ready

I have 9 products I plan to test and 4 different primers I'll post up the list and pics when I get started . However there is one thing I actually never considered until recently . I'm in a very urban area and although I have very good relations with my neighbors . I'll be firing off 180 primers at each test interval . I really don't see how the cops don't come . Anyone have any ideas of a small sound proof-ish set up that I can just put the gun in and discharge them in ?

I have 5gal buckets , small trash cans etc but those alone may not be enough ???

EDIT
180 primers each time I may need to rethink this , that's a lot . Maybe I drop one of the primers and a couple products that would be 105 at each interval .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 8, 2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old July 8, 2020, 12:39 AM   #35
BJung

Sound Proof Box

Yeah. Make a sound proof box with foam in it to absorb the sound. Or, lock yourself in the bathroom (assuming you have not windows) and turn the fan on
Old July 8, 2020, 12:43 AM   #36
BJung

One more. Find a cardboard box and cover it with blankets and coats. Then reach into the box and pull the trigger.
Old July 8, 2020, 09:43 AM   #37
7.62 man

I pick up dropped ammo from the range to disassemble & there is almost nothing you can put primers in to totally kill the primers. I have had rounds that laid out & were so corroded I couldn't tell what they were & the primers are still hot. I have had .22LRs that were wet when I knocked the wet powder out of them & the primer ring still fired.

I put pulled primers in a metal can with a loose top & heat them until they all go off. It's like pop corn. LOL
Old July 8, 2020, 09:45 AM   #38
reddog81

Do an initial test of 12 hours to see what products last that long. Any solvent that disables the primer after 12 hours will be pointless to test at longer intervals.

A cardboard box with a towel in the bottom and a towel covering the opening of the box will muffle the sound pretty good. If the muzzle is shoved into the towel on the bottom it's about as loud as a snap. FWIW plan on throwing out the towel when done.
Old July 8, 2020, 12:33 PM   #39
FrankenMauser

California may complicate or invalidate this, but...

Grab 4 similar size, slashed used car tires from any local tire shop. Most stores are happy to let you have or borrow them. (Though maybe not in California.)

Strap them together concentrically and cap/cover one end with something flexible, sound absorbent, and fireproof (or soaked in water before testing).
Fill the bottom of the tires with more sound absorbing material, if you so desire. Fireproof foam, wet wood chips, etc.

What you have there is a legal muzzle report attenuating device. (Even if the end was open, the ATF considers them fixed emplacements and not attachable to a firearm. Perfectly legal suppressor / not a suppressor.)
They're quite effective for actual shooting. I imagine it would still work quite well for primer pops, especially if you cover one end (or both?) with a wet wool blanket.

An example employing a steel drum around the tires:
https://billstclair.com/weaponsman.c...html%3Fp=16920