The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 1, 2013, 04:21 AM   #26
Bill DeShivs

I didn't say condition 1 is not safe. I said condition 2 is safe, with proper training. It can be nearly as fast as condition 1, again-with proper training.
There is no need to pull the trigger with a loaded chamber unless you want to.
Some people choose to do things differently than you do. Because a concept is foreign to you does not make it wrong-just different.
Old December 1, 2013, 04:48 AM   #27
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
I didn't say condition 1 is not safe. I said condition 2 is safe, with proper training. It can be nearly as fast as condition 1, again-with proper training.
I agree that Condition Two can be safe with proper training and practice. But Condition One is safer simply due to the fact that there is never a need to pull the trigger with a loaded chamber. And Condition Two can be nearly as fast as Condition One. But Condition One is faster for almost everyone.

Quote:
There is no need to pull the trigger with a loaded chamber unless you want to.
Well, that goes without saying. But too many people seem convinced that they want to go to Condition Two, and that requires pulling the trigger with a loaded chamber.

Quote:
Some people choose to do things differently than you do. Because a concept is foreign to you does not make it wrong-just different.
It's not necessarily wrong, it's just worse in every way than Condition One: It's slower and less safe. In my experience, most people who prefer carrying a 1911 in Condition Two are under the false impression that Condition One is somehow unsafe. And they also don't seem to understand that the act of going to Condition Two requires pulling the trigger on a loaded chamber - something that will get many inexperienced people in trouble.

Condition Two is less safe than Condition One, it's slower than Condition One, and it requires more training and practice than Condition One. That might not make make Condition Two technically wrong, but it sure makes it a bad choice in my opinion.
Old December 9, 2013, 07:15 PM   #28
histed

Dawg 23

Dawg23 - point taken. In the process of getting a different (though I don't know if it's [U]better[I][U]) CCW pistol. I'm thinking Bersa CC9 or the old reliable .38 Special. At this point a SD course is not possible, but I've see several scheduled in my area this spring/summer. Looks like you're an instructor - any advice as to what to look for?
Old December 10, 2013, 12:18 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

histed,

May I suggest a holster that has a retention strap that goes in between the hammer and firing pin?

That way, even if the hammer should fall, the strap will prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin.

But also, does the Firestar have a firing pin block?

Deaf
Old December 10, 2013, 02:29 PM   #30
ClydeFrog

SFS....

If safety or carry conditions are an issue with you, consider the after market option: SFS, www.Cylinder-Slide.com .
The system allows the SAO pistol safety to be engaged with the hammer down on a loaded(live) round. When the safety(frame mounted, traditional) is released(moved), the hammer cocks back into the formal SAO mode. When you pull or squeeze the pistol trigger, the firearm discharges.

The SFS is made for 1911a1 type pistols & the P-35/Hi Power line(.40S&W/9x19mm).
It was sold by a few factory models like FNH but I think the limited interest & poor sales caused it to be discontinued as a regular item.

I do not own any P35s or 1911a1 series pistols at the moment. If I did, I'd consider the SFS add-on if I used open carry a lot or needed the pistol for duty uses.
I think www.Brownells.com may also carry the SFS system but it may be sold out/discontinued.

Clyde
Old December 10, 2013, 03:15 PM   #31
manta49

Why not get a handgun with a decocker . Then you can carry con 1 with hammer down and not be concerned with safely lowering the hammer.
Old December 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #32
Tinner666

Carried 1911 condition1 at all times. Same with a Colt Commander. My Glock is even better since I don't have to sweep a safety now. I think my thumb still sweeps though, since I have a few others in Condition1 that do need to have the safety swept.
Old December 10, 2013, 08:27 PM   #33
histed

Deaf, according to those more familiar with the Firestar, it does have a firing pin safety/block. I am looking at all options. The decocker idea has also crossed my mind more than once. In that case the pistol would be DA/SA, right? And am I correct that only external hammer fired pistols have decockers? The striker fired pistols may have an external safety, but it doesn't decock them? And thanks to all who replied - your experience and suggestions are much appreciated.
Old December 10, 2013, 08:45 PM   #34
Tinner666

Quote:
The decocker idea has also crossed my mind more than once. In that case the pistol would be DA/SA, right? And am I correct that only external hammer fired pistols have decockers? The striker fired pistols may have an external safety, but it doesn't decock them? And thanks to all who replied - your experience and suggestions are much appreciated.
You want experience? I moved from the cocked and locked SA's to DA/SA semi's. Loved it to death. It almost caused my death too.
They're great in practice shooting. Takes some getting used too. Long 5-6# pull, slight 2-3# pull. I thought I was ready for anything.

One day, I really needed that 6906 and since I didn't practice with hundreds of rounds going from DA/SA every day, I blew the second shot.
Luckily, I practiced enough I didn't need it.
There is a LOT to be said about a consistent trigger pull for each and every shot. Glocks and revolvers give me that. I still have some SA semi's too.

YMMV, so give my experience some consideration. Some people can handle the transition under stress well. Some can't. (Oh, I was 'ready' and set for the third shot if I had needed it. When nanoseconds count, it might not be enough.)
Old December 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #35
Deaf Smith

Quote:
And am I correct that only external hammer fired pistols have decockers?
Histed,

A few, like the old Sauer pre WW2 did have decockers and not external hammer but I know of none made today.

Quote:
The striker fired pistols may have an external safety, but it doesn't decock them?
Again, none that I know of that are made today.

Now since the Firestar has a firing pin lock, IF the hammer falls and the trigger has not been pulled it will not fire. Add to that a retention strap between the hammer and firing pin, say like thumb break holsters as shown below:

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=36

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

And it will be as safe as can be.

The only decocking handguns I know of have hammers.

Deaf
Old December 11, 2013, 04:47 PM   #36
histed

Tinner666 - My prayer and thanks. Can't be easy to share that kind of experience, but it is appreciated. I understand what you're saying.
Deaf - thanks again. I'm liking this idea more - and getting SD class. Tinner drove home the importance of "practice, practice, then practice a while."
Next question - hope it doesn't sound too stupid. No one makes a holster for the M43 - will the Colt Commander holster work? The Firestar looks to be a cut down 1911, so... Guess I should call Hume and ask them. Thanks again.
Old December 11, 2013, 05:15 PM   #37
MTT TL

Quote:
The only concept that's foreign to me is why anyone would carry a 1911 in Condition Two.
They like sudden, unexpected, random loud noises?
Old December 11, 2013, 07:56 PM   #38
histed

Or they prefer to NOT get shot by their own pistol that happens to have a faulty safety. Yeah, it happened to a friend - 1911 style - yes, he was trained to carry condition 1 - yes it was a faulty safety, not operator error. That answer your question? Still wonder why I'm cautious?
Old December 11, 2013, 08:11 PM   #39
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by histed
Or they prefer to NOT get shot by their own pistol that happens to have a faulty safety. Yeah, it happened to a friend - 1911 style - yes, he was trained to carry condition 1 - yes it was a faulty safety, not operator error. That answer your question? Still wonder why I'm cautious?
No, it was operator error. Even with a faulty safety, you still have to pull the trigger - and with a 1911 also depress the grip safety - in order to fire the gun. If your friend had a negligent discharge because his safety was faulty that means he wasn't handling the gun safely in the first place. You should never rely on a safety to make a gun safe, you should rely on your own safe gun handling skills to make a gun safe.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:04 PM   #40
Deaf Smith

histed,

Brigade Custom Holsters makes one for the M43 (but not a thumb break.)

http://www.brigadegunleather.com/index.html

Google 'Firestar M43 holster' for other companies.

Deaf