The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 1999, 10:41 PM   #1
olazul

Hi all,

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience. Ever since I was a kid that scene in the good, the bad, and the ugly where Clint is cleaning his revolver has fascinated me. You know the one- where the "ugly" is walking down the brothel hallway and clint has his revolver apart and puts it back together after hearing the footsteps and, well, the rest is history........

Anyone know what revolver this is? It certainly isn't a Colt SAA. It looks like an older back powder pistol but uses cartridges.

Thanks for the help,

Olazul

Old February 16, 1999, 01:08 AM   #2
Jim March

A lot of gunsmiths circa 1875 give or take a few retrofitted old percussion guns to centerfire cartridge. Given the lack of loading gates, setting 'em up for cylinder swaps was also common...these old Civil War era percussion guns were going cheap, a talented gunsmith could buy as many as three or more, set up the best as a centerfire shooter and convert all the cylinders to time properly on the one gun.

This was fairly common, I think?

Jim March
Old February 16, 1999, 01:19 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Good, Bad & the Ugly (actually, they were all bad men and not a single one of them was a very nice person) was suppose to take place during the Civil War (OK, War Between the States or War of Succession for our Southern membahs). Rimfire cartridges were just beginning to make their debut (witness the Spencer rifle) and the cap n' ball was the predominant arm during the war. I'd even speculate that there were probably more flintlocks used in the beginning of the war than rimfire weapons altogether. I think the producers exercised a bit of artistic license in making the movie.
Old February 16, 1999, 10:25 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Been a long time since I've had that video in the machine but as I recall it was an 1851 Colt (or copy). Olazul, do you recall if the crane area (in front of the cylinder) is rounded or has sharp corners? If sharp corners and octagonal barrel then it's more likely a '51 whereas rounded lines and barrel is more likely an 1860. Maybe I'll pull it out this weekend and watch it again. As stated above, not historically very accurate but nevertheless an entertaining one.
Clint uses 1851 conversions in quite a few of his westerns. He even used a Starr in Unforgiven . Way to go!!
Old February 16, 1999, 03:25 PM   #5
El Chimango Pete

Long time since ive seen the Good and Co. - Sergio Leone had no pretentions of 'historical accuracy' but the spaghettis werte in general well resarched - Now the Unforgiven was Clint Eastwoods own Malpaso production - I always thought that the double action he shoots (and misses before he takes care of the target with a shotgun - way to go! ) was a Colt Lightning (must be mistaken). It was great to see that the real "star" handgun was the Schoffield tho' - some shooting too! (amazing improvemnt from the first scene...)
Old February 16, 1999, 09:43 PM   #6
olazul

Thanks for the replys so far .

Fal308- I seem to recall that it was rounded but I'm not sure. Hmmmmmm, maybe I'll have to rent it again- just for research that is.

One more question- where can I get it? Are there any companies making them now?

Ya gotta love those spaghetti westerns!

Olazul

Old February 17, 1999, 11:07 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Olazul
If your question is where can you pick up a conversion, the answer is yes. many CAS gunsmiths have done conversions. Cimarron Arms has the Richards conversion. Go to www.cimarron-firearms.com for info on all of their product lineup. I believe some of the importers also have factory conversion handguns.
Old February 18, 1999, 10:23 AM   #8
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Watched The GB&U yesterday (the first half) and it was an 1851 Colt. Will watch the second half today after TFL. The Henry that Clint uses has a scope mounted offset on the side of the barrel too. Quite a different mounting.
Old February 18, 1999, 12:27 PM   #9
olazul

Awesome!

Thanks everyone- specially fal308. I haven't even started building my FAL yet(just ordered the reciever form DSA) and I've got another firearm I want to buy. Such dilemas, terrible huh?

Olazul