The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 11, 2020, 10:29 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Smith for savage bedding in Colorado?

Sorry about the stupid joke, I can just imagine a thread with this title in the old Craigslist personal classifieds, he he

Anyway I don't want to bed a Smith,
I'd like to find a gunsmith in CO for bedding my rifle.

I live in the Colorado front range near Denver, and I would like get a glass and pillar bedding job done on my Savage 12 VLP (varmint low profile) .308 rifle. Any recommendations?

Also, are there different kinds of bedding jobs done on bolt action rifles? If so, what are their advantages or disadvantages, is there one that is preferred?

As you can probably tell, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to rifles, any input and guidance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Pistoler0; September 11, 2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old September 12, 2020, 02:36 AM   #2
DnPRK

What are your expectations from a bedded rifle?

I ask because good smiths are not cheap.

Bedding is typically down on the list after a good barrel, trued action, good optics, good trigger and lots of ammo tailored to the rifle shot during practice.

Bedding can take 3-4 hours (over a week span) with inspection, disassembly, inletting, bedding, cleanup and reassembly. At $80-100 per hour plus materials, that is a nice chunk of change that can be spent on things with a better probability of improving group size.

Last edited by DnPRK; September 12, 2020 at 02:46 AM.
Old September 12, 2020, 07:16 AM   #3
olddav

Here is a good article on the subject.
https://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Performing a search on bedding a Savage rifle will give you info for a Savage rifle as they are a bit different.
Old September 12, 2020, 07:58 AM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
Bedding can take 3-4 hours (over a week span) with inspection, disassembly, inletting, bedding, cleanup and reassembly. At $80-100 per hour plus materials, that is a nice chunk of change that can be spent on things with a better probability of improving group size.
All of that is true--but the flip side is no matter how good the rest of the components are--a pressure point between the action and the stock will limit you from achieving the accuracy potential of the rifle.
Old September 12, 2020, 08:46 AM   #5
taylorce1

Give Pete Hubbard of Homeland Gunsmithing a call, I used him on a couple of small projects before he moved his business to Bennett CO. Who would want to be closer to their grandkids anyway? He did good work with a reasonable turn around.

If you're willing to drive to the West slope give Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan rifles a call. Then there is Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles a couple hours South East of Denver. I've used Kevin for several builds and he does excellent work.
Old September 12, 2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnPRK View Post
Bedding is typically down on the list after a good barrel, trued action, good optics, good trigger and lots of ammo tailored to the rifle shot during practice.
I disagree. The barrelled action has to whip and wiggle the same way for every shot fired. Proper bedding does that.

Then different loads can be tried to find the best accuracy