The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 2, 2020, 07:26 PM   #1
5pins

Hornady .25 ACP 35gr FTX Critical Defense in Clear Ballistics Gel.

Test Gun: FN Baby Browning
Barrel length: 2.11 inches.
Ammunition: Hornady .25 ACP 35gr FTX Critical Defense.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 767fps
Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

This should probably be called “friends don’t let friends carry a 25”. I was able to borrow an FN Baby Browning to test some .25 Auto. This gun is little and I mean little. I don’t see how you could make a pistol any smaller and still have any practicality at all. The size and almost non-existence sights make it very hard to shoot well.

I got a five-shot average velocity of 767fps with a high of 791fps and a low of 752fps.

Five shots offhand at five yards

The first round in the bare gel had a velocity of725fps and penetrated to 12.25 inches. There was not expansion and the recovered weight was 35.1 grains. The second round’s velocity was 777fps and it penetrated to 9.75 inches. The hollow point deformed but did not expand over its original size. The recovered weight was 35 grains.

When shot in the gel-covered with the heavy clothing the first round had a velocity of 801fps and it penetrated to 12.25 inches. There was not expansion and the recovered weight was 35.1 grains. The last round penetrated to 9.5 inches with no expansion. Its recovered weight was 35.1 grains also and there was not a velocity reading.

I’m going to try and wrap this up tomorrow and return the pistol. Next will be the Hornady 35gr XTP and then some Fiocchi FMJ.
Old January 3, 2020, 01:13 AM   #2
TruthTellers

I've yet to see any factory .25 JHP expand ever. Even if the stuff did expand, the penetration would be abysmal, but that aside, how is it that these companies that make ammo for a living can't design a bullet in a low velocity caliber to expand? Like, we see the same issues in .32 and some .380's and these ammo companies know what the velocities are going to be, they know most of the guns they will be shot with will be barrels 2.75" to 3.5" in length (2" for the .25) and they still can't make a hollow point expand.

It's ridiculous.
Old January 3, 2020, 01:42 AM   #3
Carmady

They make ammo for a living. They don't need it to expand. They need people to buy it.

It's marketing.

I've watched a bunch of these ammo testing vids on youtube. The usual results are iffy for the .380, and forget-about-it for the .25 and .32.
Old January 3, 2020, 04:52 AM   #4
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady View Post
They make ammo for a living. They don't need it to expand. They need people to buy it.

It's marketing.

I've watched a bunch of these ammo testing vids on youtube. The usual results are iffy for the .380, and forget-about-it for the .25 and .32.
Damn, that's woke stuff right there. To think that before youtube and social media and all the testing videos we see now, for many years people were carrying around hollow points thinking they were the bees knees when in reality it was junk.
Old January 3, 2020, 05:12 AM   #5
Carmady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
...for many years people were carrying around hollow points thinking they were the bees knees when in reality it was junk.
One of the most highly respected .32 pistols was designed to shoot Winchester Silvertips, which of course won't expand when fired from that pistol.

We're making progress. The bullets still don't expand, but now we know about it.
Old January 3, 2020, 09:39 AM   #6
JERRYS.

this velocity is very slow for a 35gr. load. its what I would expect from a 50gr. load. had this round been going another 200 fps faster...….