The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 12, 2002, 02:19 PM   #1
striderteen

Yet Another "Non-Weapon as Weapon" Thread

Okay...BB guns are out. Airsoft guns are out. Super Soakers are out.

How 'bout a paintball gun?

It doesn't have enough velocity to cause any real damage, but paintballs spatter & sting; I think a paintball or two to the face would provide enough of a distraction to allow me to cut & run.
Old February 12, 2002, 02:26 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Might well turn back one who is not all that intent on advancing.

Just be sure you don't point that thing at an armed person. Could get you killed to death.

Sam
Old February 12, 2002, 02:39 PM   #3
striderteen

He can't shoot if he can't see...maybe worth getting the select-fire upgrade for my Tippmann Model 98.
Old February 12, 2002, 02:43 PM   #4
Joe Demko

How about a nice wrist-rocket type slingshot and a .45-.50 cal lead or steel ball as ammo?
Old February 12, 2002, 02:55 PM   #5
striderteen

I'm a lousy shot with slingshots...I'm a good one with that paintball gun.
Old February 12, 2002, 03:04 PM   #6
fix

If you're in NJ...slingshots are not an option.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hreadid=100665
Old February 12, 2002, 03:29 PM   #7
redneck

I'd say that sustained fire froma paintball gun would stop someone as long as they weren't a crazed psycho.
There are all sorts of things that can be shot from a paintball gun too, that will hurt alot more. Cherry heads ( candy, like gobstoppers) put a pretty good dent in a peice of stove pipe from about 30ft. Glass slingshot ammo would probably work. I doubt it could shoot a .68 minnie ball very well.
Make sure you don't confuse what your loaded with at a paintball match, team colors shouldn't be blue vs. stainless
Old February 12, 2002, 04:30 PM   #8
Bogie

Ferchrissake, get away from the "can I shoot the goblin that's trying to break into my house" routine... Just be prepared, and deal with things... Having an softball bat lying around is one thing - modifying a cuisinart to serve as a ninja throwing star is completely different...

My advice - Get a flippin' wrist rocket (I do carry one in my car...) and some .50 lead balls. And learn to run well, at least until you move.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old February 12, 2002, 07:45 PM   #9
ronin308

#1-Most paintball guns are not allowed in college dorms. You'll get in even more trouble if you have it stuffed with marbles or something like that.

#2-I've played a lot of paintball and if you hit someone (with a regular ball) you'd better kill or knock them out. They will probably beat you to death if you don't.

#3-Using a paintball gun is still assault and battery, so why not use a friggin' bat instead then?

#4-KISS, Keep it Super Simple. I wouldn't want to rely on a paintball gun to keep me outta trouble. I'd rather have an ASP, knife, bat, axe handle, or even my bare hands. It seems like you're thinking too complicated. Like Bogie said, "just be prepared".

My advice would be to learn how to brawl hand to hand. Most college problems never go far enough to need weaponry. If you think you need a weapon, buy a bat, ASP, hammer, whatever, just don't try to Rube Goldberg your self defense strategy

Dan
Old February 12, 2002, 09:51 PM   #10
woodland

"I think a paintball or two to the face would provide enough of a distraction"

Sounds like a lawsuit to me. Remember the old saying, "If you have to shoot'em, make sure they're dead." A paint ball in the eye will most likely not be fatal, but almost surely will be permanently disabling if not blinding. While I personaly would have no problem with this outcome for someone stupid enough to invade your home uninvited, I would almost bet you would end up paying him in court. It's pretty sad. I heard of one guy who was going through a window, fell and broke his arm or leg or something, and sued the home owner and actualy won!Somehow I think a bat or something a little more "traditional" would be viewed differently.

By the way, paintballs are fatal on 18" long packrats!!!

Last edited by woodland; February 12, 2002 at 10:30 PM.
Old February 12, 2002, 10:06 PM   #11
Carbon_15

Anyone who plays paintball knows they hurt like heck...anyone that plays on a public field knows frozen paintballs REALLY hurt and can break small bones like fingers and knee caps. A frozen paintball to an unprotected face could put someone out of commision for good. this is all just hypothetical...right
Old February 13, 2002, 07:42 AM   #12
loandr.

paintball

Im 5'7 150lbs. Not a drug crazed monster by any means...
quick story about two yrs. ago I was walking out of a grocery store in Boca Raton Fl. While putting my groceries away I was
the subject of what could have been a life threatening joke on their part (since I carry regularly CCW holder) I was shot 3 times
in the back. After realizing it wasnt a small caliber handgun and wiping yellow paint from my glasses shirt and jacket. I approached the vehicle with 2 young (15-16yrs old youths)
yanked the obvious paintgun from there hands( a splatmaster it said) and proceeded to break 3 of there car windows with it. then tossed it in the dumpster (i know should have let LEO handle it but thats how it unraveled) Moral of the story even a little guy when shot with a paintball gets PISSED OFF. and for them the outcome could have only been worse (returned real gunfire etc)
stay away from paintball guns and heed the advise of the wise members quoted above.
loandr.
Old February 13, 2002, 08:46 AM   #13
ronin308

Carbon_15- This is for a self defense tool, so how can he keep the balls frozen while loaded in the gun? Either he loads it when he needs it, or he puts the whole rig in the freezer. Either way, its all pretty silly

loandr.- Those kids are lucky to be alive! I'm glad to hear that you didn't get in trouble for smashing their windows. Those ***** deserved it!
Old February 13, 2002, 11:23 AM   #14
David Scott

Can you get paintballs filled with OC liquid?
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old February 13, 2002, 07:12 PM   #15
Jody Hudson

Holy Cow folks. Just get a pair of chain saws and a couple of quick draw hanging holsters for them like the tree trimmers have.

Bad Guys do not generally continue the attack in the face of a pair of chain saws... Of course there is the time to start them. Hey Thuggo, wait while I start these Thangs...

You guys are a HOOT with all this stuff.
Old February 14, 2002, 01:52 PM   #16
CWL

I know of two incidents where people were permanently blinded after being hit in the eye by paintballs in drive-bys. Still doesn't seem like a good defensive weapon though.

I have used wrist rockets with .50 lead bullets and think that they would be much more lethal. Also more compact and silent.
Old February 14, 2002, 02:36 PM   #17
CWL

I know of two incidents where people were permanently blinded after being hit in the eye by paintballs in drive-bys. Still doesn't seem like a good defensive weapon though.

I have used wrist rockets with .50 lead bullets and think that they would be much more lethal. Also more compact and silent.
Old February 14, 2002, 07:09 PM   #18
loandr.

?

In the eye??? In the head??? these phrases have come up several times in this thread. If ones skill level is HIGH enough
to nail an unexpected assailant in the EYE...while moving.....
they need not worry about his or hers saftey. at that point you could just shoot paper clips :-) seriously good luck and stick with a bat. even a wrist rocket can get you in deep water.
loandr.
Old February 14, 2002, 09:18 PM   #19
Carbon_15

<"this is all just hypothetical...right">

ronin308, I kinda thought we were just batting thoughts about, not planing out real self defence strategy. No one thinks a paintball gun is a realist defence tool, right?? I mean, just get a baseball bat.

BTW, This is me in my paintball garb AFTER a day at the field. Notice the lack of paint splaters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paintball-gear2.jpg (67.2 KB, 43 views)
Old February 14, 2002, 09:24 PM   #20
ronin308

Carbon_15- I thought Striderteen was actually considering it. But only he can say for certain. Anyways, it must be nice not to get all painted up I play at this indoor arena sometimes and if you survive a night without getting tagged you are probably amazing! I don't get to play too much anymore though. Oh well, I still get to shoot at least once a week

Dan
Old February 14, 2002, 09:48 PM   #21
45Rookie

You might as well use a potato gun............all paintguns do are piss people off. Though a friends of mine in high school had a nice outcome with one. It was Halloween night, they had a truck full of beer, CO2, Paintballs and a paintgun. Both driver and passanger windows were down, while they were crusing a some kid threw a m80 (its a 1/4 stick of TNT I think) at there blazer. Well lucky for my friends the kid missed and well they loaded the paintgun and returned to favor. A few shots later and kid got knocked on the ground, the cops later showed up, and my friends got pulled over. Lucky for them the cops gave them the option of giving up the paintgun, Co2 and paintballs for the night or get charged with a drive by shooting! With a truck full of beer they gave up the gun, and picked it up at the local department the next day, with half of the CO2 and paintballs missing.............
Old February 14, 2002, 10:18 PM   #22
Carbon_15

ronin, Its not to hard where I play. Most of the dumb a$$es run around out in the open (on an outdoor woods field) in paintball jersies that look like motorcross gear. It dosnt hurt that most of the brightly colored mall ninjas start shooting at you from 100 yards away with their $1500 full auto Cocker or Angel sticking out blindly from behind a tree. Its so satisfying to flank them and sit a few feet behind them and wait for their 200 round hopper to empty into the spot you were 2 minutes ago. Then when they reach for a reload from their 2000 round tactical vest..SPLAT. I'm not really that good and have only been playing for a year or so, but I keep killing the so called pro's at my field who insist that lots of paint, fast is the way to play..I call it the Wagner Power Sprayer technique. Most pro's are proud of 2 kills in 200 shots. I seldom take more that one hopper full into a game. Its amazing how far a little common sence, way to many war movies as a kid and some hunting experiance can take you.

This was that same morning before the games
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paintball-gear.jpg (38.3 KB, 44 views)
Old February 15, 2002, 08:36 AM   #23
ronin308

LOL! I love those paint-tac guys! My buddies and I cleaned out a whole 10 man team indoors one time. They all had Shockers and we had a Tippman 98's, Prolites, a Spyder, and one guy had a Stingray II. The guy with the Stingray II snuck up on a guy: The guy was standing and my friend sneaks around the corner and puts the muzzle of his $80 gun right under the guy's chin and says "You're dead" He used about 70 paintballs that night and he had something like 9-12 kills. We were playing center flag and I don't think the other team ever even won one round

Dan
Old February 15, 2002, 04:17 PM   #24
striderteen

No, it was purely a hypothetical question. If someone tries to break into my room, I will go for the "decorative" samurai sword I have hanging over the door. It is just a wallhanger, but I keep it sharp enough to do some major damage -- I can pretty much guarantee that I will stop the person unless he/she is a skilled martial artist, in which case I am dead anyway, weapon or no.
Old February 15, 2002, 05:35 PM   #25
fix

Quote:
I can pretty much guarantee that I will stop the person unless he/she is a skilled martial artist, in which case I am dead anyway, weapon or no.
Hmmph. I don't care if it's Jackie Chan, he ain't gonna be much of a threat with 10 155gr JHP .40 bullets in his chest.