The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Cheapshooter

Taurus Spectrum???

It's been out for a while now, so what's the verdict from those who have one?
I need another pocket 380 like a third eye, but a local farm & home have them this week for $129.98. So what can be wrong with a hundred and something dollar pistol?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 5, 2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

I am a fan boy of pocket guns. I took the Spectrum out for a test. Brought quite a bit of ammo. I am not a Taurus basher, Never owned one, but have friends that do and like them. And Taurus seems to be improving in many ways. I had high hopes for the Spectrum. Was looking forward to finding a nice little gun to add to my collection. I was sadly disappointed.
The gun was just a sloppy shooter compared to the guns I now own. I had many light primer strikes. The build quality was cheap. I walked away from the shooting session well before half way through the ammunition I had brought. Just not for me. And again, I was disappointed. I was hoping go actually buy one.

There are many other Pocket guns out there, that are much better IMO. Better quality, build, sights etc. JMO
Old December 5, 2019, 12:55 PM   #3
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
It's been out for a while now, so what's the verdict from those who have one?

I need another pocket 380 like a third eye, but a local farm & home have them this week for $129.98. So what can be wrong with a hundred and something dollar pistol?

I’m a fan of Taurus revolvers.

I have not shot a lot of Taurus Semiautomatic pistols, though.

Considering it is cheaper and smaller than a HiPoint Pistol, I think it would be worth the risk. What do you have to lose except time and a box of bullets? I think the major problem would be the trigger.

However if you are a tinkerer like myself, and there was a YouTube tutorial, I’m sure you can work on the trigger to make it more usable.

I find the trigger on a few of their semiauto pistols to be stiff.

Since I’m a revolver shooter, though, there aren’t too many triggers on semiautomatics that are heavier than the double action of my revolvers. I took that approach with the Nano by Beretta and it shot well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 5, 2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Forte S+W

I really wanted to like the Spectrum 380. I was really hyped for it when it was first announced because it seemed like the best 380 Pocket Pistol. It had the look, the features, and the feel of a winner, but then it got delayed only to be released plagued by light primer strikes.

I had hoped that Taurus would quickly recall the pistols, fix all the problems, and come out with a winner, but as far as I know none of that ever happened.

Ultimately, I chose to spend a bit more for a Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition. $139 is still too much money to spend on an unreliable firearm, so unless Taurus has fixed the Spectrum without me ever hearing about it, (which is unlikely since I'm a regular on the Taurus Forums) I would spend a bit more on something else, including Taurus' previous 380 Pocket Pistol, the TCP-738, which I know from experience through my brother is a 100% reliable firearm.

That being said, if it has indeed been fixed, then please let me know, as I still love the look, features, and feel of the Spectrum 380, ergo I would be thrilled to get a reliable example for $139.
Old December 5, 2019, 09:58 PM   #5
osbornk

I Paid $119.99 a while back for my Spectrum from the same Farm and Home store that you are referring to. It shoots well and I have not had any malfunctions with it at all. I shoot it better than I do my TCP I have had for years. Based on my experience, I would not hesitate to recommend it.
Old December 7, 2019, 07:45 AM   #6
Carl the Floor Walker

CDR, do you know what the pull weight is on the Spectrum. It has been quite a while since I tested the gun and quite frankly do not remember having any issues with the trigger. I also shoot a lot of DAO and what I see as some folks complaining about heavy triggers is not reality for myself. Especially for a Pocket gun which I want a heavier trigger.
A DAO trigger that is smooth, deliberate, and controlled all the way through is a wonderful trigger IMO. Kahr, Beretta Nano/Apx Carry, Pico, LCR, Smith 642 with trigger job etc, for example.
One thing I most emphatically do not want is a Light Trigger on one.

The light primer strikes I had could very well be the fact that it needs a heavier recoil spring. I would not be intereted in trying to tweak a DAO trigger for weight, so much as I would smoothness. The original Pico did have a very heavy trigger and slide racking but the Gen2 saw a big improvement going from a double recoil spring to a single spring and a lighter trigger. What ever they did, the gun is extremely reliable.

At some point, I hope to take a Spectrum out for a second chance. Still have high hopes for the gun. And if I do see one for $119.00 I will most like purchase it, just for the heck of it.
Thanks for your post.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; December 7, 2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old December 7, 2019, 08:17 AM   #7
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
CDR, do you know what the pull weight is on the Spectrum.

At some point, I hope to take a Spectrum out for a second chance. Still have high hopes for the gun. And if I do see one for $119.00 I will most like purchase it, just for the heck of it.

Thanks for your post.

Various reviews say 7-9 lb range which is still lighter than a double action only revolver.

I’d say for a revolver guy, like me, that it is not a bad trigger pull. But for a person who only shoots semiautomatics or striker fire pistols, it would be quite heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 7, 2019, 09:38 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I Paid $119.99 a while back for my Spectrum from the same Farm and Home store that you are referring to.
Nope, don't think so. Unless Buchheit's from SW Misouri has a store in the Appalachian mountains.

If I get a chance to get out there, and they still have them in stock I might just go ahead an get one. I paid more than that for a Hi-Point just to see if they could possibly be as bad as the haters said. I was pleasantly surprised, so maybe I'll have the same result with the Taurus.

In the same add they also have a Virtex 4-12 scope at a great price. Considering I am about to start 224 Valkryiie build that it would work great on it's gonna be one or the other, or nothing at all. Depending on what is in stock when I get there.
Old December 8, 2019, 09:20 AM   #9
OhioGuy

I found it to feel almost like a toy from a Happy Meal. I'm not knocking the brand, but wow, plasticky and the trigger was crunchy, long, stacked a lot... Didn't find it pleasant to shoot. I got a Beretta Pico for $189 that was loads better.

I've eventually settled on a J Frame revolver for deep concealment as no .380 pocket gun is easy for me to shoot well. I'm far better with a .38sp revolver. I carry deep once in a blue moon anyway, it's nearly always a 9mm
Old December 8, 2019, 11:45 AM   #10
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Nope, don't think so. Unless Buchheit's from SW Misouri has a store in the Appalachian mountains.

If I get a chance to get out there, and they still have them in stock I might just go ahead an get one. I paid more than that for a Hi-Point just to see if they could possibly be as bad as the haters said. I was pleasantly surprised, so maybe I'll have the same result with the Taurus.

In the same add they also have a Virtex 4-12 scope at a great price. Considering I am about to start 224 Valkryiie build that it would work great on it's gonna be one or the other, or nothing at all. Depending on what is in stock when I get there.
Sorry. Got mine at Rural King. That store has really cost me since opened a coupke of years ago.
Old December 8, 2019, 04:36 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Sorry. Got mine at Rural King. That store has really cost me since opened a coupke of years ago.
Figured that was the one. They do have some really good prices.
The closest one for me is maybe 25-30 miles away, and in a direction I don't often go. But I do watch their adds, and "one of these days"! LOL
But Farm and Home also have some pretty good prices and sales, and is about a half mile. Buchheits has a store about five or six miles away. They cost me enough!